Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Lone Photo  (Read 7269 times)

Offline confused

• Über Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
    • http://www.lonephoto.com
Lone Photo
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2005, 08:38:32 PM »
I can't take credit for all of that. I can take about 1/3 of the credit. The other two thirds belong to leigh and pete. pete for the Frozen part. Leigh for the combination of my idea of the frames of life and petes Frozen.

But thanks!

Offline EOBeav

• LF Knothead of the year, 2005
  • Jedi
  • Gee, Wally, do you really think I can learn this php/MySQL stuff too?
    • Google Page
Lone Photo
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2005, 08:30:10 AM »
Confused, I think it looks great.  You're combining two of your passions:  Website creation and photography.  I think your landscape pics especially look nice.  You only had a few validation issues on the index page, and that was for some javascript and things like alt attribute not defined.  No biggie.  I know that any time I include somebody else's javascript, I'm not going to get that page to validate, as hard as I try.  

I like your header and menu on that first page.  However, since it's a photography site, how about including some digital "snippets" of a few of your best photos on there as well?  The page as a whole looks a little unfinished without some more graphic content.  Or, how about some photos of you, or the equipment you're using?  Just a thought.  

All in all, a nice site.  Drop me a line sometime when you see me on messenger so we can talk about software some more!
If you can't design an attractive, standards-compliant website using nothing more than Notepad and a decent graphics editor, you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
Lone Photo
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »
i like the site, it's really good, i've got a couple of ideas though (whether you want em or not :o )

center the site, but leave the little image in the top right set to the top right, if you dont want to make your photos open in a template, how about making them open in a smaller popup wiuth a 'close' button like Pete has done here:

http://x-visions.co.uk/3d.htm

oh yeah: your contact pages - one has words in bold and the other 2 dont.

Offline confused

• Über Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
Lone Photo
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2005, 05:54:42 PM »
Ahhh....thanks for pointhing that out garvey! Nice catch.

Eobeav...nice suggestion for the home page..I knew it was lacking something but I wasn't sure. Thanks, I will try to get some like 3 photos on the main page =). I might even put one up of me *shudders* (people usually don't get pictures of me lol.

Since everybody is suggesting that the photos open in something else I guess if I have time this weekend I will have them open in like a black page with a close button (even if I do have to create a seperate page for each photo) I think right?

BTW: Does DW have a close button? Or can somebody provide me with some code or whatnot? Not quite sure how to do that.

Thanks all again!  :)

Offline Pete

• Alien Anomaly
  • Senior Moderator
  • Professor in Nanotechnology
    • X-Visions Website Design
Lone Photo
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »
confused, You could just have looked at my link that garvey supplied :roll:

<FORM><input type="button" value="close"onClick="window.close()">
x-visions.com

As I'm always saying.. (But nobody listens)
"Take a step back.. Take a deep breath and see if there a simple solution there, thats hiding" lol  :DLunarpages Web Hosting   Lunarpages Forums  Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline 4thDDev

• Spacescooter Operator
    • 4th Dimension Development
Lone Photo
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2005, 05:59:21 PM »
I think the header may look better without the extra logo on the left and centered.  Another alternative would be to leave the logo and 'meld' the logo design on the left with the header. So make the logo on the left the same height and design/color scheme as your header or vice versa.  This would make the top look more unified and make your design consistent.

Other critiques:

1. Add a border around your drop menus.  This will help distinguish the drop downs from the background colors.
2. Create a "Links" page to launch your links from. Launching a new site from a drop down menu is a bit of a surprise for your visitors.
3. A helpful tool to use for any site is the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/ but you didn't have many validation issues.

The menu design looks great. I do like your header design and the left logo design, just not with the separate designs.

Good Work!
4th Dimension Development
time@4thdimensiondev.com
4thdimensiondev.com

Offline confused

• Über Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
Lone Photo
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2005, 06:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Pete
confused, You could just have looked at my link that garvey supplied :roll:

<FORM><input type="button" value="close"onClick="window.close()">

I know.......except I was busy trying to resize my page and take out the logo and center it( which I got done  :) ) Thanks though for the code Pete!

Thanks 4th! I will see if I can get a border around the drop down menus and think about making that link page!