Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Best .PNG fix?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline shadowbunny

• Spaceship Navigator
Best .PNG fix?
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »
I'm using a web builder program called SiteSpinner and use .PNG images as my site layout because the .GIF and .JPEG versions look hideous....
I noticed that if you use the java .PNG fix script most sites use in order to make .PNG viewable, they show up fine in both my IE6 and FireFox browser. But i'm now getting at least one email a day after launching my new .PNG-based website from people complaining about how they still can't see the site even after updating IE or FireFox....
Is it the java that is messed up then?
Is there another way to do a .PNG fix besides using a java code?
If not then, is there another format to save the layout images as instead of .PNG, but not as awful looking as .JPEG or .GIF?

Arngautr

Re: Best .PNG fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
It's almost definately IE or the PNGs themselves.  IE still doesn't display them correctly when alpha-transparency is involved, though I understand the forthcoming IE7 fixes this.  There is a way to fix this with ActiveX, or, as you seem to have discovered, Javascript.  As I've mentioned here before I use something called pngcrush.  The only problem with it is it requires the commandline (like DOS & stuff).  If you run it on your images you can compress them but also get rid of the transparency.  So to "fix" your layout, before uploading it you would type in and run
Code: [Select]
pngcrush -brute -c 2 LAYOUT2006.png LAYOUT2006_c.png
If you do that you won't need to use the Javascript thing anymore. 

There are GUIs out there for it, never used them so I can't recommend any.

Offline Tom Veik

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:49:06 PM »
Shadowbunny

I tried viewing your profile on your web page twice and both times it crashed firefox.

Offline shadowbunny

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:04:17 AM »
My profile? You mean the link you clicked to my myspace profile? well it doesn't suprise me that it crashed, since myspace sucks. Whenever I log into myspace, my computer overheats......

anyways, to the other poster:
I just got a reply from a member on the SiteSpinner board and he's telling me that it is the alpha transparency (even though I could've sworn I didn't USE alpha transparency).... he's going to check out the code in the site and tell me what to fix so that there is no alpha transparency involved.

Sheesh man.. you'd think if coders were working so hard on useless dumb crap like myspace, they'd at least have decent .PNG fixes by now HA!

Offline shadowbunny

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:34:46 PM »
everything works now.
I messed up a css code or something...wasn't even a png issue.