Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted  (Read 19638 times)

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
Re: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2006, 01:21:51 PM »
Hi,
     First and foremost - Happy Holidays to all!!!  :happy:

Now as for your questions, here are my responses.  When you receive an email from someone that is not on your authorized list, it will not simply disappear or get deleted; it will be moved to your Unverified folder.  If you are signing up for some service from a website, if they tell you that you will receive an email (which most of them do), you can go check your unverified list (and the email will be at the very top of the list - easy to find). 

Another aspect to this are mail-rules.  You can create mail rules to automatically verify emails based on several criteria.  If you are part of a mailing list or forum that will cause you to receive emails from several people that do not know you, you can create a mail rule to automatically verify people based on the subject, who it is from, keywords within the email, etc. 

As far as you being the owner of a website and using this for your own emails (maybe for your support or webmaster email addresses), you can use mail rules, domain-verification, and the form submission feature to deal with this.  The same concept for the mail rules (based on the subject) apply.  As for the domain-verification, you can verify an entire domain such as @MyWebsite.com if you are an ISP or any other company that offers email service, or you can use the form submission which will automatically verify senders when they send you an email using your online email form.

We are also working on a new little program that will run on the end-users computer that will keep an eye on the sites you provide your email address too and will send feedback to Gafana to allow emails from these websites to get through (either forever or for a pre-defined temporary period).  So if I go to your website and signup for your services, Gafana will temporarily accept emails from that website (say for 3 days) and allow them to go directly to your inbox.

- Gabriel Afana

P.S.  Here is the signup link:  https://www.gafana.com/signup.php?ref=lunarpages

Offline GarryTheGarlic

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2007, 12:04:21 AM »
Hello,

I've been reading up on this Gafana service, and I have a question.  It's been said that only one free premium Gafana account will be created per LP account.

I manage two separate domains, with half a dozzen or so email users on each domain.   With my old provider (before they turned off BoxTrapper!!) each user had the ability to manage his own white-lists, view his que of unverified messages, and all that good stuff.

Now, Gafana sounds like an even better solution than BoxTrapper, but am I to understand that for an entire domain, I only get the ability to filter ONE users email?  It does not even sound like I can filter every users email via my one Gafana account without granting all users access to all users email...  not that I'm particularly interested in having to manually manage everybody's account anyway.

Please set me straight if I have misunderstood or have been misinformed.  LP looks like a great provider, and Gafana looks like a great spam solution, but I need this kind of ability for ALL my users, not just one.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2007, 09:16:35 AM »
Hi Garlic man (Mmmm, Garlic is great!)

Send me an email to gabriel@gafana.com and I'll help you out.

- Gabriel Afana

Offline GarryTheGarlic

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2007, 09:00:04 PM »
I emailed you, and of course I got a verification request.  I completed it as requested, but I have still not seemed to been able to contact you.

Next I tried making an account over at Gafana.com.  This was problematic alltogether, since my browser of choice did not seem to get along with your sign up process.  I would get as far as phone/SMS verification, but I would never get a phonecall or SMS verification, and would never proceed to the stage of sign up for it requested the code that I'd never got.  Might be a browser specific issue, or the entire Mac platform, idk, but very very bad.

Using a windows box I can gain remote access to, I was able to make an account to test things with.  Personal rant here, but making me resort to using a Win box is a good way to get on my bad side fast.

Moving on however....

Once gaining access to a Gafana account, I started having more problems.  Setting up my email client, as per the instructions found at Gafana.com, I was never able to retrieve mail from Gafana using POP3.  Web interface worked, but following the instructions to the T, downloading via POP does not work.

As best I can assume this is because I have a free account, but in all honesty I can't figure out for sure, because there is no place I've found on your web site that clearly lays out the different features that are included in free vs. paid accounts.  Furthermore, my free account came with a handy email already in my mailbox telling me how to setup my POP downloads from my client.  Bad move if in fact this is not a feature that is even part of my account as is.

Ok more issues....

While only accessible via the web site, Gafana IS now protecting my personal email address.  Time for a test drive.  From one of my work addresses (which is protected with BoxTrapper), I send an email to my personal address.  The very fact that I send an email to address A (personal) from address B (work) means that address A is now on address B's whitelist, so any verification coming from address A should get into inbox B.

Not so.  Gafana's verification from address A never makes it to inbox B, but instead gets put into BoxTrappers equivalent of an unverified box.  Unfortunately for you, I can't access the unverified box for B because my provider broke it.  Fortunately for you, BoxTrapper on address B sends address A a verification message, in response to getting address A's verification request.  Wait a second, why is this happening at all?  Address A is on address B's whitelist!!  Viewing the headers that address B send along with its verification request reveal the answer.  Address A's verification request is NOT coming from address A, but it is coming from robot@gafana.com with a nice candy coating that makes the average user think that is coming from address A.  I see this as a potentially HUGE issue where verification emails talk to eachother, and nobody can get thru unless they happen across the message in their unverified box.

FURTHERMORE (you thought that was enough for one day?) I tried to send you a message from within Gafana.  I had most of what you see here all typed out, hit send, and my compose message screen reset its self to blank.  A peak at my sent box on Gafana indicates that the message was never sent.  Potentially more issues with Safari and/or Mac platform?  Idk, but very very frustrating.

I hope this has been constructive, and I hope that at some point these issues are addressed.  LunarPages, this is a great partnership opportunity, as I would switch all my domains to your service in a heartbeat JUST for a working C/R anti-spam system if it worked right....  so long as all my domains users had access, and not just one account.

For the time being however I'm sad to say that it looks as if I must continue searching.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »
Hi There,
    :whip: :whip: :whip:

Haha, I am happy you posted all of those comments; how can one get better when you do not know your flaws?  With that said, I think you just happened to get a really bad case of bad luck.  Can you please tell me exact what browsers you were using in Mac and in Windows?

I will check each issue you mentioned and respond to them later today and let you know what the deal is.

- Gabriel Afana

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »
Hi,
   I've gone through and looked into everything you asked about.  Here are my responses:

#1) I would get as far as phone/SMS verification, but I would never get a phonecall or SMS verification.
- This is indeed a cross-platform support issue (using Mac)

#2) I was never able to retrieve mail from Gafana using POP3
- This is because the accounts created from the homepage are free accounts; these do not have POP3 access.  If you used the following link:  https://www.gafana.com/lpsignup.php?ref=lpsignup you will get a premium account which gives you POP3/SMTP/IMAP access (plus will not have to go through the verification process either)

#3) My free account came with a handy email already in my mailbox telling me how to setup my POP downloads from my client
- Good observation; we will remove this for free accounts.

#4) Address A's verification request is NOT coming from address A, but it is coming from robot@gafana.com...
- I will speak with the techs about this and find out why this is so

#5) I had most of what you see here all typed out, hit send, and my compose message screen reset it self to blank
- Again a cross-platform Mac issue.

For the Mac issues, we are focusing on this right now as we have had some other issues related to users on Mac computers.  I will get back to you on #4 after I find out why it is so.  If you have any other observations, PLEASE let me know!!!  Thanks!

- Gabriel Afana

Offline GarryTheGarlic

« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2007, 07:49:53 PM »
It seems that the most serious issue for the time being is things not working on the Mac platform.  For your info, I'm currently running OSX 10.4.8, and these problems show up in Safari 2.0.4 as well as Firefox 1.5.

I was able to successfully create an account using IE6 (not sure of the exact version #) on a Win XP box, I will try later to create an account with one of my Macs on the link you provided and see if bypassing the verification step allows me to create an account or not.

I'll do some more testing, because its quite concerning to me that at least two things do not work on my primary platform, and I'm curious to see if there is anything else that does not work.  I'll post any other findings I come up with, but I'd say your development team needs to go get themself a Mac or two or three for testing purposes.   :D

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »
Two are already on order  :bounce:

darkwolf

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
Heres a theoretical problem.

Two users use gafana

User A sends email to User B

User B gafana send verification to User A

User A gafana sends verification to User B

User B gafana send verification to User A

and so on....

Will this happen, or are there safeguards in place?

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
Hi,
   This will not happen.  Gafana is designed for this and verifications sent between Gafana members will appear in the other's account (there will be no bouncing back and forth).  This is done internally on the back-end so it leaves no possibility to exploit this.  :yep:

- Gabriel Afana

Offline 03FatBoy

• Space Explorer
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »
Just heard about your project and product after having all kinds of problems with spam and the recent lunarpages/assassin problems.

Signed up with the free links and so far, I love it.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you.  :yey:

And a side note, your tech support people via your site are very helpful with the ticket system you have.  Two thumbs up. :thumb: :thumb:

darkwolf

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »
Hi,
   This will not happen.  Gafana is designed for this and verifications sent between Gafana members will appear in the other's account (there will be no bouncing back and forth).  This is done internally on the back-end so it leaves no possibility to exploit this.  :yep:

- Gabriel Afana

Glad to hear that, once set something like that up on purpose... took about 5 mins for the mail server to smoke.

Now my next question.

Im going to be redoing all of my sites soon, and expect a HIGH influx of users signing up. 
I plan on using a database to store all of these users emails.
Are they any plans on perhaps an remote way of being able to update the whitelist?

Idealy, a remote way of accessing and adding to the whitelist would be preferable, as I could then have a script that would read my database of email addresses, compile the new ones, then update the whitelist with the new addresses.   

or, even more ideal, one where when a user signs up for my site, I could just add to the script a remote connection to the whitelist to add the email address at the same time the script inputs thier data into my database.

This would allow me to have just one account, that the only people able to email to the account are users of my sites.

(previous email account I had set to receive from my users, couldnt risk any kind of filtering due to the fact most the people emailing were kids, whos emails were not much different in structure to spam)

So in short, any possibility of some kind of remote edit of whitelist capability?

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »
Just heard about your project and product after having all kinds of problems with spam and the recent lunarpages/assassin problems.

Signed up with the free links and so far, I love it.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you. 

And a side note, your tech support people via your site are very helpful with the ticket system you have.  Two thumbs up. 

Thank you VERY MUCH!  :happy: :happy: :happy:

Thats always great to hear!

Idealy, a remote way of accessing and adding to the whitelist would be preferable, as I could then have a script that would read my database of email addresses, compile the new ones, then update the whitelist with the new addresses.   

or, even more ideal, one where when a user signs up for my site, I could just add to the script a remote connection to the whitelist to add the email address at the same time the script inputs thier data into my database.

Hi,
   This is a great idea you have.  We already have developed an API for the creation and management of accounts (creating, deleting, changing passwords, adding/removing email addresses, etc), but we did not include the ability to manage your whitelist/blacklist.  However, this is a great idea and I am sure we can have this added.  Can you please send me an email directly at gabriel@gafana.com so we can discuss your needs so we can get this going?  Thanks Troy.

- Gabriel Afana

P.S.  Here is the signup link:  https://www.gafana.com/signup.php?ref=lunarpages