Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: JBOSS on a dedicated server - how to do it ?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline casaben

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
JBOSS on a dedicated server - how to do it ?
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:19:02 AM »
Hi,
I've just signed up for a dedicated server.
Lunarpages-like, everything went smooth and fast.
The machine is really great,... andsoforth.
The real question :
I want to deploy my application on JBOSS.
Can a JBOSS be installed, and can it work next to the Resin, or replace it ?
I want all my sites to have the ability to run WAR web applications (under Jboss?).
Does Lunarpages need to install and confgure it, or can I do it ?
Thanks!

stephan

Re: JBOSS on a dedicated server - how to do it ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »
Hi, I just wrote a long reply, then deleted it again, because I'm not 100% sure on it.

If you have a control panel like Plesk or Cpanel, you might run into problems. If you have blank server with just the operating system to start with (which you can get from us), you should be able to just follow the documentation and install it. I'm not really sure how it would work out with Jboss and an existing control panel. It might not work.

I'd say that it would be replacing Resin rather than working next to it. Probably replacing standard Apache too, which Cpanel and Plesk wouldn't cope with.

My advice would be to stick with Resin if you are using Cpanel and Tomcat if you are using Plesk. Plesk can use Tomcat, it's an option in the control panel. Cpanel and Resin have been set up by us to work together, so that's fine too. If you are looking to install JBoss, it's fine, we support it, you can put anything on the dedicated server, but you might be creating a big headache for yourself. This sounds like a cop-out, but really, you need to balance up what extra features you are going to get with the pain of installing it, if it isn't really going to work properly with the control panel you have installed.

We can install it for you for $75 an hour which is always an option there if you like. Last time I installed Tomcat, I just doubleclicked the install file and it worked :)

Offline casaben

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:54:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Think you're right too.
Maybe this brings me to the next question: the reason why I was looking at JBoss is that I  get a outofmemory error if I re-upload my app too fast.
This seems to be a Resin classloader error. The remedy is to increase a portion of it's memory. (XX:PermSize=XXMb), which is by default 1Mb. This causes the garbage collector to come around all the time.
I would like to allocate more memory to the Resin, if possible. Any recommandations or should I stop messing with that ? :o
Is there a special procedure to stop and restart the resin ? Or what commands are there ?
Or should I just stop being lazy and check the documentation  :)?
Thanks !

Offline casaben

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »

stephan

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »
Hi,

I can't answer your question, but if you e-mail dedicated@lunarpages.com , we will look into it.

You can stop and start Resin though, through shell. We can give you instructions over e-mail, because it depends on the version and the way it has been installed.

Offline casaben

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
OutOfMemory problem fixed by the patch above.
My app is about 5 MB, and the default setting turned out to be about 1Mb, causing extensive garbage collection, and insufficient space to store 'old' objects.
Increased it to 16Mb, and didn't get the error since.
Also saw a huge performance boost, it's like my app runs on steroids now :-)
I'm going to increase this until 32 or even 50Mb;-)
Thanks for the trouble though!

stephan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
Good work  :thumb: