Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: So What Happened?  (Read 26028 times)

Offline jake

• Trekkie
Re: So What Happened?
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2006, 05:31:31 AM »
LP will surely let us know the cause of the power outage, and what will be done to prevent the problem from re-occurring in the future, right?
Still waiting for an explanation, and reason for the 4 hour blackout on any sort of communication.

Offline Tracie

• MR-Disabled
  • Master Jedi
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2006, 05:39:17 AM »
Please send an email to support@lunarpages.com with any issues/errors you may still be experiencing.

Thanks.

Offline kwdavids

• Galactic Royalty
    • Netsmart Technologies
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2006, 06:07:16 AM »

...I feel the frustration of those who depend on the 99.9% uptime but I am betting changing hosts wont make that any better. After this is all said and done and a 12 month average is taken, LP will still probly have 99.9% uptime. ...

I came to Lunarpages from another company after a 4 day (!) outage. Since I left, that host has had very good uptime. It's like trying to get in the shortest line at the bank, or changing lanes on the expressway--sometimes change is for the better and sometimes not.

Contingency planning is important whoever the hosting company is.
Kevin

Offline bljohnson

• Spaceship Captain
    • http://www.bjohnson.net
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2006, 06:08:13 AM »
Reason Given: SELECT failed: Can't open INBOX (file /home/xxxxx/mail/xxx/xxx/inbox): not in valid mailbox format
Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

thanks for your support  :) :D
Glad I could help out :D

Offline gresch

• Trekkie
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2006, 06:45:05 AM »
Please send an email to support@lunarpages.com with any issues/errors you may still be experiencing.

Thanks.

would love to, can you let me know when I can get into my email so that I can send you an email that I can't get into email? :) :)   (sorry, couldn't help myself ;))
 :D

Offline TeraHz

• Spaceship Navigator
    • Georgi's Place
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2006, 07:00:06 AM »
Well I hope this is the last problem we will be seing. So far I've had LOTS of downtime but again I run a personal web page+blog and picture gallery which are not that important.

As other people have mentioned I also don't know what kind of a retarted ups system you have that does not detect power outage...

Third I want to say is from what I saw yesterday almost all your servers are FAR from being configured right. A service on a server should start flowlessly even after the server crashes. I'm not working for an hosting company and I'm sure you have lots of servers to deal with, but in the sciense lab where I am responsible for the uptime of all servers (about 15) even if the power fails and the UPS' batteries are drained out, after the power is up again all servers will boot and resume normal work without my having to start/restart anything. 

In any case I don't expect you guys to be perfect but half a day of downtime is...

I hope you are putting everything back to normal.

BTW my ups at home is $30 AR and when power goes down it turns my linux box down after about 15 mins. You might want to consider buying some of these ;)
-
?? ??? ?? ????????!

Dark Side

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »

Thanks.

would love to, can you let me know when I can get into my email so that I can send you an email that I can't get into email? :) :)   (sorry, couldn't help myself ;))

That's cute. I almost spewed my coffee.  :)  Seriously though, do you have an alternate email account such as Yahoo or Hotmail that you could use to email support with? This is what I use for an alternate contact point.......just in case.   8-)

Offline Cheesefood

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.robb-barrett.com
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2006, 07:16:38 AM »
Dear LunarPages:

You promised us 99/9% uptime. You promised us notifications and redundant systems in place with back-up generators and all sorts of high-class sounding hoopla to prevent against outages. You've told us that the down-time will mostly occur late at night and is due to upgrades.

Several times now, I've had to deal with outages. I've had to deal with being left in the dark with phones that aren't answered by your people and no explanations given. I've had to go to webhostingtalk.com to find out if anyone knows what's going on.

Now, I see you at a new low. Instead of coming up with ways to make good on the contract we entered into, you're having your people remove mentions of your competition from your forums. Your employees are asking for us to praise them for their hard work while we get yelled at by our customers.

http://uptime.besthostratings.com/viewreport.php?host=lunarpages says that you're at 99.745% uptime since December 25, 2005. Keeping that rate for the year will put you at almost 22 and a half hours of down time. That's almost an entire day that you'll be offline and our customers will be unable to reach our websites. And when your sites are down, they are completely down. There's nothing in place to redirect our customers to a page letting them know it's a temporary technical difficulty. For a customer who's nervous about a problem order, it looks like we packed up shop. They are going to immediately contact their friends, the BBB, whomever and claim that we left them high and dry. Your claim of 99.9% uptime allows for only 8 hours of downtime.

According to my calculations, 99.745% downtime since Dec 25, 2005 means that this year alone (since Jan 1), you've been down about 7 hours. You have one hour left for the next 8 months. And then what will happen? Will you pro-rate our accounts based on missed goals? Will you change your claim? Or will you send more employees to monitor forums to make sure that we don't post the names of reliable hosts.

I have to tell you, the maturity level I've seen in response to these outages has been anything but professional. It seems like a bunch of kids on the defensive trying to make up for the fact that they don't know what they're doing and they're handling more workload than they should.

Figure something out, because you're going to lose customers. I have three sites hosted here, and two of them will have to be moved soon. You've had two major strikes in the past few months, with the DoS and now this outages. This isn't baseball, you don't get to wait for a third strike.

Offline gresch

• Trekkie
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2006, 08:09:38 AM »

Thanks.

That's cute. I almost spewed my coffee.  :)  Seriously though, do you have an alternate email account such as Yahoo or Hotmail that you could use to email support with? This is what I use for an alternate contact point.......just in case.   8-)

yes, i do, and I did send an email to support, i just felt like going for the joke, it's what i do :) :) :D

on a more serious note, i'm still down and growing impatient. (I understand the complexities, I've got 20 years in the IT business, but 24 hours without email is a problem for me)

Offline KJones

• Galactic Royalty
    • TheSpaceRace.com
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2006, 08:14:10 AM »
I think some people need to take a step back and realize that NO hosting company is immune from technical problems. If you can tell me the name of a company that makes computer hardware that never fails, or software that has no bugs in it, let me know their names so I can invest in them.

The loss in sales is bad, yes, but when you compare it to the "down time" that brick & mortar stores suffer (why oh why must my employees sleep?  :sleep: :whip:) then for a website to be offline for 4 or 5 hours per year doesn't seem so bad.

I work for a retail chain in Canada. Every Christmas (obviously our busiest time) we get at least one snow day that forces us to close. And it never fails... some idiot kid always pulls the fire alarm (the equivalent to a DoS attack) on Christmas Eve forcing the mall to evacuate for an hour while the fire department determines if there really is a fire. These things happen and we have to suffer some losses. Whining about it doesn't help.

Lunarpages is a great host, it just happens to be their time to suffer a technical problem... it happens to ALL web hosts eventually. You can hunt around for a new host if you want, you won't find one that never has problems.
"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth." - John F. Kennedy

Offline Nicki Faulk

• Web Designer, geek, gamer and aspiring super mom.
  • Jabba the Hutt
  • Sugar, Spice, and Combat Boots.
    • Birthplace of the Process of Illogical Logic
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2006, 08:54:47 AM »
I think some people need to take a step back and realize that NO hosting company is immune from technical problems. If you can tell me the name of a company that makes computer hardware that never fails, or software that has no bugs in it, let me know their names so I can invest in them....

*applauds KJones' post*   :yey: :thumb:

Also, people should keep in mind that we were not the only host affected.  I've heard grumblings from a few friends on a much smaller competitor who also suffered downtime (and one of which still IS down). 

I figure it could be worse ... my last host was down for 2 weeks and would not tell me why.  (But hassled me about leaving their service for LP, imagine that!)
Hey, who hid my chocolate!!??

Web designer, geek, gamer, and aspiring supermom [ www.nickifaulk.com ]

Proud Soldiers' Angel [ www.soldiersangels.org ]
CTL, Alabama [ www.bamaangels.org ]

Hobby Sites:

* Now We're Cookin' [ www.nowwerecookin.org ]
* Blogroll Directory [ www.blogrolldirectory.org ]

Offline km99

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »
I have read this thread with much interest. There are some good points made, and some valid criticisms of the Lunarpages service. I hope that they take note, and learn from the mistakes of this episode for the future. My dedicated server went down at midnight on 24th and was booted at seven o'clock in the evening of 25th, nearly 17 hours later, so those complaining of a 4 hour downtime can consider themselves lucky!

For myself, I think that there could have been more effort in keeping Lunarpages customers up to date with the progress made. As far as I can see, the phone message was never updated, the last (out of a total of two) update on the forums was made at 11:11 pm PDT, and my server didn't see the light of day for another 6 hours.

I'm sure that everyone was working hard to rectify the situation, but the last time I had an outage for this long it was caused by Katrina. Following the recent move to the new datacentre, it seems likely that there were some teething troubles with the new racks there, and I'm sure that Lunarpages will come up with a better explanation than simple 'power outage' in the fullness of time.

In the meantime, like many of you, I'm left with a lot of disgruntled customers, lost productivity and lost revenue.

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2006, 11:11:44 AM »
also *applauds KJones' post*      :yey: :yey: :yey:

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2006, 11:23:22 AM »
Good golly I had to dig to find this.
Some of you seem to think that LP owns One Wilshire and uh, no. They don't. They rent ONE floor of one Wilshire. Lp most likly doesn't know all the floor plans, designs and what not nor do they employ electrical or building engineers (why would they when One Wilshire does this?).
Up until the server moves, I did think that, mainly ‘cause I never bothered to really look into it; as long as LP keeps ‘em going a barn suits me.  Then I got suspicious, but hey, loft to stall, it’s all good. :D  I didn’t choose them for their real estate ownership or lack thereof.

Hmm, question: is it the entire floor?  My non-LP email server suffered “technical difficulties” (their words) that almost exactly matched the worst of LP’s downtime.  That was my biggest point of frustration, not only could I not get to the forums, I couldn’t check my off-LP point of contact to see if there happened to be an email.

My posts weren’t intended to criticize, but to point out how easy minor details can lead to a big problem and then how you’ve got to be careful in solving it so that you don’t create more, potentially worse problems.  Now with Lupine’s post, I can even more fully understand the cautious pace taken.  Yes, bringing them back online is a priority, but not letting the problem spread by acting upon not fully thought out actions ranks even higher.

Maybe it’s because we’re a physical business that extending into the web rather than web-based only.  Even if we were a bit further along our development path and were doing on-line sales… meh, we’re currently doing it by hand and I’m pretty sure we’re not going to lose that skill anytime soon.  This has served as a good reminder that as we make plans to start selling particular items online, we need to ensure we have a plan ready to fall back to.

KJones and other have summed up my thoughts on “be glad you’re not a brick & mortar business.”

Many point to the DOS attack a few months ago.  Is it really fair to use that against LP?  It’s not like no other company has even been brought to its knees by them before.  Heck, a Fark or Slashdot listing can bring down many a host.

My sincerest condolences to those that lost revenue, I do understand the agony the past 24 hours brought.  However, as many have pointed out, no system is absolutely fail-safe.  Sure, APUs could be bought for every single server, more complex sensing and loading logic could be built into the generators, a host of things could be done.  But each will add cost, and I’ll be honest, if cost was absolutely no issue, we’d likely be elsewhere as would many others I bet.  But the pricing and positive support I’ve received and seen outweighs the problems.

That’s just my two pennies, flame ‘em if you want.

Offline Tracie

• MR-Disabled
  • Master Jedi
« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »
Hi all,

We do fully understand the frustration of the situation for all of our customers and we express our deep regret that any of our customers experienced any down time. We're still working around the clock to address any issues that may be lingering and to answer all the trouble tickets and calls we are receiving about this situation, in addition to our normal support calls/tickets.

To clarify, we do not occupy the whole floor at the data center so Lunarpages were not the only ones affected by the power failure.

If you cannot email support, you can submit a ticket online here: https://desk.lunarpages.com/newticket.php

I'd also like to remind everyone that we do not promise or guarantee 99% uptime. Please review this thread: Uptime from the last time this issue was brought up. (I realize it doesn't apply to this situation completely but does explain our stance on uptime.)

If you have further questions/concerns, please email feedback@lunarpages.com (or choose feedback at the above link to submit a ticket).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:40:07 AM by Tracie »