Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Need programming help  (Read 770 times)

Offline Snowbaby

• Trekkie
Need programming help
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:23:14 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if what I need would be best served by C ++/Perl/CGI or PHP - hence the crosspost.  However, I'm working on my dissertation and will be putting my study online.  I've designed most of the pages but I'm stuck on the programming and data management end.

Here are some of the things that I need to figure how to do ....

1. The form has multiple pages so I would need to carry the hidden data from page to page until the end (I have over 200 questions so it is quite extensive).

2. One section of the study requires that when respondents answer and hit enter, the options to proceed or stop will be given to them.  Also, on this section, I will need to give them immediate feedback if they get the item wrong .... (example, the word "INCORRECT" should appear in big red bold letters if they answer wrong).  Not sure how to provide this immediate feedback based on responses.

3. On the section above, respondents will only have 15 second to answer the question.  I will need to set up a "timer/clock" type thing on the page that is visible to respondents so they know how much time they have left.  At the end of the 15 seconds, they will be sent automatically to the next item.

4. At various points in the study, I would like to give respondents the option to continue or save their data and come back to it later.  It is quite long so people may not want to sit through it all in one shot.

5. I would like to provide a password/username or some sort of method that prevents any random person from filling out the survey.  In other words, I'd like folks to fill out by invitation only and to have a way to identify who's filling it out (through the use of password or ID# only as names will not be used in the survey itself)

6. I'd like to set something up where the likelihood of a respondent submitting the form more than once is reducted and a way that respondents can only participate in the study one time.

7. Most of all, I need to set up a way to reliably get the data and, if at all possible, to have it sent in a way that will be easy to transfer/ import to SPSS.

OK, I'm sure there are other little details that I'm missing to list but that's the gist of it.  I know NO programming so I guess my questions are:

1. Can anyone on here provide any info on how I can get this stuff done?

2. Is there code out there already available to use ... please direct me that way.

3. If I need to find a programmer to help me with this, what type of programmer would be more likely to serve my needs (Perl, C++, PHP, CGI, etc.)

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Need programming help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »
To save members from doing duplicate work, here's the other thread.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love: