Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: booting 2 OS's without GRUB or other bootloader thingy  (Read 1814 times)

Offline deadly_risk

• Über Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
    • http://www.mannindustries.net
booting 2 OS's without GRUB or other bootloader thingy
« on: April 29, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »
Not sure if it goes here so move if the urge is felt.

I got a new comp, but to use the money my parents agreed to put in to pad the cost I had to buy it whole instead of building my own like I wanted to do (something about warrantees n' things) but anyway it has a 200GB SATA hard drive that xp home and its recovery partition came on.

I really don't want to mess with any of that. Instead I had the idea to add a 80GB SATA or so in the extra bay and put fedora core 3 on it, that way avoiding partitioning the 200GB and messing with GRUB and the rest hopefully.

I would like to set it up, so when its turned on regularly it boots right from the 200GB right into xp, and only have it boot from the 80GB when I boot it from a cd or a USB drive or something.

Possible? Too much trouble? I have the extra SATA ports on my mb and the extra power connectors and internal bay, and my BIOS supports multiple hard drives (from what I can see) and booting from a USB drive.
-Mann, KE5FMN
There are only two certainties: Death and Texas

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/everyotherfate

Offline hamburger

• hamburglar
  • Master Jedi
  • I used to be Human....2.0b
booting 2 OS's without GRUB or other bootloader thingy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:27:43 PM »
This is what i do because i dont like using the boot loaders (and dont boot to linux as much as i do to windows):
I have 2 hard drives:
1)has windows XP on it
2)has a ntfs and a linux partition on it

1st install windows xp on the first hard drive

2nd unplug the first hard drive and install linux on it (you shouldnt be asked to use a boot loader)

3rd replug in the first hard drive

now when you turn your computer on it should boot windows

to boot to linux when your computer starts up press the boot key (eg on mine its F8) and choose to boot from the second HD.

you may need to adjust the jumpers on your HD's im not sure what ive got mine set 2, probally:
1)Master, Cable Select
or
2)Cable Select, Cable Select
hope that helps....