Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: School counseling website  (Read 2584 times)

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
School counseling website
« on: November 06, 2004, 04:57:09 PM »
Hi everybody, hope you're having a great weekend.  It's beautiful here in the Pacific Northwest, which means that I've run out of excuses to get all of those leaves raked up in the yard.  I spent all afternoon doing that, and I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.  Just a few more hours before I can see what the Beavs can do to USC tonight in Corvallis, if anything.  Hey, ya never know.

I've been working on a website for the counseling program at our school.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to look right with FF or Mozilla, but it works fine in IE.  I'll work out those problems as I get a chance.  

Another wierd thing is that the school has the teachers use this really weak WYSIWYG editor that is too simple to use.  It's limited in what you can do, but it does let you upload your own html and graphics files.  However, that's all you can upload.  (I guess they assume that most school professionals can't write their own code.)  I had to figure out some other way to use my own html code with a .css file.  So, I uploaded the style sheet to my consulting website and had the school website read it from there.  Takes a second longer to load, but it's the best work-around I could come up with.  

Anyway, take a look at it and let me know what you think.  Thanks for checking it out!  And, go Beavs!!

Sunset Elementary School Counseling Program Website
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 05:50:27 PM »
"Steps to Respect, taught in grades 3, 4, and 5, teaches children to prevent bullying through good friendship skills and appropriate responses to bullying situations. Since victims of bullying are most likely to be socially isolated children, the curriculum presents appropriate ways to engage in friendships and join in with groups of children. Children are then taught how to recognize, refuse, and respond to bullying situations."

That results in the creation of what were known back in the day as "gangs".

Back to the point, it looks fine in Opera. It's workable as something that parents of the average elementary school student could look at.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 06:38:33 PM »
Quote from: sharpandpointless
"That results in the creation of what were known back in the day as "gangs".

Guess I don't quite understand that point, but I won't argue it here.  If you want more info about Steps to Respect, you can read about it here.

Thanks for taking a look at the site.  My primary audience is parents, teachers, and other professionals.  My goal was to have materials and information easily accessed in an inviting format.  Sounds like you found that to be the case.
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

quidscribis

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 07:04:08 PM »
It's easy to read, it looks inviting, and the layout is logical.  In other words, it looks good.  Not a ton of content, but then, perhaps you don't need it.  Oh, I looked at it through firefox and that didn't present any problems.

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 09:01:29 PM »
Overall looks... in FF the font is a bit larger (which I prefer) and the leaves don't fall across the screen (which I also prefer)... with falling leaves I keep feeling like I'm in a video game and am supposed to click on them or something to keep them from hitting the ground...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 10:04:34 PM »
It was a reference to
"the curriculum presents appropriate ways to engage in friendships and join in with groups of children" specifically, and meant in a light-hearted way.
The site's good, at least in Opera.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 02:39:11 AM »
as GMTurner, said, it works fine in FF, but the falling leaves dont fall, which i also think is a bonus :?

Offline Pete

• Alien Anomaly
  • Senior Moderator
  • Professor in Nanotechnology
    • X-Visions Website Design
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 03:42:13 AM »
I agrees with GMTurner and Garvey.

I was happy to see the leaves NOT working in FF
If you MUST have them in IE can you at least limit them to only falling for a few seconds  :?
x-visions.com

As I'm always saying.. (But nobody listens)
"Take a step back.. Take a deep breath and see if there a simple solution there, thats hiding" lol  :DLunarpages Web Hosting   Lunarpages Forums  Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 05:08:42 PM »
Thanks everybody for taking a look at it.  I have had mixed reviews for the falling leaves effect!  I'll remove that script when autumn is over here in a few weeks.  

Another thing that FF does--if you compare it to IE--is remove the body from the upper strip.  I have no idea why.  

sharpandpointless--I took your post wrong at first!  Thanks for clarifying.

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
School website updated
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 11:26:04 PM »
Hi everybody.  I updated the site for the counseling program at my elementary school.  The first site used some css which fell apart in FireFox for reasons I could never figure out.  I'm using the same theme and same content, but I'm using a different layout and I've added a couple of graphics and separated the menu from the main content area.

New website

Old website (Links on this page are disabled; this page is for comparison purposes only.)

Let me know what you think!  Also, on the links page, my first two links (Committee for Children and IVBD) don't work, either in IE or FF.  I've looked and looked at the source code, but can't figure it out.  Anybody have a spin on this one?  

Thanks for checking it out.

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
School website updated
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 11:37:21 PM »
~Edit~

I figured out the Links problem right after I posted.  The left hand column was specified at a goofy width value and was riding over the top of those two links.  One thing I'm learning in web design:  Persistence eventually pays off!

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
School website updated
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 11:50:42 PM »
I like the look of the new site better.

Regarding your first two links, the problem is your lh-col div is covering up those links.  If you have the 'web developer toolbar' for FF, click on 'Outline Block level elements' and you will be able to see this.

Check out "non-clickable links" in this article:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/common.html

-Ron
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke

"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel." -Socrates

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
School website updated
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 11:51:34 PM »
Ha... you're too quick... or I'm too slow....

Glad you got it figured out  :thumb:
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke

Offline EOBeav

• Jedi
    • Google Page
School website updated
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »
Ha ha...Thanks for the feedback anyway.  How do I get the web developer toolbar for FireFox?  I thought I downloaded the whole shebang...I'm looking for it on the pull-down menus but apparently I didn't get that one.  I'm always in the market for a good free html editor.

Also, grrr....I'm having a tough time to get my avatar to work.  I'm uploading an image to my own website which is hosted by LP, but for some reason I'm not getting the link address right.

Offline ronmsf2

• Master Jedi
School website updated
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 12:11:51 AM »
You can get the web developer toolbar here:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&category=Developer%20Tools&id=60

Also lot of other great FF extensions to check out!

-Ron