Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: MxLogic  (Read 583 times)

Offline m909

• Trekkie
MxLogic
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:44:05 AM »
does anyone know if lunarpages still offers MxLogic or something similar for single email accounts?  it still appears as a sticky on this forum...

if not, any advice on other software or methods of scanning a single account on a domain?  i need to setup something for one particular user that either stops or marks virus-attached emails before it reaches the desktop.  they are using outlook + norton, and norton's virus shield displays an annoying popup for each virus-attached email.  they receive ~100 of these per day, so it takes quite some time to close all the notifications.

thanks!

Offline Tracie

• MR-Disabled
  • Master Jedi
Re: MxLogic
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi m909,

Lunarpages is no longer offering EDefense. I'll un-sticky that thread.

Have you tried Spam Assassin? Here are some helpful links:

how to automatically delete spam
http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=17740.0

Auto-discard for Spam
http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=20391.0

And also, this link is very helpful in training spam assassin:
http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=13958.0

Offline m909

• Trekkie
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »
Thanks Tracie,

I do indeed have SA running along with the desired filters.  It's working well for every user except one.  This user recently started receiving a ton of emails w/ virus-attachments, and SA isn't marking any of them as spam.  I assumed this is because SA isn't a virus scanner and the bodies of these messages must be slipping through the SA filter.  So I've been looking for something like a server-side virus scanner that can applied to this particular email account.  (Although applying it to everyone's email probably wouldn't hurt)...

Is EDefense something I could purchase and install myself?  Are there any similar programs I would be allowed to install on the server?

Offline Tracie

• MR-Disabled
  • Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »
Hi m909,

You wouldn't be able to purchase EDefense from Lunarpages. I don't know of any issues of purchasing it on your own and having us modify your MX records accordingly, however, we'd not be able to "officially" support it.

Is the IP the same on these virus emails? Have you tried blocking the IP?

Offline m909

• Trekkie
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 03:18:09 PM »
Nope, different IPs.  Can IPs be spoofed too, or just the From field?  The variety of sources for these emails leads me to believe this account has been receiving such emails for some time now.  Like the address has been in heavy rotation on spammer lists or something.  I think the previous webhost had some spam and virus scanners running behind the scenes (we couldn't control them ourselves).  After moving to LP, every user had an increase in spam.  This made me realize that SA wasn't enabled by default, so I flipped it on.  It's working great for everyone except this one user.  This has been puzzling me and the client's own tech team.  I suggested trying a new address, but the user doesn't like this idea.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.  I will continue searching...