Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: KLEG Worm, Gibe Worm  (Read 1526 times)

Offline TWebMan

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • Take charge of your site
KLEG Worm, Gibe Worm
« on: April 26, 2002, 12:02:00 PM »
There's a virus circulating, it may come in different ways.  It is usually, however, an executable attachment to an email (.exe) and not too difficult to apprehend.  Sometimes it comes in as an update or tool package from Microsoft.  Beware, as Microsoft NEVER sends anything like that via email.

I allowed it to run on a test machine to see what it would do.  First off, it tried to mail itself to my entire address book.

After that, it tried to run four separate servers, all calling themselves things like "DirectX Internet Tool" and "Microsoft Net Tools", "Microsoft Support Center", that kind of thing.

It actually created an entire restore point called something like "Operational Restore"!  Maybe at some point it would have reverted to that point, I don't know.

It wasn't very difficult to remove, but then again I didn't let it get very far.  I did not allow a reboot with whatever startup settings it may have generated.  I also had backup reg files I went to immediately. It did all of the above in a matter of seconds.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: TWebMan ]

"Computers cause people to make more mistakes than any other invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."  - Unknown
"Liberty of any kind is seldom lost all at once." - D. Hume
Every day is an Ode to Joy
The planet will be fine... and so will your site