Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 1545 times)

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« on: November 12, 2004, 04:38:59 AM »
http://www.geneocity.com

I'm continuing to tweak on the technical end of things, but what about the look and layout?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:07:24 AM »
im assuming your talking about www.geneocity.com , if i'm right in thinking that, good job, it's a nice site :thumb:

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 05:23:11 AM »
Yes...I should have pointed that out.  Thank you!

Offline GarveysIT

• Berserker Poster
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
Genealogy
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:59:25 AM »
you will on your original posts top right hand corner a link labelled 'Edit/Delete post'

adding your link might be a good idea :thumb:  :yey:

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 06:10:38 AM »
Hey, thanks! ...I fixed it.

quidscribis

Genealogy
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 07:19:47 AM »
http://www.geneocity.com/secondsite/surname_index.htm - some surnames are mixed case, others are all caps.  Why the difference?  If there's a logical reason, ie main lines versus collateral lines, you'll want to indicate that at the top of the page.

Also, you may want to reconsider having the states abbreviated.  I say this as a genealogist myself.   :)   When abbreviations appear, people take every possible opportunity to misinterpret them.  

I also noticed that you didn't have a link to the master index on your home page, but did have a link for the surname index.  You may want to add a link for the master index to the home page.

The link for www.geneocity.com from http://www.geneocity.com/secondsite/p60.htm#i6286 doesn't resolve properly - you'll want to fix that link.  It's currently set to go to http://www.geneocity.com/secondsite/www.geneocity.com.  

Have you thought about adding some statistics?  ie how many people you have in your database and what date ranges they include?  You already have a very nice map there, so it seems logical to me to add that.

When you're done, you may want to consider submitting it to Cyndi's List - but then, you may have already thought of that.  :)

Keep in mind I'm a genealogy buff and a nitpicker, too.  :D

Other than that, it looks good.  I like the lack of clutter - looks nice and clean.  Good layout.

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:57:47 AM »
Thank you.  All excellent points well taken.  I'll add them to my quite long list.

My biggest problem of late is that I've got too many people emailing me "Do you know anything more about so and so".

I've got to get rid of the too many "contact me" links...and more tactfully say "This is all I've got folks".

Thanks again!

quidscribis

Genealogy
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:12:35 PM »
There's nothing wrong with putting that on your site.  "Please note that all the information I currently have is on the website.  If you don't see it, I don't have it."  And add something like "If you have more information on any of the individuals listed here, please contact me with the details."  Or something along those lines.  And make it big and bold.  :D  

How are you putting all that info up?  Do you have a database that you update to the site periodically?  If so, what do you use?  I'm curious because I've been thinking of doing something along those lines myself but haven't got that far yet.

And other questions occur to me.  You had an index only, but the data wasn't sorted by pedigree or family group.  Are they related?  Ie are they your ancestors?  Or is this a collection of certain names in certain places with no regard to relation or ancestry?  If they're related, you might want to include family group sheets or pedigree charts at some point in time.  

Ah, but now I'm just adding even more to your probably already very long and ever expanding list of things to do . . . :whip:

Good luck with your project.

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 08:49:39 AM »
I'm tweaking the site some this weekend.

I record all of my genealogical research, notes, etc. in software.  If you don't have software yet, spend the best $59 you ever spent and get The Master Genealogist: http://www.whollygenes.com/tmg.htm

Once you have a database you can present it on a site; like that Index you referenced: http://www.geneocity.com/secondsite/surname_index.htm

The software and web presentation is separate...so as I add info to my database, I need to periodically upload a fresh 'snapshot' of my database.

The index is simply everyone in my database.  As a real lover of the whole thing I go far beyond documenting just ancestors.  There are many cases where I run into a group of folks sharing in interest in, say, a 5th Great Grandparent...and I end up working with them dococumenting all his or her descendants.  Following the trails is half the fun!

Once you "enter" the database via a name, you can then navigate to any other people related to that person.

This is the only realistic way to turn all of the various things that go into documenting genealogical research into a navigable presentation.

Thanks again for the comments.  Have a nice weekend!

Offline GarveysIT

• Berserker Poster
Genealogy
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 08:55:59 AM »
you could use some sort of content management system in which some people could submit information, and you just authorize it to appear on the site.

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
Genealogy
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 02:56:52 AM »
Rootsweb has that feature built in...called a Post-em.  It allows others to add notes.  When something is added, I'm emailed.  Works wonderfully.
Rick.

Offline GarveysIT

• Berserker Poster
Genealogy
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 07:52:24 AM »
ahh, quite cool :yey: