Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: So What Happened?  (Read 26052 times)

Offline starke

• Galactic Royalty
    • 1031 exchange real estate 1031 tax exchange NNN property
Re: So What Happened?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
Yeah, that was a pretty long down time.  Although, I will say that this is the first real down time of any length that I've noticed in the past 4 months that I've been using their service.

They did mention something about moving the servers to a lower floor in their building.  Do you think that this might have had something to do with it?

Offline arianadaner

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 12:18:13 PM »
Yeah, its getting all too common. This is like the 5 problem I've had with LP servers in the past 2 months and the really embarassing thing is that I've recommended LP hosting to several friends and small businesses! I'm totally mortified.. businesses can't afford to have their sites go down.

I'm looking for alternatives too.

Offline tsm26

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
I think it is with their network provider as when I did a traceroute it got past the tier 4 link but didn't even get into California, so somewhere it wasn't routing properly.  It wasn't even getting near the actual lunarpages blocks of ips.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »
Yeah, that was a pretty long down time.  Although, I will say that this is the first real down time of any length that I've noticed in the past 4 months that I've been using their service.

They did mention something about moving the servers to a lower floor in their building.  Do you think that this might have had something to do with it?
I doubt it, I think it's done after normal (West Coast) business hours and it wouldn't have taken out everything (unless there's one big cable somebody tripped over and ripped out of the wall  :o ).

Offline yansa

• yansa.net
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
When did Lunarpages go offline?

I logged in to my site's webmail around 10:30am (1530 UTC), and it worked; I checked in later at about noon (1700 UTC), and it was offline; it stayed offline until around 3:10pm (2010 UTC).

Offline bambam

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 12:20:35 PM »
Yeah, that was a pretty long down time.  Although, I will say that this is the first real down time of any length that I've noticed in the past 4 months that I've been using their service.

Then you just missed the previous major problem.  Last December they had serious problems with some DoS attacks that inerrupted service more than once.

Offline starke

• Galactic Royalty
    • 1031 exchange real estate 1031 tax exchange NNN property
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
It seems like it might have been system wide...

Funny, I checked out Rat's site too... that wasn't responding.  When I logged back into the forum, I saw that their were about 400 guests that were on...

That's the most people that I've seen on the forums at one time.  Would lead me to believe that everyone was looking for some kind of response...

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
Dumb question, how do you determine the tier of the servers in the traceroute?

Offline Rado Vleugel

• Trekkie
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »
I was just building my first website that I host with lunarpages. Very annoying that I couldn’t test anything. Not a good start. I hope they will improve their performance.

You can check the overall performance of lunarpages.com on http://uptime.besthostratings.com/viewreport.php?host=lunarpages

Offline arianadaner

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »

Then you just missed the previous major problem.  Last December they had serious problems with some DoS attacks that inerrupted service more than once.
Not to mention the downtime of some individual servers.. I know Apollo has had a bunch of hiccups that may have been only 10-20 minutes long, but its still downtime when your site is hosted there!

bryantrv

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 12:23:31 PM »
My Interntseer gave me this after it came back up:
Time: Mon Apr 24 16:02:49 EDT 2006
Total Time on Error: 1 hour, 52 minutes, 7 seconds

But... sh*t happens ;)

Offline Zenkai

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 12:24:33 PM »
We have cron-tabs running for just such an eventuality. It's been up for about 45 minutes or so, and has been down since 2:08am PST

Offline Johnny

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »
Hello,

We can certainly relate to all of your concerns. A supervisor will post shortly what the issue was. Trust me, if we had time to post anything, we would have,but as you probably have noticed, the forums were down as well.

Please accept our apologies, and a supervisor should be making a post shortly, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:30:27 PM by Johnny »

Offline tsm26

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
The only reason I new it was a tier 4 was because it has tierfour.com in the address lol.

In any case, it got hung up way up the line.  I am in Utah and it only got to the SLC connections.  Now that it works it jumps to dallas then chicago, then to atlanta then to mzima.

Mzima is their provider.  Some routing issue I am guessing.  I guess it could be another attack but I wouldn't think so with that traceroute unless they shut it down because of one.

Offline raccoonone

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:35 PM »
I was just building my first website that I host with lunarpages. Very annoying that I couldn’t test anything. Not a good start. I hope they will improve their performance.

You can check the overall performance of lunarpages.com on http://uptime.besthostratings.com/viewreport.php?host=lunarpages

Lunarpages Uptime Report - 99.813%
Overall uptime: 99.813 %

Not good, considering they gaurentee 99.9% uptime :(