Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Howzit look?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline PawPrints

• http://www.pawprintsphotography.ca
Howzit look?
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:22:23 AM »
I am interested in any feedback on my website. It looks fine on a eMac, but when I look at it on my Dell at work the graphics are blownup a bit and look a bit off.

Can anyone tell me how it looks with your computer? If possible could you let me know what browser and system you are using?

Thanks
Steve White

Unique pet portraits in your home or park
www.pawprintsphotography.ca
info@pawprintsphotography.ca

Offline Milton

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
Howzit look?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:35:33 AM »
I don't see any problems with the display of your site. However, I do have one suggestion. You are currently using images of text for every bit of text that I saw on your site. This is bad, unless you don't care about being found by search engines. Search engines can't read images of text. You might want to think about using actual text. There are quite a few benefits to this aside from the search engine issue:

1. It's much easier to edit text in an html document than in an image.
2. Using text reduces the size of your page. Your pages are probably twice the size they would be if you used text instead of images wherever possible. The download time of your site is a large factor in determining whether someone stays long enough to buy your products or services.
3. Accessibility. Much like the search engines, alternative browsers, such as screen readers for the blind, can't read text in an image, so you have effectively eliminated a few percentage points of the total internet population by using images of text. Considering that most estimates I've seen put the number of people online worldwide at over a billion, even one percent is a very significant number of people. I wouldn't want to ignore them.

Hope this helps.  :thumb:

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
Howzit look?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:20:19 AM »
cziffra, you definitely have a point.

PawPrints, the site displays properly in Opera 7 running on a WinXP Pro machine.

*cough* using one too many fonts change font of buttons *cough*

Otherwise, it looks nice.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
Howzit look?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:26:45 AM »
Looks nice... viewed with Firefox 1.0, Win2000, 1280x1024.
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke

"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel." -Socrates

Offline p0tter

• Village Idiot
  • Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • My Pixel Addiction
Howzit look?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:31:15 AM »
It has a bunch of 1px lines throughout it. Er, ok - On refresh those lines disapeared. So, you should be good on that.

Your background doesn't exatly match the layout. There is a darker green bordering the layout, and in the top left corner there's a large empty spot of it.

I would suggest making the background color to match the image borders of the layout, or replace the edge images with transparent bordered ones.

Other than that it looks great, good work.  :thumb:
O|||||O

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
Howzit look?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:55:37 AM »
looks fine to me... in both IE6 and FF on WinXP at 1024x768....
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline PawPrints

• http://www.pawprintsphotography.ca
image text and background
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 10:39:25 AM »
I use graphic text in my websites because I like the control I have over it.

If you look at the bottom of the page there is the entire text of that page in html text the same color as the background. You can drag a selection to see it. This seems to work in the past and solves two problems. The spiders will still be able to see text and I'm not limited to standard text.

As for the background, yes, I'll need to change that on the homepage. The other pages blend fine.

Thanks everyone for your eyes.
Steve White

Unique pet portraits in your home or park
www.pawprintsphotography.ca
info@pawprintsphotography.ca

Offline Milton

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
Re: image text and background
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 10:44:28 AM »
Quote from: PawPrints
If you look at the bottom of the page there is the entire text of that page in html text the same color as the background. You can drag a selection to see it. This seems to work in the past and solves two problems. The spiders will still be able to see text and I'm not limited to standard text.

Using text that is the same color as the background is a black hat SEO technique that can get you kicked out of search engines.