Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: AHHH, A portfolio? What were you thinking?  (Read 6995 times)

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
    • http://www.mannindustries.net
AHHH, A portfolio? What were you thinking?
« on: October 25, 2004, 05:26:55 PM »
I has just occurred to me I have been here for awhile with out hearing what others think about my site. It kind of makes me queasy to look at it, cause I think I have the coding <cough cough> down but man the aesthetics suck and I just donít know what I am missing from a more professional looking site.

Constructive criticism welcome.

My own spur of the moment thoughts:
Why exactly do I have a glossary?
A links page? Why?
How It Works is awfully ambiguous.
Plain. To Plain.
-Mann, KE5FMN
There are only two certainties: Death and Texas

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/everyotherfate

Offline Gamesnmore

• Spacescooter Operator
    • Game Kiwi
Critique welcome
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 05:46:14 PM »
Alrighty, being as positive as possible :)

The black text on the Red background is a bit hard on the eyes (mainly the Red, a bit bright I think)

What is with the indented paragraphs?  I would probably use bullet points rather than indenting for points (with <ul> and <li>)

The Glossary I think is a good idea, but you need to possibly set it out better.  use a table and in the left have the word and in the right have the descriptions.  At the very least with the way it is at the moment bolden the words

On the Contact Us page, that yellow looks very bad.  it doesn't really need another background colour, You could put a border around it but just leave the bg white.

Looking through the rest of your site I notice that all of your paragraphs are indented.  Indentation of paragraphs was ever only used when there wasn't an extra line break between the paragraphs.  When you have a space between paragraphs you don't need to indent it.

Other than that It is ok :)
Game Kiwi - The best place for games and more!

Offline confused

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
    • http://www.lonephoto.com
Critique welcome
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 05:47:21 PM »
Why not put a portfolia up for everybody to look at? I know you want to meet but some people may skip out on the meeting and just move on if you show no work you have done?

Other than that i like it.

Why do you have a link page: every site needs a link page. It is a law lol.

Glossary: I dont know either.

Yeah you are lacking that "professional" feel. The same thing I dont know how to achieve so maybe someone else can come along and help? I always know that a nice photoshop pic seems to do a good job but thats just being cheap.

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Critique welcome
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 06:20:50 PM »
Bolded text in glossary and added a bit of line height to hopefully ease in reading until I work out a more perment fix.

Yellow in contact us... gone.

Paragraphs are going to have to wait for awhile first.

Heder color, what do yall think would look good?

And could yall please look around the site with a small(er) browser window and report the scaleability of the site?

edit: Well the paragraphs are fixed, forgot I used only one element for all of them and just them so changing it in the CSS was easy.
Any better looking?
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:
If it aint Texas or the badlands of New Mexico, dont belive anything I say about a state.

Save the Wells!

Offline p0tter

• Village Idiot
  • Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • My Pixel Addiction
Critique welcome
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 06:31:20 PM »
The header is too large (height wise). It doesn't look well with the rest of the site.

Try a different color scheme ( http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html ) great little source to quickly pick up colors & tones that work well with each other.

Design websites really only need three things. Portfolio, Contact Info, About/Mission Statement. Other things aren't really needed all that much. Leave the pizaz to the site's layout & structure as well as your previous work (which should be available in the portfolio).

:thumb:
O|||||O

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Critique welcome
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 06:33:48 PM »
Quote from: p0tter
The header is too large (height wise). It doesn't look well with the rest of the site.

Try a different color scheme ( http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html ) great little source to quickly pick up colors & tones that work well with each other.

Design websites really only need three things. Portfolio, Contact Info, About/Mission Statement. Other things aren't really needed all that much. Leave the pizaz to the site's layout & structure as well as your previous work (which should be available in the portfolio).

Agine with the portfolio. I dont have one. As far as I have gotten with a paying client is a few interviews and 2 proposles with a security firm and a layer in town. I did get one for a music store... until I told them at the time  I honestly had no expereance in setting up a e-commerce site.
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!

Offline p0tter

• Village Idiot
  • Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • My Pixel Addiction
Critique welcome
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »
Quote from: deadly_risk
Quote from: p0tter

Agine with the portfolio. I dont have one. As far as I have gotten with a paying client is a few interviews and 2 proposles with a security firm and a layer in town. I did get one for a music store... until I told them at the time  I honestly had no expereance in setting up a e-commerce site.

Simple way to fix that. Spend time creating layouts & designs and put them in your portfolio. Also, if your short on stuff. Put in any & everything you have ever done, from scripts to coding. You have a portfolio, you just don't have one that is live  :thumb:
O|||||O

Offline confused

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
Critique welcome
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 07:05:16 PM »
Yeah just create some stuff. I had some spare time once and I just started creating a photography site. Also mix up what you are best at and stuff but remember to focus on what you are good at.

Just make a few templates. put in some content and good....

Ideas for Templates:
Daycare Site
Photography Site
Gamers Site

Mix it up. Show em you can do it all, even if you cant lol. Unless it is REALLY beyond you go for it.

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Critique welcome
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 07:12:11 PM »
Quote from: confused
Yeah just create some stuff. I had some spare time once and I just started creating a photography site. Also mix up what you are best at and stuff but remember to focus on what you are good at.

Just make a few templates. put in some content and good....

Ideas for Templates:
Daycare Site
Photography Site
Gamers Site

Mix it up. Show em you can do it all, even if you cant lol. Unless it is REALLY beyond you go for it.

Now where is summer when I need it?
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!

Offline confused

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Oh So Confused
Critique welcome
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 07:15:19 PM »
Gone in the past, I tried to use my summer for that stuff and still didnt have the time..........

hey no girl to get in your way!  :D You got time!

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Critique welcome
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 07:16:30 PM »
Quote from: confused
Gone in the past, I tried to use my summer for that stuff and still didnt have the time..........

hey no girl to get in your way!  :D You got time!

Oh yeah, good point. No wait  :sleep:
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!

Offline Gamesnmore

• Spacescooter Operator
    • Game Kiwi
Critique welcome
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 07:57:44 PM »
You want summer?

Then come down under we are just about ot go into summer :)
how I love summer, warm weather, less work, and good looking chicks walking around in practicly nothing :D

Anyway back on subject

Hey those changes have made the site look heaps better.
A couple of other things you could consider.  Possibly border your main text.

By this I mean for the menu add some colour to it, follow that colour with a thin line of the same colour connecting from the menu to the edge of the screen over the main text.  also do this for the bottom as well.

as for colour try a blue (I seem to like blue don't know why) by blue I mean a blue similar to the blues of this board.

Also  with What We Are:  get rid of the : and make it the same size heading as the other headings you have on the other pages and center it.

for your main heading for the sub heading experiment a little.  Try making the text a little small, get rid of the quotes and italics it.

I see you have got rid of the glossary, that's cool.

Finally for now, the links page needs something done to it, though I am just not quite sure what yet.

Other than that, it is looking heaps better  :yey:
Game Kiwi - The best place for games and more!

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
Critique welcome
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 12:12:51 AM »
as for the portfolio, like p0tter said, make a few websites, or even make a few images that look like websites, that way you dont have to code them, i personally dont think the sites to nice, if i was going to buy a website i'd have to see a really nice site that jumps out at me, otherwise i would expect to have a site made that isn't going to be that good.

sorry for all the criticism
 :?

Offline deadly_risk

• ‹ber Jedi
  • Jornada Del Muerto
Critique welcome
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 11:13:45 AM »
Quote from: Garvey
as for the portfolio, like p0tter said, make a few websites, or even make a few images that look like websites, that way you dont have to code them, i personally dont think the sites to nice, if i was going to buy a website i'd have to see a really nice site that jumps out at me, otherwise i would expect to have a site made that isn't going to be that good.

sorry for all the criticism
 :?

For a wide market thatís understandable, but for computer illiterate small business owners of south Texas just being on the internet is nothing short of a miracle.
-Mann, KE5FMN

Disclaimer:

Save the Wells!

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Critique welcome
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »
:D
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love: