Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: My first swing at CSS  (Read 1864 times)

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
    • Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
My first swing at CSS
« on: December 30, 2005, 07:19:50 PM »
OK, I'm kinda hyped, I've built up a new website and decided, what the hey, I talked (or assisted at least ;) ) EOBeav into trying Dreamweaver and thus let him talk me into buying a CSS book.  (Well actually I'm getting reimbursed so I guess a book got bought for me. :D )

Thus this is my first attempt at a pure CSS-styled website, and man was it hard to force myself not to fiddle with HTML attributes.

It's a pure rough-in at the moment so it only consists of 6 pages and some sample downloadable files.  I'm intending it to be a prototype to try to get a new feel for the subventure we're trying and to give CSS a try.

So, let me have it.  I've only tried it in FF 1.5 and IE 6 so there might be other brower issues I don't know about yet.

Hiwassee River Rails Adventures
User: HRRA
Pwd: HRRA
(To keep out bots and the railfans trying to get early info... not that there's any on the site right now.)

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
Re: My first swing at CSS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:02:28 PM »
Hey, it looks great!  And I see you used the tabbed navigation from that book.  It really fits in with the rest of the page nicely.  I like your color selection on here too.  My only comment would be that the text in the header is a little difficult to read at first. 

Congratulations on a great first effort.  Will this organization be using your work?
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 06:21:27 AM »
Thanks, and yeah that book is great.  I've wanted to try tabbed navigation for awhile but didn't have a  clue on how to do it until the book.  Then it about killed me trying to get it to work with Dreamweaver though; with DW's editable regions with templates, it locks out the body tags so I had to get inventive to figure out how make unique IDs for the pages.  Probably would only have taken a real designer a couple minutes, took me an hour or so. :)  I'm getting that HTML Utopia book once the next revision releases in Feb.

On the readability, do you mean the banner or the nav tabs?  (The banners are going to be revise once my wife, the graphic artist genius, gets free.)

Heh, they'll be using me.  I pay for this honor :) since it's a venture of the RR museum.  (I'm a volunteer with the museum and took over as webmaster a couple years ago.) 

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:24:51 PM »
Da-bump.

Verson 0.7 (purely out of my... er... out of thin air number there.)

I wanted to break up the single column look to the page somewhat so I gave it a sidebar (again thank you CSS Anthology book).

I'm still hammering at a bit of javascript associated with the Picture of the Month.  Found a nifty free-for-non-profits piece of JS, but I'm having trouble getting it to work in a seperate file so right now it's bloating the head of the page.

And all my base photos are a bit on the rough side, but they get the point across.  I've got the call out for some higher quality photos.  And the banners are still being roughed in too, once 10,000 other projects get out of the way those will get improved too.

Anyways, any more critques please.
Hiwassee River Rails Adventures
user: HRRA
pwd: HRRA

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:40:03 PM »
Nice job SOU610 ! Do you live near Hiawassee ?? My mother was raised near there and that side of the family still resides there. Nice place, I love hiking that part of the country.

Thanks for the memories,,,

RAT

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:42:41 AM »
Roughly, Chattanooga.  Although with no easy way to Etowah from here, it's a fairly long drive.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »
OK, one last request for comments.  I'm sending this out tonight to my higher-ups.  Since it's the weekend, if you guys (and gals) catch anything, maybe I can fix it before others notice.

linky
user: HRRA
pwd: HRRA

Thanks, now to go fall into bed.

PS might help to upload the site...

PSS Ugh, uploaded and I'm not valid on my XHTML, I'm going to have to figure out where I went wrong... tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 08:50:12 PM by SOU610 »

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:14:45 PM »
SOU, I say go for it.  This is a really nice looking website, and you should be proud of your first CSS effort.  I just checked your index page and it's valid. 

This job gets you your next one.  Be sure and be Loud and Proud when you show this to your next client, a paying customer.  Believe me, you will have no prouder moment than when you take that first web design check to the bank.

EDIT

One thing you might want to do is scoot your left content margin in from the edge, and maybe the right content margin as well.    There's some thought out there as to not having content lines too long.  I think the rule of thumb is something like 25-40 characters per line.  Somebody else might want to chime in on that though. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:20:22 PM by EOBeav »
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »

One thing you might want to do is scoot your left content margin in from the edge, and maybe the right content margin as well.    There's some thought out there as to not having content lines too long.  I think the rule of thumb is something like 25-40 characters per line.  Somebody else might want to chime in on that though. 

I'm don't know about the 25-40 rule but a little (more) left padding on the p element would be nice I think.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »
Thanks, EOBeav. :D  Actually you get a lot of credit on this too, that CSS book turned out to be an eye-opener on how easy CSS actually is.  (Tell ya what, I'll give you a 10% cut of my take. ;) )

My wife and I are seriously talking about getting into web design.  I just gotta get more info on what's expected of a developer.  Especially on the content management end once it's handed over since everything I've done so far is straight html pages, these are php pages to run the includes for the sidebar and navigation.  Guess I need to start learning dynamic pages now.

Good point on the width issue.  That's one reason I stuck with designing for 800x600 resoultion.  Typically I've slimmed down the body even more with pictures, I'm just short on those right now.  Playing with the margins will help too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:45:02 PM by SOU610 »

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
I'm don't know about the 25-40 rule but a little (more) left padding on the p element would be nice I think.
Good suggest.  OK, I've increased the margin on the left side of the main text and the sidebar was pulled in a bit too to make more margin on the right.

How's this look?

That schedule table has been giving me fits, but I want it gone anyways.  I'm working on a CSS/table calendar for the main site and I'm thinking of incorporating something like it instead of that awlful table with too many dates.  Info overload in table format.

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 06:56:40 PM »
I agree with EOBeav. Go for it.

Offline SOU610

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »
Cool, thanks!