Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Only enough css to be dangerous  (Read 7746 times)

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
Only enough css to be dangerous
« on: November 27, 2004, 01:46:12 PM »
Okay... I wanted my site layout to be css based, and I found a great template, but I know only enough css to be dangerous, so although I've made changes that work in Firefox, I've pretty much broken the layout in other broswers.

I'm actually trying to change to a new layout, and would appreciate comments either on what you think of the old layout versus the new layout, or any suggestions you have in fixing the problems I've introduced in modifying the css.

This is the layout I'm working on:  http://rml3.com/a10p/gargoyles_test.html

Thanks,
Ron
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke

"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel." -Socrates

Offline deadly_risk

• Über Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
    • http://www.mannindustries.net
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 02:25:14 PM »
I like it. I couldn’t tell much of a difference between fire fox and IE6 besides the content box that holds "Home" "About Me" and "Feedback" at the top is a little short in IE6. I'm being kicked off so I can’t look at much, but it could be how IE interprets the content box model wrong. There is a page that explains it all, but I couldn’t find it in my bookmarks so maybe somebody could post it.

It seems a lot of your links seem to open new windows, is that on purpose? I don't like it much.
-Mann, KE5FMN
There are only two certainties: Death and Texas

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/everyotherfate

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 02:33:52 PM »
I like the layout and how you did the boxes on the left. :thumb:

I would agree with deadly_risk regarding the links opening in new windows. I can see it being handy to open some links in new windows but not every single link. I like to open a lot of links in new tabs when browsing, but not all of them. So to have to close every single link I visit if I don't open it in a new tab is a bit much. :-|

But otherwise you did a really good job. :)
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 08:15:36 PM »
Quote from: deadly_risk
It seems a lot of your links seem to open new windows, is that on purpose? I don't like it much.

Yeah, on the test page everything opens a new window.  I did that so I could easily open and compare different layouts.  Normally it would not work like that.   Generally I set it up so that only links outside of my own site would open a new window.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.  The IE problem should be relatively easy to fix.  The problem with Opera though.. I don't know.  That will take a bit more digging.

Thanks again,
Ron
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke

Offline deadly_risk

• Über Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 08:17:05 PM »
Quote from: ronmsf2
Quote from: deadly_risk

Yeah, on the test page everything opens a new window.  I did that so I could easily open and compare different layouts.  Normally it would not work like that.   Generally I set it up so that only links outside of my own site would open a new window.

Ah Groovy.
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 08:19:53 PM »
Quote from: Thu
But otherwise you did a really good job. :)

Thanks Thu, but remember, it is not really my work.  All I've done is made some minor changes to one of the Ruthsarian layouts... and in the process introduced some bugs!  But thank you for the compliment.

Regarding the links, so my note to deadly_risk.

-Ron

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »
I'm using that same exact Gargoyles layout from Ruthsarian for a website that I'm working on.  Unfortunately, I don't have the website uploaded anywhere that you can take a look at it, but I will do so as soon as possible. I'll have it available for everybody to see when we launch the site in another few weeks (hosted at LP, of course).  

I've had the same problem with other css templates:  Some of them work in FF/Mz, but not IE, and vice versa.   In your case, the size of your logo at the top left hand side may be the problem.  That's just a guess, though.  It's really not very noticeable.

There's a book out called "Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours", by Kynn Bartlett.  I highly recommend this book if you're just getting started out in CSS.  And especially if you're adapting other style sheets.  You'll find that you're able to have a lot more control over what you're able to do with the layout.

BTW, I like your color scheme and what you're doing with the layout.  Keep working with it, don't be afraid to experiment and find out what does and doesn't work.
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 09:24:48 AM »
i love it

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »
Quote from: EOBeav
I'm using that same exact Gargoyles layout from Ruthsarian for a website that I'm working on.

Hey that's great.  I'm definitely open to any tips you discover along the way, and am interested in checking out your site.  I like the Ruthsarian layouts.  Really nice guy too.  I probably would have given up on a css layout if I hadn't found his site.

Thanks for the book recommendation.  I will check it out.  I think the jagged right edge and the difference in hnav rendering between FF and IE can be pretty easily fixed.  I just need to spend some time with it.  The problem with Opera now looks like a quirk in Dreamweaver... if I preview the page with Opera through Dreamweaver, the layout is broken, but if I view the page on the LP server with Opera it looks fine.  Finally, the footer... I'm not sure there is much I can do about that.  I can apply 'clear both' to the footer div to pull that down, but that doesn't pull the content area down too, and I'm not sure that is possible since the left hand nav divs come after the content div.

Thanks for all your feedback.

-Ron

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 10:30:52 AM »
Quote from: Garvey
i love it

Thanks... I appreciate the feedback!

Offline deadly_risk

• Über Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 11:42:31 AM »
Quote from: EOBeav

There's a book out called "Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours", by Kynn Bartlett.  I highly recommend this book if you're just getting started out in CSS.

Its a good book, One of the few that gives readable reports on what works in what browsers and how to fix it.
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!

Danielle

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 10:31:54 PM »
Hi Ron,

I wanted to thank you for pointing out the CSS template.  I liked it so much I'm experimenting with it for my movies site I've been in the planning stages on for ages lol:

http://screeningblock.com/

This is only a day's worth of working on the idea for it so really nothing beyond changing colors and content (also, not sure if we need to retain the copyright he posted on it or not so will have to re-read his information on these templates).

Thanks again, and your site looks really good with what you've done on the template (I use Firefox so yours looks great on it anyway).  :thumb:

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 07:39:47 AM »
Hi Danielle,

I'm glad you liked the template.  As I said, I think the guy has put together some really nice templates, and I think it's great that he makes them freely available.  It really helped me out, so I'm more than happy to recommend his stuff to others.  It's also nice to know a few people using the layout as we may be able to help each other out.

Your movie review site looks great.  Thanks for sharing it.  I look forward to seeing more as you develop it, (and look forward to reading some of your reviews...)

-Ron

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
Graphic 1 or Graphic 2?
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 10:28:04 PM »
Scroll down past the first static image.  There are two animated graphics, one with a "transparent" background, and one with a black background and simulated starscape.  Which option do you prefer under the following categories, (or any comments are appreciated; these are just some things to consider):

1.  artistically
2.  for use in a technical document
3.  overall in the page it is in

http://www.rml3.com/a10p/detecting.htm

Thanks,
Ron

Offline deadly_risk

• Über Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Graphic 1 or Graphic 2?
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 10:30:33 PM »
I like the black background for everything, but the text is a little harder to read.
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!