Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: PHPBB - update to latest version  (Read 2583 times)

Offline 6string

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
PHPBB - update to latest version
« on: December 22, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »
Greets all,

Just wondering about a few things in regards to the 2.0.11 update and thought maybe someone could offer some insight.

1. Should I dl and use the update, or full version?

2.  Will this affect my custom template at all, or will my existing template work with no modification?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

**Changed Title by Lupus1647**
Regards,
Dave

Lupine1647

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:51:30 AM »
You just need to download the patch files. Also I don't think it will hurt the templates since it doesn't make any changes (will have to check again though).

Offline 6string

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 11:56:26 AM »
Ah, another choice..

Ok, so you are saying i can forgo the full and update downloads, and just use the available patch.  I should note that I am using a rather old version of phpbb.....(bad human, BAD HUMAN)
Regards,
Dave

Offline scanman20

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
    • http://www.notonebit.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:15 PM »
Lupus I think the patch requires shell access to run so that's not an option for a shared account. The changed files package is what I usually use.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
NotOneBit.com
MCSE - MCSA - MCP (<- unused since 2006!)

Lupine1647

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »
Sure? Because I used the Patch version to update to .11 for all my boards. Just run the .php file and it updates the tables and such, but you have to upload the changed files manually.

Offline 6string

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 02:02:37 PM »
Ok, i dl'd the patch, followed instructions included and attempted to update....

filled out the form with info and submitted.   It came up with a page stating the following:

Unable to get list of smilies from the DB
1146: Table 'hfdd002_xmb1.smiles' doesn't exist

SELECT code, smile_url
         FROM smiles

Upgrading to phpBB 2.0

Next step: initial_drops

...and that is all it did.  the "initial_drops" text is a link, so i clicked on it and it took me back the the initial form.  Anyone got any ideas here?  It doesn't appear to have updated a damn thing...
Regards,
Dave

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »
looks like a table in your database has been corrupted somehow, or deleted, try going into phpmyadmin and checking if that table is their.

Offline 6string

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:33:29 PM »
Yeah, i checked, it is there.  BUT, i think the upgrade.php file in the update is not developing the name of the table correctly.  The table is actually called phpbb_smilies and i get the feeling this updating utility from phpbb is referencing it incorrectly.   As a note, i have added custom tables to my db, but i did not alter any of the originals set up when i installed phpbb.
Regards,
Dave

Offline scanman20

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
    • http://www.notonebit.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 03:24:59 PM »
Quote from: Lupus1647
Sure? Because I used the Patch version to update to .11 for all my boards. Just run the .php file and it updates the tables and such, but you have to upload the changed files manually.

According to the phpbb docs...
7.iii. Patch file
The patch file is probably the best solution for those with many Mods or other changes who do not want to re-add them back to all the changed files. To use this you will need command line access to a standard UNIX type patch application....you should run the following command: patch -cl -d [PHPBB DIRECTORY] -p1 < [PATCH NAME] (where PHPBB DIRECTORY is the directory name your phpBB Installation resides in, for example phpBB2, and where PATCH NAME is the relevant filename of the selected patch file). This should complete quickly, hopefully without any HUNK FAILED comments.
I've never run the patch only because of this.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
NotOneBit.com
MCSE - MCSA - MCP (<- unused since 2006!)

Lupine1647

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 03:28:02 PM »
I think that part is talking about the .patch file and not the php file.

Offline pgp_protector

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 05:35:14 PM »
If your version is too old, the "Upadate" wont work, one way is to update to 2.0  then update to the newest version.

Me, I just backed up my Database, wiped the directory, installed the new system, and uploaded the Users, Forums, Private Messages, and was back up and running, now I just need to re-install my custom patches.