Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: cellphone img download  (Read 2850 times)

Offline wsf

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
cellphone img download
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:46:21 AM »
i want to be able to let my users select a background enter their phone number, and send it to their phone, is there a way i can do this, ive seen a site like this, its mobile17.smashworld.com its free as long as you wait the time to download it to ur phone, can i offer this, and if so, how the hell do i do it?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: cellphone img download
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »
It used to be (and may still be) that cell phones used a different language called WML (Wireless Markup Language). It's XML based, like XHTML, but simpler. You should Google around for cell phone language and WML and see if that's still the case. I have Elizabeth Castro's HTML for the World Wide Web 5th Edition (Peachpit Press, 2003), which has a whole chapter on WML. I would assume that there would be no problem with an account at LP serving up WML pages instead of (X)HTML or PHP, but it might not hurt to check if there's anything in the LP infrastructure that doesn't support WML (if that's what you still need to use).

Phil

P.S. I'm assuming that WML will support what you want to do with a cell phone, rather than having to go to some lower level protocol or download service. Re-reading your post, it sounds more like you want to push content to the phone, versus having the phone pull content from the Web. I don't know for sure if WML is involved in a push.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 02:09:22 PM by MrPhil »
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:07:39 AM »
i have before put a photo on the web (a jpg) and directed my phones web browser to it, and the phone automatically downloaded it, and asked where i wanted to save it.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:58:01 AM »
i have before put a photo on the web (a jpg) and directed my phones web browser to it, and the phone automatically downloaded it, and asked where i wanted to save it.

It sounds like (at least) some phones on the market can handle ordinary Web sites, and not be restricted to WML. That is good.

What you describe is a pull, where the phone's browser makes the request for what is to be downloaded to the phone. I think wsf is looking for a push solution, where some other computer pushes content out to the phone. Presumably the phone has to be told in advance to accept downloads from certain sites or addresses, or else it would be a terrible spam (and security) problem.

This I have no idea how to do. I don't have a cell phone and I don't think I'll ever get one.

Phil
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:26 AM »
Not sure, but if it is an email capable phone, you might be able to email the img as an attachment to the phone... then the attachment could be saved and used as wallpaper or whatever... not something I've really looked into much though...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline GarveysIT

• Berserker Poster
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:41:25 AM »
i can e-mail images to my phone and save them, i suppose it depends on what type of phone you've got as has been mentioned, my phone can handle pretty much anything, i can actually post on forums, check my internet banking e.t.c. so i guess my phone isn't restricted to much.