Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted  (Read 19645 times)

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
Re: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
[Edited: Found my own answers to my questions]

What about storage limits? Is there a maximum attachment size for incoming messages that Gafana will have an issue with?

I like to store emails on the server for a week or two so that I can access them via IMAP on the road etc. This could add up to several hundred megs for an account at some times.
Is there a storage limit or is it the same as on the LP server?

- Ed

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 09:23:54 AM »
My web site is apparently popular enough to have attracted the attention of spammers, who occasionally direct dictionary-style spam attacks at me. Because of these spikes in traffic (sometimes upwards of 150,000 invalidly-addressed messages in a 24-hour period), Lunarpages cannot handle my e-mail, and I've had to contract with an outside service.

Could Gafana handle such an account set-up, with the domain at Lunarpages (including my contact form processing e-mails from visitors), but the mail processing being handled elsewhere?

Eliz.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
As for the white-list submission, that is something we can develop and have ready very soon if it is something you will all need.  It can be a submission form that will connect to Gafana and add the sender to your white-list.

As for storage limit, there is not limit on Gafana accounts.  In addition to no email storage limit, you have a "My Files" section where you ca upload up to 250 MBs of random files for your own personal use. 

For attachments, theoretically, there is no limit, however for security reason, ther is a maximum file-size of 30MBs per file attached.  After factoring in the headers and other information required with dealing with email, this is realistically around 20MBs.  This is a lot larger than any other site.

Stapel:  Gafana can support your site.  If its your Lunarpages email address, it will first have to go to Lunarpages (since we are not doing this on a DNS level), then Gafana will fetch it from Lunarpages via POP3.  Gafana will filter out all the bad emails and have them all available for your to download from your mailclient. 

You mentioned "including my contact form processing e-mails from visitors".  You would need a special submission form that would automitically add senders to your verified list(white-list)?  I am asking because if you will use Gafana and will need this, we will finish up development on this feature ASAP and have it ready for all Lunarpage members.

Let me know guys!

- Gabriel

P.S.  Here is the signup link:  https://www.gafana.com/signup.php?ref=lunarpages

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,
     Are there any other questions I can answer?  We already have several users testing it but more should try it.

- Gabriel

P.S.  Here is the signup link:  https://www.gafana.com/signup.php?ref=lunarpages

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 04:26:20 AM »
Gafana , was your reply to Stapel about forms also directed to my question a few posts earlier too? We've getting a bit of strange spam recently, it's not bad compared to some, 30-40 a day, but it's annoying. The majority is going to a forwarded email address. Spam Assassin is correctly putting a spam alert into the subject (not that it needs to, more later) but the forwarder is then kicking in and passing it on to the addressee even with spambox enabled.

And on a diffent rant, my mail filters aren't working right, the delete spam on login rule I have isn't.

So, I think I understand that you're developing a form to automatically add people using the form to the whitelist. Will that be code that we can plug into existing forms? And about this whitelist, is there a limit to the number of names that can be on it? The majority of these incoming emails will be one time use only; can I set up Gafana and basically forget about it or will I have to do periodic maintenance to keep from hitting a max allowable limit?

Thanks

PS That weird spam, it just appeared sometime in the last few months. I can't target when because the last service we were with was so paranoid about security they had no control panel and I never figured out how to get into the mail system (half the problem was we were borrowing space from somebody so they had all the top level access). The spam, subject and body, is all from some weird characterset. I can't figure out if it's a different language or if it's code converted to characters. (And I just purged all my spam so I don't have an example at the moment.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 04:29:47 AM by SOU610 »

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »
Gafana , was your reply to Stapel about forms also directed to my question a few posts earlier too?  We've getting a bit of strange spam recently, it's not bad compared to some, 30-40 a day, but it's annoying.  The majority is going to a forwarded email address.  Spam Assassin is correctly putting a spam alert into the subject (not that it needs to, more later) but the forwarder is then kicking in and passing it on to the addressee even with spambox enabled.

SOU610, I am not sure I completely understand your situation.  Can you explain it a little more?

As for the whitelist, there is no limit.  So you can "Set it and Forget it"  8-)

As for the form, I was speaking with the techs and they were saying the best way to do it is use the existing forms but make slight modifications to direct it to Gafana to add to the verified list, then direct it back off to your existing server to handle the auto-reply or whatever else needs to be done.  To protect against programs from auto-filling the information, the idea is to add the picture to your form with the letters and numbers to prevent this problem.  As far as a user is concerned, this is the only thing they will see that would be different on your email form would be the picture.

SOU610, when you get a chance, if you could explain your issue a little more I will be able to answer it for you.

- Gabriel

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »
Most of the emails we recieve are inquiries from people using our feedback forms which emails the data to the right person.  LP suggests using NMS FormMail which inputs the email address of whoever is filling out the form into the from field.  So when the email comes in, it shows up as if sent from that person and we can reply to them like any other email rather that copying/pasting addresses from the body into the to field. 

I don't want a challenge email to be sent to the person filling out the form and I'd rather avoid changing the form so that the email address is no longer inputted into the from field.

Thus my question of somehow making it to where the form submitted emails get around the challenge system.

PS here's the junk we've been receiving:
Subject: 임상실험 데이터로 확인시키는 실패하지않는 다이어트!
Body: 경희다이어트01 ◈◈◈ 경희한방 계단식 감량다이어트
  ◈◈◈ 〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓 § 여성전용 다이어트
  입니다 (연령:24세~50세) § 업계최초 6개월에40kg감량

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 06:46:09 PM »
thought... (and if I had time, I'd try it... but classes start next week and I'll have over 100 students in different classes staring at me expecting me to say something useful and important.... anyway...)

User visits site and completes a form
- which includes the image verification code
Form first sends a thank you to the user via the garfana SMTP server
- this adds that email address to the verified list (aka whitelist)
Form then sends the email to you using that person as the "from"
- basically as it does now

The middle step is the new "twist" to the routine, but I don't know if NMS formmail could be setup to handle this... and not sure if it would work anyway...
just a thought

The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »
User visits site and completes a form
- which includes the image verification code
Form first sends a thank you to the user via the garfana SMTP server
- this adds that email address to the verified list (aka whitelist)
Form then sends the email to you using that person as the "from"
- basically as it does now

You got it right on!  We are figuring out how to work it out so intergration will be very simple.  However, we do not want to dedicate too much time intergrating with NMS Formmail if no one is interested or would use it.  I would like your guy's feedback on this;

If we make this feature just for Lunarpage members, would anyone actually use it?

We can have this done and working very quickly, but only if you guys would be interested.  Please LMK so we can get moving on this full-speed.

- Gabriel

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 08:16:32 PM »
I don't want a challenge email to be sent to the person filling out the form and I'd rather avoid changing the form so that the email address is no longer inputted into the from field.

Thus my question of somehow making it to where the form submitted emails get around the challenge system.

That is exactly what we can do...not a problem!  Please see my message above asking if anyone would be really interested.

PS here's the junk we've been receiving:
Subject: 임상실험 데이터로 확인시키는 실패하지않는 다이어트!
Body: 경희다이어트01 ◈◈◈ 경희한방 계단식 감량다이어트
  ◈◈◈ 〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓 § 여성전용 다이어트
  입니다 (연령:24세~50세) § 업계최초 6개월에40kg감량

If the sender is not on your verified list, you will not get these emails  :yey:

Still want more to use Gafana!

- Gabriel

Offline deadly_risk

• ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
    • http://www.mannindustries.net
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 08:26:41 PM »
If we make this feature just for Lunarpage members, would anyone actually use it?

Yes.
-Mann, KE5FMN
There are only two certainties: Death and Texas

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/everyotherfate

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 08:29:26 PM »
Thanks deadly_risk for responding.

Would anyone else use Gafana if we setup this feature for all Lunarpage members?

- Gabriel

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 07:41:51 AM »
One last question. (And probably a dumb n00b one to boot.)

Newsletter mailing lists.  Some of the people who have email account on my domain like to sign up for email newsletters occasionally.  Since those tend to be automated and any replies dumped into a blackhole, how would I go about setting it up to premit those to get through?  (This also would apply to daily digests from yahoo groups and other email discussion groups I think.)

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 07:49:14 AM »
I know for some newsletters from a big name consumer tech magazine I had to add them to the whitelist in spamassasin in order to allow them through. I would assume with garfana you could do the same thing... basically the user would add them to a whitelist so verification wouldn't be needed...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:51:22 AM by GMTurner »
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
How did you get the mail from address?  Well with SA if you just had it flagged, you could extract it then. (Am I remember a post here that spam is kept on gafana's server so you could go looking for it?)