Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Finally Finished!!!!!  (Read 2412 times)

Offline King_Coder

• dreamcatcher
  • Spaceship Captain
    • Wizard Scripts
Finally Finished!!!!!
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »
I've been working on this site forever and it's just now to a point where I can officially release it.  It still has a few problems with staying logged in, but other than that it's working fine.  I bridged the script and forum database so users only have to signup once!

homepage: http://www.wizardscripts.com

forum: http://www.wizardscripts.com/forum/

I would appreciate comments, suggestions and feedback.  I like nice comments, but if you think something needs changing or updating please let me know. I want this to be the last update I do for a while.

If you are running on 56k, please let me know the loading speed of both the forum and homepage.  If you're an old guy, let me know how easy the text is to read.

Thanks to Mr. Phil for getting that annoying redirect to work for me.

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
Re: Finally Finished!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
I think the look is nice, especially at 1280 x 1024 with the building in the background.

The blue text on the index and register pages is pretty hard to read. You have white text on the same blue background on the forum and it looks great. Brightens up the page.

Offline King_Coder

• dreamcatcher
  • Spaceship Captain
    • Wizard Scripts
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
Thanks.  I tried changing to all white, but it's too much contract. I lightened up to a grayish color, so see what you think of that.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »
I would appreciate comments, suggestions and feedback.  I like nice comments, but if you think something needs changing or updating please let me know. I want this to be the last update I do for a while.

Colors seem to be OK. My only complaint is that you have the table fixed 1000 wide, forcing me to scroll left and right.

Quote from: King_Coder
If you are running on 56k, please let me know the loading speed of both the forum and homepage.  If you're an old guy, let me know how easy the text is to read.

Eh? Wait a moment while I find my hearing trumpet. Text size isn't too bad -- maybe one size larger? Yellow-on-blue-ish is a bit tough on my eyes, but is survivable. I'm on 56k, and it seems to have loaded the Home Page in reasonable time. I haven't gone exploring past the Home Page -- kinda busy right now.

Quote from: King_Coder
Thanks to Mr. Phil for getting that annoying redirect to work for me.

You're most welcome. I'm glad you got it to work out!

convient manor -> convenient manner
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
Hey, I really like your site concept! A few comments: It is a bit wide, have you considered a liquid width design (or at least narrow down below 1024)? Accessability has a few issues, Mix of sizable and non sizable fonts was a bit disconcerting. I would increase the contrast or the font size. Text contrast is a bit lacking, which was one of the reasons, I was trying to enlarge the fonts (OK, perhaps I am just an old guy or maybe I just like to try and break site formatting). Generally I find the design pretty well suited for the target audience.

Offline King_Coder

• dreamcatcher
  • Spaceship Captain
    • Wizard Scripts
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 04:39:24 AM »
Hey, I really like your site concept! A few comments: It is a bit wide, have you considered a liquid width design (or at least narrow down below 1024)?
I thought about it, but I don't like a site to fill the whole screen.   There's just not enough content to do so.  What about knocking it down to say 900px?

Accessability has a few issues
Accessibility as in hard to understand how exactly the one time signup works? 

Mix of sizable and non sizable fonts was a bit disconcerting
Can you explain a little more on that?

I would increase the contrast or the font size. Text contrast is a bit lacking, which was one of the reasons, I was trying to enlarge the fonts
I will change the dark font to white, so please let me know what you think of that.

(OK, perhaps I am just an old guy or maybe I just like to try and break site formatting).
That's good, though.  I've been trying to find a design I like for over 1.5 years and I think I finally got it, but there's still somethings lacking.  Hopefully, with you guys helping me out I can make this the last update for a long time (I'm SICK of working on it).

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:59:43 AM »
Currently, I get horizontal scroll bars with 1024 x 768 resolution. I meant you should narrow it down below the scrollbar needed threshold. 900 would probably be good.

I used accessibility as in general ease of browsing and reading (especially for aging eyes). So when I went to increase the text size in my browser to ease my eyes a bit, I noticed that the majority of font sizes used were static and could not be changed. But some text did change. I would suggest you go one way or another, not mix them. Static font sizes along with a static width allow you full control of the formatting of your page, while a more liquid design allows for the user more flexibility in using the site.

:notme: What's up with the logged in issue? I keep reverting to guest which might piss off a less forgiving person!

Offline King_Coder

• dreamcatcher
  • Spaceship Captain
    • Wizard Scripts
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 05:09:51 AM »
What's up with the logged in issue? I keep reverting to guest which might piss off a less forgiving person!
I'm having that looked at today.  It is a VERY annoying problem and it seems to be happening at the forum too.  What's weird is the right cookies and cookie values are there, so I'm wondering if it's a firefox problem (at least on the forum).

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 05:18:39 AM »
For what it is worth, I have been browsing your site with IE7, have not tried it with 6 or any FF versions.

Offline mxgirl

• Intergalactic Superstar
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:15:58 AM »
It looks nice!  I'm on dialup and it loaded right away but was a bit wide for my screen. I was able to figure out what your site was all about right from the start and the color combination works well.  Simple and clean always looks good.  Good luck! :thumb:

Offline King_Coder

• dreamcatcher
  • Spaceship Captain
    • Wizard Scripts
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »
Check it out at 960.  It seems to work nice at 1280x7something.  I was thinking of having a minimum width of 960 and allow variable width after that (and possible have a fixed max width).

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:17:19 AM »
Looking good. No horizontal scroll bars at 1024 width. Hooray!