Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: First ever website.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
First ever website.
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:00:33 AM »
My first ever Flash site vs. my first ever PHP site.
Come to think of it - it's my first ever website of any kind.
Your thoughts?

www.joannamichaelides.com

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Re: First ever website.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 03:40:48 AM »
Pretty slick, Joanna - way to go!
Are you still working on it?
I only ask cause of the "emptiness" of the portfolio page.
You've got alot of space there...room to show more of your stuff.

Very nice photography too!
Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

Offline hamburger

• hamburglar
  • Master Jedi
  • I used to be Human....2.0b
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 04:36:09 PM »
yes it look great!
in the portolio when you click and image on the right menu it then brings up the thumbnails, these thumbnails could be a bit bigger.

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:57:22 PM »
@RickJ:
I'm the fashion-impaired husband who committed the site. The sites are finished - the emptiness is by design. Is it that bad?

@human2.0b:
I wanted them super-small so they would not interfere with the picture (composition focus points).

@both:
thanks dudes!

Offline philvis

• Master Jedi
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 05:22:15 AM »
I think the site is very artfully designed and is almost an untouchable presentation of the photography which is also very nice.

I agree that the thumbs on the flash page generated from the photos on the right are a little too small. I am running 1280 x 1024 resolution though so my perspective is not typical. I'm sure you've checked it at other resolutions and made the decision based on that.

I don't like non-resizable windows like the one that opens with the flash movie. Just bugs me like disabling right clicking. If its a window displaying on my monitor, I feel like I own it and out to be able to resize it. I also wish you didn't have to mouse over the flash navigation menu each time you want to use it. Its small and subtle when opened as it is.

One question. Why did you go with the medium dark grey background for the html site and black for the flash one? The black is much more dynamic in my opinion.

Having a site "reviewed" in these forums is a little like asking if someone likes a particular piece of music. For the most part, its a matter of taste and I suspect you know your target audience and are in the best position to make decisions based on that and your personal tastes.

Once again, its a very nice site.

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »
Thanks man, I'll look into the points you've made.

I didn't want the window to be resized because it changes the actual behaviour of the flash. (You can figure out what happened easily but half the fashiony world won't.) But if it's that annoying I'd better figure out of frame controls.
I won't let the main menu in but I'll make it slide faster. (Initially it was 3x as fast, but  the client complained.)
About the bg colours: the html site (darkgrey) is a lot older than the flash. I didn't like it much hence the black in flash. One of these days I'll change it on the html site too.

Thanks again.

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 10:57:55 PM »
You've broken some rules here, and I mean that as a compliment.  In general, I'm put off by horizontal sites, but this one works for some reason.  I'm not a big fan of "intro" pages because it adds one more barrier between your visitors and your content.  You've obviously done a lot of work with both the flash and the html versions though.  How about integrating the two in some way?  Just a thought. 

Also, Philvis, there is a great deal of subjectivity that goes into site design.  However, there are also some no-no's and just plain bad practices that unfortunately get used too often.  I tend to comment from the perspective of somebody who's coming across a site for the first time, and look for some reasons why that person might stay or might click away to go elsewhere. 
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:46:04 PM »
Hi EOBeav,
thanks for taking the time to visit and reply, thanks for the compliments too: if it works then rule breaking are cool.

generally are you put off by horiz. sites because scrolling or for aestethic reasons?

have been on (slow) modem all my life (ok, 'till a couple of years ago) and have a acute hate for flash sites. I wanted to give ppl the option I would like having. also macromedia is "helping along" their demografic numbers for Flash - what with versions and that .. ads up even more. hence - the intro page.

thanks again

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 06:26:32 PM »
Nice site  with nice pics. Not bad for first time (find that hard to believe) !! I too dislike scrolling side to side or vertical for that matter but the pics here are alluring enough to make you want to without hating to ! I agree that the background on the html should be black. I havent viewed the Flash version as I dont have the latest version and probly wont be getting it, I just dont use it yet.  I agree having an intro page is a no no in the design world but like the other rules that have been broken here, it does work. Way to go ! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing with us !   :thumb:

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 07:24:12 AM »
Hi, RAT, thanks for your thoughts.

"having an intro page is a no no in the design world"

intro pages sometimes are a necesity, especially when you want ppl that are to bored to install the latest version of flash to be able to view an purely HTML version of the site. I could have had you automatically redirected to the HTML site because you didn't have the plugin but that wouldn't have been your choice, would it? There's no other way around that except an "intro" page. No Intro = No Choice.

"I too dislike scrolling side to side or vertical for that matter"

:) LOL man. No-scrolling-whatsoever-sites are becoming quite rare indeed! Huzza for the ppl that can cram their content + navigation in 990x760! But you should imagine how difficult that is if you actually have something to show and don't want to use flash. Speakng of the devil, why on earth not update your plugin? It's not as if it would take mopre than 10 seconds.. or as if it would cost you anything.. You're just narrowing your browsing horizonts by staying in the 15% slice.

thanks again

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »
ISD, here's an idea that might work better than an intro page.  Have it go directly to the html page, but have a noticeable link from there that says something like, "Click here to se the flash version of this site".  Then, you can just link to the flash page from there.  Seriously, an intro page is a bad idea.  There's some research out there that says many people click away from an intro page, something you don't want your visitors doing.  I think you do have another choice here.  Another thing about flash vs. html before I quit:  Not everybody can update flash.  Some might be viewing your site at a library, school, or university on a machine that they can't control that way.  You want your site to be as accessible as possible. 

In general, horizontal sites don't work well, simply because people aren't used to scrolling sideways.  That could potentially become distracting for somebody visiting your site the very first time.  Example:  The Korg keyboard company has a site that scrolls sideways, and I never have liked it.  Love the boards (I own two), detest the site.  I think you've made it work in your case, though.  It's just something you want to think about.  Part of good site design is keeping the visitor in mind. 

If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline RAT

• Wizard of Telecastria
  • Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
  • HAIRNT !
    • RATtreks.com
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »
EObeav, you never mentioned you were musically inclined ?? I too have played piano and keyboards all my life ( i have a yamaha) but KORG makes the effects processor that I use for my lead guitar. You are right, their site navigates a bit odd !!
   I totally agree with your idea to go straight to html page then have link for "Flash", why didnt I think of that ?? lol

RAT

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 04:22:59 PM »
Wow...just checked out the KORG site.  I usually appreciate uniqueness, but I think that horizontal-ness is yuck.
Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
RAT - Yep, I actually taught music once, in a previous life.  My involvement with music these days is limited to piano/keys at church for right now, although I've been learning to play acoustic bass guitar and have played in a bluegrass venue a few times.  I played the trombone in college.  I'd love to play guitar, but at 38 I'm wondering if my fingers are getting a bit old to train them for that.  I just don't know.  It's been fun playing a bass guitar, though. 

RickJ and RAT - Yeah, that site is way too busy, and the horizontal thing just adds to it.  They do make some decent stuff, so I'm not complaining. I just don't visit their site very often.   :-?

Offline ISDExecutor

• Space Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
Hi, EOBeav

the thing is the flash site IS the main site, the HTML is purely auxilliary, it doesn't even have all the content. Makes no sense to put o "click here to view the html version of this site" in the flash though. I could check whether the visitor has or not the flash version needed and direct him/her automatically accordingly, but sometimes ppl want to see Html version because they think it'll be faster. I might drop the html page altogether in the near future so that will be the end of the intro page, although in the world of flash design intro pages are quite commonly used. here are some world acclaimed sites with intro pages:
http://www.ro-audio.com/
http://www.subsociety.se/
http://www.marinapenno.com/
http://www.magicsocket.com/

the intro pages that ppl click away from are flash intro animations that take a lot to load and offer no content whatsoever or have no point whatsoever, just some pretty (according to the designer) stuff moving around. and some glitter. and stuff exploding. that's the "skip intro" age of flash. I click away from that kind of intro page too.

the Korg site has an unnecessary horizontal scroll. they could have easily crammed their content into a non-scrolling page. but the philosophy of the site is that they give you more horizontal playground (keyboards) than can fit on a puny monitor. gives you a bit of a feeling of a loooooooooooooong keyboard. and once you get that, the site is quite cool. but if you're not into looooooooooong keyboards or looooooooooooong equalizers then it kind of blows.