Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Crankypot.com needs honest review  (Read 1559 times)

Offline vanja2

• Spacescooter Operator
    • 220Volt - Information Highway
Crankypot.com needs honest review
« on: June 05, 2006, 01:36:54 PM »
I 've just finished tweaking and optimizing one of my sites http:www.crankypot.com and would like to get a few opinions on the layout, content and navigation.
It is more of a blog then a full site but i think it has some potential and interesting content.

All suggestions are appreciated

Offline ChessUp

• Spacescooter Operator
    • ChessUp
Re: Crankypot.com needs honest review
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:43:19 PM »
I like it.  I think the red-on-black makes it seem kind of angry, but given the blog's name, I guess that is the point :)

Did you do any coding for the site?  Did you make that Wordpress template yourself?
http://chessup.net - Create chess diagrams.  Online.  For free.

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:50:18 PM »
I like it too. Of course, I've posted there several times. Nothing like a good political argument.

Offline vanja2

• Spacescooter Operator
    • 220Volt - Information Highway
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
Thanks guys.
I didn't do any coding from scratch, but i've tweaked the defaults a lot and i've modified theme to fit the look i wanted.

One more question:
The way i did it with posting is that anyone can comment but if you want to write post you will have to register (to keep spammers out). You think this is a good idea?
So far i haven't received almost any spam.

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:00:26 PM »
I think you're taking a chance letting unregistered people comment but you can always change it if it becomes abusive.

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
I love your site, some of the posts are very good reading.

RAT

Offline TrilliuM

• * The Mad Maggot *
  • Galactic Royalty
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
I'll agree with everyone here lol , an entertaining set of good reads , the layout is also nice and clean , and the colours send a clear message to the users ...  8-) ... As for the actual commenting issue , I don't think it's a bad idea , but keep eyes open , there are too many people out there trying to be a pain in the rear sector  :-? .

Good work  :thumb: .
No!CMS - No!BB Project Manager / Coder

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 09:37:49 PM »
Hi There!

What a great site :)! I'm going to share it with a friend who will get a kick out of it.

Offline sodafox

• Galactic Royalty
  • On my way to RC1
    • gearedlogo.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 02:22:17 AM »
Hi vanja2,

I like the content that you have on your site... great for a laugh an some thought provoking comments too... had to laugh at your recent post about the man and the lion and the first comment about Nietszsche... that put a smile on my face  :)

I checked the site in firefox and IE and it renders a little different in both... IE manages to omit both the horizontal lines and the indent tags on the side menu setup. I don't know whether this is critical to you or not but I thought I'd mention it. I think that the Times New Roman header text is a bit difficult to read on the black background... for me it renders very jagged and I think it would be wise to choose another font so the headings look cleaner and easier to read.

Other than that I think it looks great and definitely worth bookmarking.
I would keep an eye on unregistered comments though and make changes as dictated by your user base.

Cool  :thumb:

Sodafox
Life is too important to be taken seriously :- Oscar Wilde