Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: So What Happened?  (Read 26050 times)

Offline Nicki Faulk

• Web Designer, geek, gamer and aspiring super mom.
  • Jabba the Hutt
  • Sugar, Spice, and Combat Boots.
    • Birthplace of the Process of Illogical Logic
Re: So What Happened?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 12:28:20 PM »
I have a client who has the same ISP as Lunarpages, so it's not just us who were down.  Let's cut LP some slack, ok?  It's been my experience that they are quick to resolve any issues that arise as fast as humanly possible (or faster, hehe).  I'm sure someone will be here soon to post an official announcement.
Hey, who hid my chocolate!!??

Web designer, geek, gamer, and aspiring supermom [ www.nickifaulk.com ]

Proud Soldiers' Angel [ www.soldiersangels.org ]
CTL, Alabama [ www.bamaangels.org ]

Hobby Sites:

* Now We're Cookin' [ www.nowwerecookin.org ]
* Blogroll Directory [ www.blogrolldirectory.org ]

Offline bljohnson

• Spaceship Captain
    • http://www.bjohnson.net
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 12:28:57 PM »
Hello,

We can certainly relate to all of your concerns. A supervisor will post, shortly, what the issue was. Trust me, if we had time to post anything, we would havem but as you probably have noticed, the forums were down as well.

Please accept our apologies, and a supervisor should be making a post shortly, thanks.
Yeah I'm guessing no one got a chance to look at my support ticket about rails pathing issues today like support told me they'd definitely do today hmm?  :D  Well, ok, at least you have a good excuse.  I do have a downtime close to 3 weeks now, but I'd say 2 hours combined downtime for all your customers equates to much longer downtimes and headaches than little ole me :)

Offline kwdavids

• Galactic Royalty
    • Netsmart Technologies
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 12:30:08 PM »
Another hosting company I do business with uses a status page hosted off their network. An off-site status site with an RSS feed would be very useful at times like this.
Kevin

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
What Nitallica said.  One of my non-LP email servers is down (no idea where they're located and are still down) so my first thought was something outside of LP.

Offline DAP

• Space Explorer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
You can check the overall performance of lunarpages.com on http://uptime.besthostratings.com/viewreport.php?host=lunarpages
Thanks Rado!  I was looking for an independent monitoring report like that.  Interesting how April has been a bad month for uptime.

It looks like three of my Lunarpages sites are back now (on nasa, cerebus, and alkaid servers), and one is still down (on the halley server).  account.lunarpages.com is still not responding.

Offline justjake

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »
To the staff at LunarPages:

For all of those that are complaining, if they leave, can i have their space and bandwidth, because I love the service and I think being down 2 hours is relatively minor.  The cats that are complaining about being down would probably try to find another Internet when the root DNS servers go down.. so don't put too much stock into what they say.  Let them migrate to google page builder.  As always, keep up the good work. :yey:

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 12:36:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Apologies for any inconvenience as a result of today's downtime.
We are still investigating the cause, and we are working to get all servers back up and running as we speak.

The system admins are working extra hard and as quickly as possible to resolve this as soon as possible.

Again our Apologies.
We'll update as more details are available

The majority of servers, and sites should be back up and resolving at this time.
As you can expect the ticket and phone support volume will be higher than usual for the next while.

If you are experiencing difficulties reaching your domain at this time, and you have an existing helpdesk ticket open, please do not send additional ones.

If you do not have a ticket open, and your site is open please do not send one at this time, we'll note the cause shortly I'm sure.

If you have trouble resolving your domain, and have tried troubleshooting, please do contact us, via email at support@lunarpages.com and we will get to your ticket as soon as we can, given the amount of volume we're experiencing.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this situation.

Thanks

- Jay

Offline zerodash

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 12:37:25 PM »
My sites are back up- but I am unable to log into my account.  Is anyone else having trouble with this?

Offline tsm26

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 12:38:30 PM »
Yeh, as I noted with traceroute, this problem was a big one.  I am sure that whatever it was affected a huge number of customers.  People forgot the Internet is on a razor edge with routing.  The bigger these isps get the more people it affects, and it is suprisingly easy to mess it up.  All the load balanced servers in the world will not help you when dns, routers, and other backbone pieces get messed up.

Offline ifubiok

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.gulfcoast-solutions.com
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 12:39:56 PM »
I also did a tracert and it ended attempting to reach mzima.net which is the last hop to Lunarpages.  Maybe this one wasn't their fault but I have also had several problems over the last year.

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience.
Everything should be coming online here as we speak.

Your domains, and accounts should be accessible again momentarily, and we are still investigating the cause.

As you can expect the ticket and phone support volume will be higher than usual for the next while.

If you are experiencing difficulties reaching your domain at this time, and you have an existing helpdesk ticket open, please do not send additional ones.

If you do not have a ticket open, and your site is open please do not send one at this time, we'll note the cause shortly I'm sure.

If you have trouble resolving your domain, and have tried troubleshooting, please do contact us, via email at support@lunarpages.com and we will get to your ticket as soon as we can, given the amount of volume we're experiencing.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this situation.

Thanks

Offline Nicki Faulk

• Web Designer, geek, gamer and aspiring super mom.
  • Jabba the Hutt
  • Sugar, Spice, and Combat Boots.
    • Birthplace of the Process of Illogical Logic
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:05 PM »
To the staff at LunarPages:

For all of those that are complaining, if they leave, can i have their space and bandwidth

That right there made me LOL!   :thumb:
Hey, who hid my chocolate!!??

Web designer, geek, gamer, and aspiring supermom [ www.nickifaulk.com ]

Proud Soldiers' Angel [ www.soldiersangels.org ]
CTL, Alabama [ www.bamaangels.org ]

Hobby Sites:

* Now We're Cookin' [ www.nowwerecookin.org ]
* Blogroll Directory [ www.blogrolldirectory.org ]

Offline PillowFighter

• Space Explorer
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2006, 01:53:14 PM »
I sure hope this isn't all Lunarpages' fault, because it's getting embarassing. I too have recommended LP to a number of clients, only to get barraged with email from said clients about problems. Last week I called LP for help getting their email settings right, and the guy on the phone was soooo rude. I was perfectly polite to him, and to be treated like that was a real drag, especially when the people standing next to me were already frustrated with their email never working. The settings information LP sent to me were apparently WRONG and so the email not working wasn't my fault. But every time I asked for confirmation the guy would just say in a real irritated tone, "Yes yes, I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT." Between that sort of thing and the downtime issues I am thinking about alternatives also...

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »
I also did a tracert and it ended attempting to reach mzima.net which is the last hop to Lunarpages.  Maybe this one wasn't their fault but I have also had several problems over the last year.

I'm looking seriously at [another host]
As a business owner, how would you feel if *your* customers raved about competitors on *your* site? Show some class.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline cabruen

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2006, 02:00:57 PM »

I'm looking seriously at [another host]
As a business owner, how would you feel if *your* customers raved about competitors on *your* site? Show some class.

:D Probably doesn't matter since people coming to read the forums, would not get a response from the server, and therefore would see the add for [Competitor]. Good thing the administrators took the time to redact the post, in the midst of this 4hour downtime.