Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Interesting Flash Header Problem  (Read 6576 times)

Offline raw02

  • Spacescooter Operator
  • *****
  • Posts: 31
Interesting Flash Header Problem
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:03 AM »
Good Afternoon,

I am having a bit of a problem with my flash header on my website-

When you first land on any page within my website, the button links (that go to pages within my site) in my flash header do not work. However, the flash links will begin to work if you instead FIRST click on one of the html-based links that I have at the bottom of my pages. Once you do this, all of the links in the flash header continue to work like normal as long as you remain within my domain. If you leave my domain and then come back, you have to go through the same process in order for the links in the flash header to work. What is going on?!?! How can I fix this?! 

Thank you!

todd_1

  • Guest
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »
can you post a link of the problem url?

Offline raw02

  • Spacescooter Operator
  • *****
  • Posts: 31
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »
re
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:44:55 AM by raw02 »

Offline stephen.c

  • Galactic Royalty
  • *****
  • Posts: 377
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
your buttons work fine for me.  :yep: (IE6)
Stephen

Offline raw02

  • Spacescooter Operator
  • *****
  • Posts: 31
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:47:12 AM »
I am also using IE6, but they don't work for me unless I go through the process I described in my initial post. The header also uses ActiveX, so I'm wondering if the issue has something to do with firewalls or antivirus software on individual machines that are somehow blocking the ActiveX?? But why would the issue reslove itself once you click on one of the html-based links at the bottom? Can this be fixed??

Offline raw02

  • Spacescooter Operator
  • *****
  • Posts: 31
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
UPDATE:

OK, so I just realized something else- The links in the flash header will also work when you come to the domain through an external hyperlink, such as the one I posted above. Stephen.c, this is probably what you did.

Instead, try typing  directly into the address bar to navigate to the site. Now the flash buttons do not work (at least not for me). What is going on?!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:45:10 AM by raw02 »

Offline joemasters55

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Re: Interesting Flash Header Problem
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »
I know this topic is old but I was having the same weird problem for years.  When I was initially trying to find an answer I came across this thread some time ago.  Unfortunately, no one had an answer but at least I knew I wasn't the only person in the world who had the problem.

I got a way around it by having javascript redirect the visitor to another version of the page which was virtually the same, but it got the links working.  I eventually discovered that the real problem was that the Flash links would not work when the url did not include "www" in it.  I don't understand why, but as long as "www" is i the url, the links would work, and that is why having javascript redirect to another page worked, simply becasue I told it to redirect to a url and had "www" in it.  Despite knowing what was causing it (sort of), I still had to use javascropt redirects because I couldn't count on people always typing the "www".

However, it was really frustrating to have to deal with all of that and I decided I needed to know the answer.  I remembered this topioc and had it saved in my favorites and decided to go back to it to see if anyone had posted an answer.  Unfortunately, no one did, so I continued to try to find a resolution myself.

I finally did!  I don't understand actionscript, or why the resolution fixes the problem, I just know it does.  When you place the html code in the webpage to embed the Flash movie, there are two areas that say "Allow Script Access Value="", or something like that.  The default value Flash gives it is "samedomain".  Instead of it saying "samedomain", change it to "always".  That will make it work normally.  Change both of these sections.

Anyways, I thought I'd just post the answer here to be thoughtful in case somebody out there has the same problem, or if the original poster had not found the answer to the problem yet.