Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: FormMail.pl - Bad Gateway????  (Read 30429 times)

leighsww

Re: FormMail.pl - Bad Gateway????
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
Try this while you're waiting:

Shebang line (the top most line of the .pl script):

#!C:/www/perl/bin/perl.exe

OR

#!perl.exe

Then try changing the $mailprog part of the CONFIGURATION in the script to your domain name like so:

Code: [Select]
$mailprog = 'SMTP:yourdomain.com';
I'm still looking for other possible solutions in case none of those work, but try those in the meantime  :)

I hope tech support knows the answer though, cuz that would make life so much easier  :yep:

Offline S13D

• Trekkie
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 05:23:47 PM »
just sent tech support an email regarding this matter. thanks for your help! i REALLY appreciate it. :yey:

leighsww

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
 :) okay great, hope there's an answer.

Just for the heck of it though, I found one more possible way to write the shebang line for a Windows server, so replace the very first/top line of the script to:

#!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe
I'm pretty sure that with the right shebang line and changing the $mailprog to your SMTP, that should do it  :). In the CONFIGURATION section, change the $mailprog to this:

$mailprog = 'SMTP:yourdomain.com';
Replace yourdomain.com with your domain name.

* Edited - Okay, I tested out the SMTP part on my server and that works (using the code I gave above for the $mailprog bypasses using sendmail), so the only thing that is needed is the path to perl for the script to work on Windows server.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:44:05 PM by leighsww »

Offline S13D

• Trekkie
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:49 AM »
just wanted to thank you for your help. i've been away and didn't have time to test. after reading your post, it works! i owe ya a beer.  :thumb:

leighsww

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 01:19:07 AM »
That's GREAT! (I'm referring to about it working and not the beer, lol  :))

Which shebang line worked, so I can revise my tutorial to include it for Windows Server users.

Offline S13D

• Trekkie
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 02:22:27 AM »
shebang = #!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe

after unsuccessful attempts in two different FTP programsi'm getting this when i try to change the permissions of the .pl file...

> SITE CHMOD 755 sendtome2.pl
< 500 'SITE CHMOD 755 sendtome2.pl': command not understood

i've downloaded two different FTP programs (CuteFTP and LeechFTP) hoping one would work. unfortunately i've been unsuccessfull with both FTP programs and with "Plesk Control Panel>File Nanager". the permissions i get are 777 by default and stay the same after i change them to 755... any thoughts?

i've reviewed this: http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=18221.msg218534#msg218534

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 05:49:47 AM »
I believe the permission issue applies to the linux based plans but is a completely different animal on the windows plans because of how file permissions are handled. If it is working without needing to change permissions, then there is no reason to change what is working. :)
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

leighsww

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 10:26:32 AM »
I found this Plesk tutorial via Google. I'm sure you did it this way, but take a look at it anyway:

http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=81017

You see where it says "Permissions" in the File Manager? Look to see what that already says first, because in the past there was someone who had the same issue thinking that they had kept changing the permissions to 755 but it wasn't changing, but in actuality, it was already changed after they looked at the tiny numbers on the side of the file in cPanel.

Plesk looks like it doesn't show numbers next to the file (like cPanel does), but it shows the rw-r-r thingys.

Sometimes the programs (FTP especially) do not show what the actual permissions that are already set on the file is when opening their chmod settings thingys, so it throws you off thinking it's not changed when it really is :)

Offline S13D

• Trekkie
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »
i appreciated everyone's help on this matter.  :thumb:

Offline Comet Software

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »
You see where it says "Permissions" in the File Manager? Look to see what that already says first, because in the past there was someone who had the same issue thinking that they had kept changing the permissions to 755 but it wasn't changing, but in actuality, it was already changed after they looked at the tiny numbers on the side of the file in cPanel.

Plesk looks like it doesn't show numbers next to the file (like cPanel does), but it shows the rw-r-r thingys.

I am a new domain here and trying to get FormMail to work.  I am trying to set the permission, but, the "Permissions" panel is different from what is described above.  I am assuming that there is a new version of Plesk.  I don't know how/why I need to differentiate permissions between "Group or user names".  Any help?

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 07:17:31 PM »
the part you quoted is referring to cPanel on the linux plans, not plesk which is on the windows plans... which is why it looks different and is a bit confusing to follow in relation to the tutorial :)

From what I recall, you might not need to change permissions on the file... are you getting an error message when you try to use it?
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

leighsww

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 07:20:37 PM »
Marc, it is Plesk that he was quoting my post with. Read my whole post :)

Comet, someone on Plesk will have to help you with that, as those of us on cPanel won't know how Plesk on the Window's plan looks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:22:26 PM by leighsww »

leighsww

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »
Oh, but I want to add ...

Marc/GMTurner is correct that you may not need to change the permissions for the .pl file on the Windows server (since S13D had mentioned that his form worked before he was attempting to change the permissions), so please link us to your form so we can test it to see what error you are receiving, thus help you better.

Offline Comet Software

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
the part you quoted is referring to cPanel on the linux plans, not plesk which is on the windows plans... which is why it looks different and is a bit confusing to follow in relation to the tutorial :)

That's odd, cus I have a Windows plan.

From what I recall, you might not need to change permissions on the file... are you getting an error message when you try to use it?

Not yet.  When I made the first post, my DNS had not been changed and I was trying to upload everything so that I could test it when the DNS was changed.

Offline Comet Software

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »
Comet, someone on Plesk will have to help you with that, as those of us on cPanel won't know how Plesk on the Window's plan looks.

OK, color me a confused new user.  From my "Customer Pages", I click on "Control Panel" and it takes me to a Plesk application.  So, where do I get/use cPanel?