Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Windows Updates - Dedicated Host  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Blinker

• Trekkie
Windows Updates - Dedicated Host
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:58:27 AM »
We're new dedicated host customers, and when I do a remote desktop connection to our Server, I notice that there are several Security Updates that are to be installed on the server.

Question, can I install these and recycle the machine safely? ie: Once the machine restarts, will I be able to remote desktop in to compete the login process? Will all server services start successfully PRIOR to to logging in?

What's recommended??

Thanks!
Mike.

Lupine1647

Re: Windows Updates - Dedicated Host
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59:34 PM »
You should be able to restart the system fine for updates. You can ask dedicated support at http://www.dedicated@lunarpages.com/ to see if the services will restart upon boot.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
Re: Windows Updates - Dedicated Host
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:01 PM »
NOTE: the following is based on a windows server I run at work, not an LP hosted server...

Most services (e.g. mail, IIS, etc.) should be set to start automatically upon reboot.  The updates should not impact access to remote desktop, but keep in mind that you won't be able to connect until that service has started up which could take a couple of minutes as the machine cycles through everything... I've been doing this for a few years now without any problems...

The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.