Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Tips to Reduce RESOURCES Consume please  (Read 21498 times)

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
Re: Tips to Reduce Resource Consumption
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 07:23:09 PM »
Quote from: AL3X1S
I didn´t receive answers today in the support tickets.
They say that if you keep adding to the ticket, you get bumped down to the bottom of the queue.

On the other hand, I haven't added a thing to my ticket, and I'm twenty-seven hours and counting, waiting for a response.

Is there some holiday that I'm not aware of, and Support is closed today...? :?

Eliz.

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
Re: Tips to Reduce RESOURCES Consume please
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 07:26:47 PM »
It seems to me that support is bogged down with alot of problems to fix, seems its been that way since the DDOS attacks. It has never taken so long to get things done in my nearly three yrs being here, I am just thankful I dont have any major issues right now !
    I am sure they are working fast as they can and will get to everything soon as possible.

<-----wonders if they are all busy in the break room eating the cake I gave them ??? lol

Bored RAT with time on his hands

Offline AL3X1S

• Black-Belt
  • Intergalactic Cowboy
  • K-1Fans.com
    • http://k-1fans.com
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 09:01:09 PM »
btw,
about resources consume

does someone know if a vBulletin forum consume less resources than a phpbb?
it is the best one, said by many people.

I was thinking about moving to it
anyway the first option would be the one with less resources consume.
but without trying I wont know..

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »
I remember back when there was a time that LP did not allow vbulletin (which hints to me it takes more  resource than others such as phpbb and smf that LP has used and allowed)  but now does allow it unless it compromises the server cpu wise,, (unless I am wrong which i have been known to be) but i really dont know for sure.

Read number 2 here ----> http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37498.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 09:54:41 PM by RAT »

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »
Yes, for awhile vBulletin was strongly discouraged because it was the source of many high CPU/resource usage issues. But, others were able to run it without problems. A lot depended on how it was setup I believe, though I'm not sure of the specifics....
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
Re: What can I do now?
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 05:59:27 AM »
Quote from: RAT
LP is taking alot of time in replying to these matters....I am anxious to see how LP handles this.
Lunarpages has told us all to "fix the problem or leave". Since then, Lunarpages hasn't responded to queries about what the problem is or how to fix it. Perhaps this is Lunarpages' way of pruning away some of the more "difficult" accounts...?

(On the "plus" side, however, once we've all been cancelled and kicked out, Support should have more time to speak with whoever is left.)

When the choice given to us is "work with us or get out" and then Lunarpages doesn't seem inclined to "work with us", it would appear that we haven't been left with many options. One might even conclude that Lunarpages has made its preference regarding our customer status rather clear.

I wish I knew who to apologize to, and for what, to get me and my algebra lessons back in Lunarpages' good graces. Oh, well; it was nice while it lasted. :(

Eliz.

Edit: correcting spelling
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:13:11 AM by stapel »

stephan

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 06:16:09 AM »
Hi folks,

We recommend SMF over vBulletin or phpBB

Although these are both fine forums, phpBB has a bad track record concerning exploits and over the last couple of years, has had several fixes for security reasons. Some people don't keep up to date, which puts their accounts at risk.

vBulletin tends to use slightly more resources than SMF, in our experience anyway, although it is a smart board too.

The winner in my opinion is SMF, because it's really easy to upgrade and put a new theme on it.

For the resource usage, I think it's been covered, the 2 people involved here both understand what is happening now I think. Stapel, I'm just on your ticket now, I will get back to you right away. Support is a bit busy at the moment, but we are working through the steadily. Sorry for the delay.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »
vBulletin is a pretty sweet board.  But I can see how it could become a resource hog.

Offline AL3X1S

• Black-Belt
  • Intergalactic Cowboy
  • K-1Fans.com
    • http://k-1fans.com
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
Although these are both fine forums, phpBB has a bad track record concerning exploits and over the last couple of years, has had several fixes for security reasons. Some people don't keep up to date, which puts their accounts at risk.

hi stephan,
personally my phpbb is always updated since the same day of a new release.

furthermore my template is the lightest, it has the borders of tables and cells removed and not using images
the logos or small images that you see (menu mini-icons and flags) are linked out of the site now

and I will see how I can put the avatars folder out of the site too

I removed a lot of users and prune the forum.

*more tips are welcome, thanx,
since the limits of the plans are not now the bandwith of space but the resources usage, you can offer 1terabyte of transfer since today, but if the resources usage available decrease it is useless.
anyway thanx for the support and work.
I will wait response in the ticket when staff have time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:58:21 AM by AL3X1S »

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »
Lunarpages has told us all to "fix the problem or leave". Since then, Lunarpages hasn't responded to queries about what the problem is or how to fix it. Perhaps this is Lunarpages' way of pruning away some of the more "difficult" accounts...?

I posted a thread about this in feedback titled "Top Ten" . I am glad you are finally getting your ticket looked into. (sqeaky wheel sometimes gets the grease lol)
Good luck !

For the resource usage, I think it's been covered, the 2 people involved here both understand what is happening now I think. Stapel, I'm just on your ticket now, I will get back to you right away. Support is a bit busy at the moment, but we are working through the steadily. Sorry for the delay.

couple days late on that one I`d say eh ??

RAT
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:02:58 AM by RAT »

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2006, 11:15:18 AM »
Well it didnt take LP long to remove my post in feedback, (under five minutes !)     :(  i thought that`s what feedback was for ?? Negative concerns ?  Guess I was mistaken ,,, again.

Offline Tracie

• MR-Disabled
  • Master Jedi
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 11:17:43 AM »
I'm PM'ing you about why the post was moved, Rat.

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »
Okey Dokey  :D

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 11:43:35 AM »
Thanks Tracie and "you know who" for clearing things up for me on this matter. I am sorry I caused any problems, no hard feelings ??  :?     :love:

RAT

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
Re: Tips to Reduce Resource Consumption
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »
I apologize to any posters that I may have gotten into hot water, and to those to whom I was "unfair". And I apologize for the trouble my site and my posts have caused.

Eliz.