Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Intermittant email with outlook  (Read 585 times)

Offline Andrea

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.westside-baptist.net
Intermittant email with outlook
« on: December 23, 2005, 08:56:05 AM »
Hi

I'm using Outlook Express. I know my settings are correct because one day everything works and the next day it doesn't, and the next day it does....

This is my error message:

The host 'skidmoreadgroup.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Skidmore Ad Group', Server: 'skidmoreadgroup.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Thanks, Andrea

Lupine1647

Re: Intermittant email with outlook
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »
Looks like your domain just expired.

Offline Andrea

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.westside-baptist.net
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:14:39 AM »
OK, wow, I'm not sure how my boss missed that. Good thing I have another active account or I'd be shut down. Still, the problem has happened before...frequently. I just chose this day to ask for help. Thanks! Andrea

Offline SteveL

• Spacescooter Operator
  • God of Balance
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:37:18 AM »
Hi Andrea,

There could be a wide variety of issues for your email client not to connect to the mail server.  First, if you arent able to reconnect within a minute or two, then try running a tracert to your domain name to see if your signal is getting through to the server.  You can run a tracrt in Windows by going to START, then RUN, then type in COMMAND or CMD to enter a command prompt window.  From the command prompt, type in: 

tracert yourdomain.com

This should show you a list of the servers your signal hops along on the internet to get to our server at the end.  If any of the hops has a timeout, then that could possibly be one source of not connecting.  I believe Outlook is set by default to give up trying to connect after 15 secs.  If your tracert goes through to our server without any timeouts along the line or delays (pings greater than 150ms), then immediately try reconnecting with Outlook again.  If there's still no connection, go ahead an reboot your machine.  If you're using WindowsXP Firewall or Norton Anti-Virus, I wouldnt put it past those programs to block your email signal for no apparent reason out of the blue.  Rebooting the pc could possibly put them back in their normal working order.

On occassion, we do have to restart mail services on a server for one reason or another, but this process usually takes less than a minute to be fully up and running again.  So, its possible you may have tried to connect in the middle of a mail server restart, or larger server restart.  So, give the server a minute or so to restart, then try connecting again.

If you STILL arent able to connect at that point, then you can either go ahead email us at support@lunarpages.com  and we'd be happy to investigate from our end for you.

:yey:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 04:11:11 AM by Pete »

Offline Pete

• Alien Anomaly
  • Senior Moderator
  • Professor in Nanotechnology
    • X-Visions Website Design
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 04:10:07 AM »
N.B. Dont forget if you Do need to contact support to use an alternate email account that does work. :wink:
x-visions.com

As I'm always saying.. (But nobody listens)
"Take a step back.. Take a deep breath and see if there a simple solution there, thats hiding" lol  :DLunarpages Web Hosting   Lunarpages Forums  Lunarpages Affiliate Program