Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: How do I send newsletters without being blacklisted as SPAM?  (Read 757 times)

Offline prodiv2

How do I send newsletters without being blacklisted as SPAM?
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:21:45 AM »
I am trying to organize smaller and limited newsletter mailings - and sure enough got caught in the "SPAM blacklist trap" very quickly. Now, I have learned about "whitelisting" as a meassure on the receiver side to ensure receipt of the mail, but does anybody know of any steps (websites, services, know-how´s) how to make your legitimate mails more SPAM TRAP proofed on the sender side? What can one do as a legitimate newsletter publisher of an opt-in list to ensure that the mails get through?

Thanks for your help, :-?

PS: just posted the same under MAIL forum - but this section seems more appropriate
Ralph
:)

Danielle

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 09:34:55 AM »
One thing you could do is make users have a TOS they agree to at the time of signup for the newsletter as well as logging their IP, then prior to sending them their first newsletter, auto reject any IPs that do not match to the email provided (this would likely mean gmail, yahoo & hotmail addresses will always invalidate, but by doing this you make sure they are who they say they are rather than putting a phony email) or have a phone number required and call users before adding them into the list.

For sending the newsletter, you can give each user a unique uid when the newletters are sent to be part of the subject title so that if they do report you as spam after agreeing to receive your newsletter, you can a) determine quickly who reported you to get rid of them from the list immediately, b) seek any damages against them they might have cost you via their negligence as you have the TOS they agreed to for this provision (making sure you include something in the TOS about reporting you for spam rather than opting out by clicking your opt out link will result in your ability to seek such damanges should any occur, including damaging your site and business reputation through their purposeful activity or negligence of following proper opt out protocol).  You could even seek a lawyer for the best type of legal contract to make up for the TOS.

Note: After writing this, though, I'm not certain you are asking about users reporting you for spamming or instead about your newsletters accidentally getting tagged by email filters as spam.  If this is the issue instead, then one way to get your email less likely to be tagged as spam by a filter would be to ensure the sender's email is the one that is actually sending the newsletter and that the email is hard-coded in the script sending out the email.  Many mailing list programs don't really explicitly list the email sender and this causes filters to tag them as spam.  What email program are you using to send messages?  If Mailman, I would highly suggest changing to something you can configure like Dada Mail instead.

Offline prodiv2

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »
Hello Danielle (and resident alien ....)   :)
Yes, you are right - I am more thinking along the lines of what one can do preventavly from a publishers point of view. Face it - if somebody wants to blacklist you he will do it. However, I like to think that our subscribers are "nice" enough to not consider that, plus we keep our list well updated and honor removal requests right away.

It just seems to me that there is a very large amount of information and resources to protect the recipient (consumer) from all this so called SPAM mail, but are there any protective measures available for the legitimate non-spamming publisher? I have read about white-listing instructions as part of your mail (that seems like jumping through a lot of hoops) to double opt-in procedures (wonder how much subscribers you will loose?).

There are websites and services for the protection of the consumer (interestingly most of them have commercial interests: may we sell you a SA software?) - but my question to the knowledgeble public here is - does any service exist for the "protection of the legitimate publisher" ????

Ralph