Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: "Consolidate" accounts.  (Read 1954 times)

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
"Consolidate" accounts.
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »
I have 3 hosting accounts that don't use or need anywhere near the awesome amount of space and bandwidth that LP now offers.

All 3 have the free domain for life attached to them.

If I want to pick one to keep and do add-on domains for the other two, what will happen with the domain names of the other two?  Will they stay with TuCows?  How much would those domains then cost me per year?  And would they want money right away?

Any tips or tricks to getting this done that you can offer me?

Thanks!!
Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
Re: "Consolidate" accounts.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »
Can't say for sure, but I believe the domain names would stay registered with the current registrar. You might need to update the nameserver information for them though to match that of the account you are adding them to. I believe the current domain name cost is $7.95/year if registered through LP for each domain name. The domain names wouldn't expire until their normal expiration date, but I'm not sure how LP handles this sort of situation in terms of charges.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm not sure if you can have subdomains with add-on domains. Not sure if that would be an issue for you or not, but might be something else to consider in all this...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:45:11 PM »
I tried creating subdomains for my addon. There is no error, but what happens is that the subdomain is really subdomain.primarydomain.com. If you have a subdomain with the same name as in the primary, it would show the content of the primary's subdomain even at subdomain.addondomain.com

I say plural subdomains because I forgot what happened so I did it again some time afterward.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
I don't have a use for sub-domains but the long and the short of it is that the space and bandwidth used by 3-4 of my sites would be fine with one hosting account...so unless I'm misunderstanding something, add-on domains would be the way to go.

Does that sound right to y'all?
Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:50:23 AM »
sounding more like it to me... another thing (based on something I saw in another thread), remember that all domains (primary and add-ons) will be on the same server, so you can't split domains across linux and windows platforms. I don't think you need/want to do this, but since it came up in that other thread I thought I would mention it more for others looking at this thread later on... oh, and it will be the same cPanel for all domains now, which might make things easier actually, but could cause some issues if you have others helping out with some sites but not others....

There might be some other issues that I'm not thinking of, but overall it does seem like it should work...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.