average depending on a few things..
1. location of yourself in relation to the server.
2. location of yourself to nearest ISP hub
3. # of other customers on that hub on at the same time.
4. # of hops between yourself and the server.
5. processor, and Harddrive speeds (minor in most cases, however there very noticeable differences can occur between a Pentium II 350MHz/256 SDRAM and a Pentium 4 2.8GHz/1Gb DDR in relation to download speeds obtained)
6. processes running on the system at the same time.
There are other factors as well, however, question is what is your Cable connection speed set to at Maximum by the provider?
Mine is now a 5Mbps down, but I used to be on 384 Kbps cable.