It's OK!
0 (0%)
Useless!
1 (14.3%)
Don't Know.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 13, 2005, 05:56:03 AM

Author Topic: EDefense - any good?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline 8-ball

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.clickass.net
EDefense - any good?
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:56:03 AM »
Is anyone using this? If so, is it any good? I'm thinking of using it, as Spam Assassin has been next to useless for the last few months, and I now get huge amounts of spam.

I know - I'll do a poll. I've never done one of those before  :D
www.red-leader.com

Offline Pete

• Alien Anomaly
  • Senior Moderator
  • Professor in Nanotechnology
    • X-Visions Website Design
EDefense - any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 06:41:55 AM »
Hi8-ball, Pete waves

I added an 'Its OK' option to your poll  :thumb:

Also might be worth asking people to post WHY they choose options. :wink:
What was good /bad etc ( Serious phone polls usually only get negative results and no feedback ) :thumb:
x-visions.com

As I'm always saying.. (But nobody listens)
"Take a step back.. Take a deep breath and see if there a simple solution there, thats hiding" lol  :DLunarpages Web Hosting   Lunarpages Forums  Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline rjn17960

Re: EDefense - any good?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:35:56 PM »
Quote from: 8-ball
Is anyone using this? If so, is it any good? I'm thinking of using it, as Spam Assassin has been next to useless for the last few months, and I now get huge amounts of spam.

I voted "It's great" for your poll, but there's a caveat. It didn't always work great, in fact it was pretty useless for awhile.

The major issue was that when it was setup, there were two MX records listed for my account. The primary one went through the Edefense server, and the secondary went straight to my email server.

We got tons of spam that went around Edefense. I suspect that when spammers send out emails, they send the spam to all the possible servers, not just the one listed as the primary one.

This was eventually resolved by removing the secondary MX record, but it took months to get to that point. Lunarpages support basically said "well, we can't help it if people send email directly to your server and not through EDefense".

After some persistence on insisting this is a problem, a different tech suggested we try removing the secondary address. Once this was done, the vast majority of the spam going around EDefense evaporated. I was getting hundreds of spam emails a day, and it went down to a few a week.

So, I think it's a very useful service and I couldn't imagine being without it.  About 70-90% of our daily emails are spam. I just wish that Lunarpages support had been a bit better in responding and solving the problem, rather than denying there was a problem in the first place.

Priest

EDefense - any good?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »
The issue about spammers sending directly to the secondary MX record is actually a recently discovered issue.  It was also unclear if removing the secondary MX would effect the delivery of messages from the Edefense server to the Account server.  So we wanted to proceed with caution rather than have people's mail completely disabled.  We now know there is no ill effect on an account if we remove that secondary MX, so we can quickly change that if this issue arises for Edefense customers.

- Steven

Offline kwdavids

• Galactic Royalty
    • Netsmart Technologies
Re: EDefense - any good?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 07:42:47 AM »
Quote from: 8-ball

SpamAssassin gets 99% (really) of my spam. To achieve this result, I had to enable the Bayesian option, feed back the spams that got through, and tinker with a few of the parameters. Oh, and I did put in a "rolex" filter. About all that gets through now are the phishing scams and viruses.

SpamAssassin has broken a few times on Lunarpages and when that happens, the spam starts rolling in. The problem I've seen is when it stop polling the databases on known spammers. Look at the email headers; if you never see RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET, something is broken and you should contact support.
Kevin