Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted  (Read 19643 times)

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
Re: Spam Protection Trial - Testers wanted
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 01:42:24 PM »
Will this be software run on LP servers or will this require redirection of incoming email through a 3rd party server?  I've used similar "services' in the past that caused all email to be rerouted through an additional server before being delivered...

The entire process is ran off of Gafana's servers.  It will work *like* a redirect, however everything will remain the same - in a way  :D  Let me explain:

Since we are not doing this on a DNS level, all users will be able to add exactly which accounts they would like to have Gafana protect.  As long as you have a AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail or any POP3 email account, Gafana can protect it.  What will happen is all new emails will still continue to go where they are going right now (wherever that might be).  Then, Gafana will grab the emails via POP3 and perform all the filtering.  So when checking your email via the web, you check it at www.Gafana.com.  When checking via POP3 through a mail client, you will access all your clean emails using pop.gafana.com.  By default, Gafana will download the email from your existing POP3 and clear it off of that server.  However, if you have a particular reason to leave it there, you have the option to have Gafana leave a copy on the server so *all* emails will still remain there.  I hope this addresses your "redirect" concern.  I hope this also answers your question regarding how your account would (or would not) be effected.  

Also, you are able to verify exact email addresses or an entire domain if you wish.  So for students at your school, if they were to use Gafana, they could verify the entire domain of your university so when conversing with professors, there will be no delay.  (just another little option  8-) )

First, I think it is a good sign that Gabriel Afana is here helping to answer questions for us... so thank you for that

Thank you.  I appreciate that   :o  I am here because I really want to help people stop the spam they receive.  As you can see from all the messages that have already been posted, many do not readily accept and what I am trying to do is answer every question you guys have so hopefully some will begin to use it and see for themselves that is actually works and works well.  We normally charge for this service, but we are giving it to all Lunar customers in hopes of more people trying this technology, giving us valuable feedback on what we should do to improve, and hopefully tell your family and friends about Gafana if you are happy about it.  

- Gabriel

Lupine1647

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 03:14:39 PM »
Yea, it would apear that it's basically the MX logic service LP had before in terms of how it's goes through the system.

Personally I wouldn't want to use it because I would find it too much of a hassle (and Thunderbird filters most of my spam anyways :D ).

But several people have requested something such as Gafana in the past and am glad to see LP taking up on soemthing like this and am glad to hear it won't be server side and will be an opt in system like MX logic.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want to use it because I would find it too much of a hassle

We grew to over a 1,000 customers and they couldn't be happier.  When I go into mind-numbing detail about how each little thing works, it starts sounding complicated.  All these little things I am mentioning here and there are for more advanced users.  Gafana is truley a plug-n-play system.  Just set it up and enjoy a spam-free inbox.   :yey:

Still looking for more to give Gafana a try  :thumb:

- Gabriel

Offline Tom Veik

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »
I can certainly see how this system would be effective at eliminating spam.  However I must admit that the first time I received one of these "you must verify yourself" emails, I was put off and didn't bother to follow up.

Offline oxsley

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 05:20:20 PM »
Just curious... are there any differences between Gafana and other challenge-response systems like SpamArrest or MailBlocks (which was acquired by AOL and subsequently shutdown)?

It seems they all work on the same principle (correct me if I'm wrong). Someone who is not on your pre-approved list sends you an email. That person is then instantly sent a reply email with a link to a webpage where they have to enter some random code. Once they do this, their email (and all future email) is routed to you.

It seems like a great solution for a truly private email account that has been over-run with spam. However, as others have mentioned, for business email accounts that are open to the general public, it seems you run the risk of losing customers or scaring them away.

Just some other interesting notes..... It seems Mailblocks ran into an issue of the auto-response emails being blocked by spam filters, so people never got the challenge email. As for SpamArrest, is seems back in early 2003 they actually spammed some of their own customer's clients.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 05:53:03 PM by oxsley »

Offline fretnmore

• Grandma Looney
  • Über Jedi
    • Tri Wolf Studios
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 05:29:24 PM »
I have run into similar programs with users from my site. The irritating part for me is they sent the initial email to me, but my response couldn't get thru without me "verifying" that I am legitimate.  Most of the time, I don't bother. Not because it is difficult, but just because I don't have time to "verify" myself with over 1500 different email users. Seems to me, that the onus of "verification" should reside with the person the service is working for - especially when receiving replys to emails.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tri-Wolf Studios
Lunarpages Web Hosting
Lunarpages Forums
Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline JoeK

• Intergalactic Superstar
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »
Any alternative to emaildefense is very welcome.  Yuck!  I'm in the process of moving to a dedicated server, but once that's done I'll be happy to sign up.

I notice in the LunarPages CPanel demo something called "BoxTrapper", which says "Boxtrapper protects your inbox from spam by forcing all people not on your white list to reply to a verifcation email before they can send mail to you." 

This sound very similar to gafana.  is BoxTrapper something LunarPages actually offers...and how are the two different?

Lupine1647

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »
BoxTrapper is not offered and they work the same.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »
one of the main differences I see between gafana and the similar services oxley mentioned is that when you send an email via their SMTP server, that person gets added to your verified address... so they won't need to verify when replying to you. This sort of setup would seem to be a good solution to the problem fretnmore mentioned... and as I mentioned earlier, by combining that feature with an automatic email from a form on your website (if that's possible) the customer would never have to know about the verification process...

here's another question, how much control does one have over the content of the verification email request? Would a company be able to customize it to reflect their business or add a special note to it? Or is it just a generic, one size fits all, email that is sent?  I can see being able to customize it as a plus for businesses over a generic one...

The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline pimster

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
I agree with most people here that spam is a problem, but there are still questions I have about your service after viewing your website.

1. I gather you don't do IMAP.

2. On the CAPTCHA, do you also offer a voice alternative for visually impaired people?

3. I didn't see any mention of your data center. For example, do you have a redundant facility in a different geographic location. Would I experience any noticeable latency as a result of your pre-processing my email? And yes, I recognize there will be some latency in such challenge-response system.

4. I didn't see a mention of who you've partnered with for virus protection. Sorry, but in my mind not all vendors are the same.

5. Can your system properly handle email with digital signatures? I've used some systems where after going through the preprocessing, the email looked like it had been tampered because .

6. Does the content filtering, block the entire email or scrub the message? As example, if   I add the term "breast" to content filtering, do you stop an email if it ask me to make a contribution to "breast cancer"? Or, will you simply remove the occurrence of the word "breast" from the body of the email? Your flash demo made it look like the term was removed.

7. Can I do an import of my address book from Outlook or even a .CSV file to be put on what I'll call a "whitelist"?

Thanks for your time.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »
I will try to answer all of your questions the best I can:

1. I gather you don't do IMAP.
=> This feature is being developed and will be ready very soon

2. On the CAPTCHA, do you also offer a voice alternative for visually impaired people?
=>  We do not because we have not experienced any incidents (partly because we are still growing in size).  However, this will definetly be added.

3. I didn't see any mention of your data center. For example, do you have a redundant facility in a different geographic location. Would I experience any noticeable latency as a result of your pre-processing my email? And yes, I recognize there will be some latency in such challenge-response system.
=> Our datacenter is in downtown LA located in the building where XO peers into Los Angeles.  Everything is fully redundant in every way:  Power, A/C, Network, Storage, Servers....etc.  The processing of the emails is instant once they are received.  Gafana fetches email from your servers at various intervals depending on your email account.  No longer than every 5 minutes, but usually more like 15-30 seconds for POP3 accounts.

4. I didn't see a mention of who you've partnered with for virus protection. Sorry, but in my mind not all vendors are the same.
=>  For virus protection, we are using ClamAV to filter all emails as they come in

5. Can your system properly handle email with digital signatures? I've used som'e systems where after going through the preprocessing, the email looked like it had been tampered because .
=> We have not had any users experience problems with digital signature.  However, I will look into this more and give you futher details about this.

6. Does the content filtering, block the entire email or scrub the message? As example, if   I add the term "breast" to content filtering, do you stop an email if it ask me to make a contribution to "breast cancer"? Or, will you simply remove the occurrence of the word "breast" from the body of the email? Your flash demo made it look like the term was removed.
=> You can choose how to handle filtering.  If you do enable filtering, you can choose to have it either filter the email by replacing the offending word with [filtered].  You can also choose to have the entire email simply deleted.  You can also select if you which to automatically block the sender for sending bad emails and choose if you and/or the sender should be notified that they were blocked because of this.  You can also edit and list of words in the bad-content list.

7. Can I do an import of my address book from Outlook or even a .CSV file to be put on what I'll call a "whitelist"?
=> For all AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo accounts, you can automatically import your address book.  For users using OE, you can import your addressbook using our import program.

"and as I mentioned earlier, by combining that feature with an automatic email from a form on your website (if t"
=>  This is not a problem and can be setup if it is desired by you guys.

"heres another question, how much control does one have over the content of the verification email request? Would a company be a'ble to customize it to reflect their business or add a special note to it? Or is it just a generic, one size fits all, email that is "
=> You are able to modify the verification email to say whatever you would like it to say.

Again, the service works great and I am sure if some actually tried it, you would be happy.  Still looking for more to give it a try on any of their accounts.  It does not have to be associated with Lunarpages or your business websites.  Any more questions, I am here to answer them all the best I can. 

- Gabriel

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »
And yes, the basic method of blocking spam is similar to the way Spamarrest and Mailblocks does it.  However they charge for this, as does Gafana. 

We are trying to find testers to see if you like it and would want to use it.  It will be offered to all Lunarpage members free of charge for life.  All we ask is that you try it and use it.

amy

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 07:09:24 PM »
You guys make me so proud :D

I told Gabriel about the caliber of our customers and if you all tested this and gave it our ok.. We’d implement it..

I just KNEW you would all ask the relevant questions (ones that can become FAQs later too!).

We still need more testers so please PM me when you sign up.

Please also keep in mind this will be a FREE service only for Lunarpages Customers.

Offline gafana

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »
Just a reminder, the link to signup is:   https://www.gafana.com/signup.php?ref=lunarpages

- Gabriel

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 04:21:14 AM »
Is there any way to whitelist form submissions?  NMS FormMail fills in the email “from” information so that it appears to have come from the person submitting the form.  I’d rather that they not then be challenged for verification after using my own form.  (My lack of email handling knowledge is showing through now. ;) )

Maybe I can work around it by using a variable other than NMSFM’s “email” value for email addresses so that it doesn’t plug in return information.  It’ll make replying a bit more of a pain as we’ll have to copy/paste the address into the to line.  However, I’m about to start collecting all the form submittals and using cron jobs to do daily digests so it might be a moot question for me.

That’s one of the bigger reasons I’m holding off on signing up right now.