Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Making a logo  (Read 5965 times)

Offline xarzu

Making a logo
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
I am really just starting out.

But already it seems to be that you can do a lot of the cool 3d shadowing that you might do with a true 3d Modeling software (like Maya ) in photoshop.

For example, can anyone tell me how I could do this sort of box-like shadowing and shading like this:

I did not do this image.  I am looking for some advice on how to do this sort of thing.  I want to do something a little simular.

RandyT

Re: Making a logo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:11:38 PM »
Hey xarzu. If anyone knew how to do that it would require a few pages here to detail it out, I would suggest doing a search on google for '3d effects in photoshop' to find tutorial sites that might help.

I hope this helps,
RandyT

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:39:26 PM »
You might actually find it easier to do 3D stuff in POV-ray. You can do all the way up to fully photorealistic work.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline imagessence

• Trekkie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »
It's really just a matter of visual logic and knowing what gives the viewer the impression that an object is three dimensional. Look closely at the separate parts that make up your example. Plus, of course, learning your tools. I highly recommend just "playing" with Photoshop's tools and features to learn what does what. You'll find any one thing might be accomplished in a variety of ways. Discovery can be fun!

As for MrPhil's suggestion, while I've never delved into POVray, I've scene beautiful work done with it. It is actually  a 3D app. I may try it out...one of these days.

As to the word "logo"
It's my humble suggestion that if you want to create logos for clients, always work in vector first. Clients will swear on a stack of bibles that they only want a low resolution web logo, only to come back months later whining that their logo won't print cleanly. Much easier to start with a vector image, store the original away safely and apply all the raster effects you want to on a copy. Just a thought.

inez
Somehow the web has given me a whole new appreciation of 2D print design :shades:

todd_1

Offline BMW_CHUBB

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »
I can make you a psd file with the glass effect :shades:

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
That's just a whole bunch of gradients, my friend. Sorry for the late reply...
Oh, and you'd want to get into mapping and such in photoshop, there's plenty of stuff online that you can delve into on how to make realistic 3d images of 2d things.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline dyamni

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »
once visit this site cooltext.com/   in this site anyone  can develop  affectionate logo according requirement .

Offline voyageofthedolphins

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:44 AM »
You could also buy software like Logo Creator or AAA Logo to achieve simple logo effects.

VOTD

Offline PixiWork

• Graphic/Web Dev Designer
  • Intergalactic Cowboy
    • PixiWork
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Well that pic is being create by Graphic Designer.
I am a graphic designer (Web to Print) myself and work as designer for living today.

You will need software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator for this. They are expensive software for work. I'm sure there are other like Xara software and etc.

In my view, I hate software company for developing Logo software automatic create for you. Bad side, nothing is unique if you do use those software. Unlucky on the web you will come up 2 company using the same logo.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:17:57 AM by PixiWork »

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
You don't have  to spend any  money for tools like POV-ray and The GIMP. Unfortunately, as PixiWork alluded to, canned software has no creativity and originality. For that, you need a human with taste, sense, training, experience, and yes, creativity and originality. Be prepared to spend big bucks for these if you can't do it yourself.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-