Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Dedicated Server Bandwidth  (Read 2399 times)

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
Dedicated Server Bandwidth
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:55:20 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if LunarPages is going to raise the monthly dedicated server bandwidth to match at least the monthly bandwidth of Basic Hosting Plan, right now at 3,500 GB.

Thanks,

Natxo "Baraja"

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
Re: Dedicated Server Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 04:42:46 AM »
Hi Baraja,

These forums is just a community of lunarpages customers and staff members. I doubt that anybody in here has an idea about pending plan changes. However, you may send you opinion  on the monthly bandwidth of our dedicated plans to feedback@lunarpages.com. Any feedback is appreciated.

Have a good day!
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I am going to do that  :happy:

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:50:05 AM »
Hi, there has been no answer as of yet.

I really don't understand that the basic plan offers 3,500 GB per 6.95$ and we just get 2,000 GB paying 30 times more in Dedicated. And now we get less support without the Dedicated chat.

Looks like they want us to get a Basic plan in order to be able to host more files for our users to download  :(

Not happy right now  :?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:52:08 AM by baraja »

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
Well, with the dedicated plan - you get a few more other perks that the basic or other shared hosting plans that Lunarpages provides do not get.  You have more server resources to go around such as RAM and CPU usage.  You have more control over what can be installed on the hosting account itself - where the shared plans may be limited to what is available on the server they are on.  There are a lot of good "perks" for the dedicated customers I think still. :)
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:38:56 AM »
Yes, that's true, Mitch.

But I find this policy not very customer-friendly.

What Lunarpages is "suggesting" us is to sign in for a Basic Plan and register a new domain in order to access 3,500 GB more bandwidth a month and 350 GB extra storage.

They could offer us those improvements integrated in our Dedicated Hosting package for like 10-15$ extra per month for customers like me who host large forums with pictures attached, just for the convenience of the option.

I just don't really need more RAM or CPU in order to serve the pictures that my forum users post, just the bandwidth and storage.

I really hope the Lunarpages administration considers this suggestion 'cause  I don't want to be forced to look for other options outside Lunarpages to host picture attachments  :(

An ETA for such feature would be nice (hint, hint)  :notme:

Offline stephen.c

• Galactic Royalty
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:55:34 AM »
How much bandwidth are you using each month?
Stephen

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:15:52 AM »
How much bandwidth are you using each month?

This month will be around 2,100 GB / month according to my predictions.

My forum keeps growing, right now more than 10,000 visits/day and 195,000 pages/day served coming from 5,500 visits and 115,000 pages/day average in January.

The last two months I had to limit the access to attachments for two days so I didn't exceed the 2,000 GB per month.

Right now my forum can't grow any more because of the 2,000 GB limit, that's my problem.

Thanks for reading

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »
Hi Baraja,

Mitch told correct things, you get much many advantages with the dedicated plan than with any other hosting package. Looking at the visitor numbers you provided, I bet that there will be issues with hosting  the pictures part of the site on the shared plan because it can attract hundreds of concurrent connections from your forums visitors. However, situations, when one site or account starts utilizing a great part of server resources which include not only the bandwidth and disk space are not allowed on the shared servers.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned these forums are just a community of people having a relationship with Lunarpages and we can't have an idea about upcoming plan changes (or can't mention them until official announce is made). You need to contact the company management via the feedback address give your opinion and get the official answer.

As a temporary solution, I would recommend purchasing a second dedicated server and splitting your forums in 2 parts to utilize the combined bandwidth.

Please advise if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov