Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: "Your Email Account is Suspended For Security Reasons&q  (Read 3167 times)

Offline dorismao

"Your Email Account is Suspended For Security Reasons&q
« on: May 23, 2005, 09:53:48 AM »
Several accounts in our domain has recieved emails with the above subject line.  The From address is "Register@jouercosmetics.com", the domain name being ours.  In the message it says "Once you have completed the form in the attached file , your account records will not be interrupted and will continue as normal." There is an attachement email-text.zip.

Is this a virus?

Several of our accounts have been receiving an insane amount of SPAM (over 100 a day!).  We recently turned on SPAM Assassin and that didn't seem to do much.  I myself have not been experiencing the same spam issue, but maybe I simple don't use this accoutn as much?  Although I did notice since we turned on Spam Assassin that I expereince a delay in receiving my jouercosmetics.com emails.  There are times when I would receive a whole bunch of them at once, dating over 24 hours ago.  Coincidence??

Please help!!  I have been appointed by default the keeper of the domain and everyone is driving me nuts with their SPAM issues!!!

- Desperate and Not-So-Tech-Savvy.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 10:16:26 AM »
Yes, it's a virus... it's always fun getting emails from addresses that I know don't exist telling me that the administrator has disabled my account even though I am the administrator :)
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

stephan

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:18:05 AM »
You can ignore it. I am 99.999% sure it is a virus.

If your e-mail account has been suspended, then why does it still work! It is spam...

You can set the level of spam that spamassassin blocks in the control panel. If you set it too strict, lots of real mail can be blocked. Too leniant, and it will allow some spam through.

I'm not sure what you mean by the delayed e-mails, but some spam e-mails have forged dates and times in them, like, January 2000, etc. Spammers are stupid :-?

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
Quote from: stephan
If your e-mail account has been suspended, then why does it still work! It is spam...

I hadn't thought about that, but good point :)

some spam e-mails have forged dates and times in them, like, January 2000, etc.

I get spam from the future on several occassions as well... even got something from 2013 the other day...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:29:53 AM »
spammers manipulate the date to influence the placement of the messages in the inbox, which is usually sorted by time.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline dorismao

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 12:19:47 PM »
Thanks for all your help!  I will look into the spam assassin settings in the Cpanel.  What about the Email Defense that requires a monthly fee per account?  Is that more effective?

Re. the delayed emails, there was one occasion when I received 15 emails all at once, all legitimate emails from clients and associates.  When I looked at the send date, was they were from earlier in the day or the day before... and my client etc confirm that they did send that email out the day before.  Meanwhile I was recieving emails from my other accounts normally, and have not changed my Send/Recieve settings.  Maybe it was just a glitch in the server?

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 01:17:36 PM »
Email from different locations takes different routes to get to the server... sometimes with only a few "hops" in between, other times with several... and sometimes one of those "hops" slows everything down, which can result in the sort of thing you are describing. It isn't a problem on LP's end and not even necessarily a problem on the client's end. It's just a problem somewhere between their machine & LP. I had this happen one morning last week actually (not involving LP's servers at all but RoadRunner & my wife's work account) were emails took about 4-5 hours to be delivered. Still not sure where the slow down was, but it happens unfortunately. I still have to chuckle sometimes when I notice myself getting upset when an email takes more than 30 seconds to be delivered and then I think about how long it would take to get there without email and depending on regular (snail) mail delivery...