Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: My first serious site... comments needed  (Read 2557 times)

Offline PrimedDesign

My first serious site... comments needed
« on: July 30, 2004, 06:53:50 PM »
its a portfolio site to try to market myself with.  Ill be graduating with a graphic design degree next year so any kind of feedback would be appreciated.  Im not much of a coder so suggestions in that area would be great.  Thanks for your time....  heres the site.

http://primeddesign.com

Offline Milton

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 08:07:30 PM »
While your site looks nice, it suffers from the problem I've seen with many graphic designers, i.e. they design websites like they would design for print. You can't build sites that way. Well, you can, but if you want to make money off of them or have people use them, you will find it difficult. Your pages are way too big because you have used images for everything. I think there is at least 250K of images on your home page. Pages will take forever to load for someone on dialup and many people will leave because of that.

Designing for the web is a lot different from designing for print. The problem with your site is summed up by your statement at the bottom of your pages:
This website was completely hand drawn in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Therein lies the problem: you've drawn a site rather than coded a site. Web designs can certainly be artistic and beautiful, while at the same time being easy to use and accessible. However, the priority should be on making a site that is usable. A first step would be to use actual text instead of images of text. Text images are ok for logos, but for content they don't work well. For one thing search engines can't read your text if it is an image, which means you won't show up in search results. It isn't accessible either. Screen readers can't deal with images of text.

My comments probably sound harsh, but I've seen the exact same problems too many times with graphic designers who design their first site to not say anything. Web and graphic design are two fields that can go together very well, but you need a balance.

cziffra

Offline dai

• nekkid me!
  • Jedi
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 08:17:42 PM »
howdo's,

obviously you came in on a differnt boat compared to some of us and you have a very nice site (took a while to load on my dial-up but then i do live at the edge of the earth anyway..)

the only comments i have are regarding some of the wording and phrase's used with regards to your job-hunting (forgive me for blowing my own trumpet but i'm a bit of an expert in this area.)

for instance "try a find a job", that simply won't do!  i suggest "seek a career in..".  also, on the experience page, your objectives are "to obtain job opportuinities.." again this needs to be changed (isn't a job opportunity an interview?) to something along the lines of "to gain further experience and training towards my career goals".  moving down the same page, you have two sentences next to each other which both start with "also" (hence doesn't read well.)

sorry for being picky (yet i have even more similar comments..!!) but it's something which sticks out in my experience - my resume's were always commented on because of the layout and wording, to the point of almost always being accepted for interview regardless.

anyways, a great looking site you have there  8-)

leighsww

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »
I REALLY liked your site!!!  I'm on DSL, and only a couple slices took a little longer to load, otherwise all others were pretty fast for me. But I can see what cziffra is saying for those on dial-up.  

My opinion, in which I am going to differ from cziffra on is only because of this particular reason ... this is a "resume" website and your target audience is strictly to appeal to graphic design businesses/companies.  Due to this reason, I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that it's too "graphic oriented" because your objective is to land a job with a company in the graphic arts industry.

They will appreciate your skills in what you have created with your resume site.  I, myself, am in the graphic arts industry, and if I was looking to hire someone, your site resume would have impressed me :thumb:

I also feel that, although, yes it would be better to have it load faster for dial-up viewers, I am thinking that normally graphic design companies will have state-of-the-art computer equipment.  Thus, they should be on DSL, cable or better.

If your site was going to be targeted for the general public, then I would agree with cziffra that you would need to get that to load faster for those dial-up viewers.

Also, KillingMeSlowly is a very good writer so take his advice on those grammar comments of his.

Otherwise, I LOVED the look, it was easy enough to read everything because you kept verbiage simple and short  :thumb:

Best to you in getting hired!  :yey:

leighsww

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 09:49:32 PM »
I went back to your site and I realized I missed some pages that were embedded (not accessed from the menu) like the "Portfolio" page.

There are a few slices that are too big and you should slice them up more, because those were very slow in loading.  The images on the bottom portion of the "DVD Packaging" page for example.  Anyway, you'll know which ones are too big :P

Offline nyforever

• Trekkie
    • http://www.10thmountaindivision.net
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 09:55:20 PM »
i found some scripts that were not working. such as the java script on the arrows (cd page). also, i kinda found some stuff a little confusing. like "if i click this, wut will happen" sort of. y don't u change this whole site into flash??? that'll load up alot faster and alot better for you (if u don't want people stealing ur images).
"i feel like i proved my self to my self"
~Fear Factor Constantant

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »
I'm on DSL, but using my iPaq Pocket PC. So, I won't even try to look at the site. However, from what people have said, I would suggest that there be a compromise and that the first page be reasonably sized and designed for anyone who happens to come across the page. What if I had found it after searching on a search engine on my iPaq and then the huge size of the page crashed my device? :? Or what if I had clicked on the link before reading people's feedback here about the site's size? (Actually, I don't know if it will crash, but just theoretically). They're not common scenarios, so I'm not saying one must design for PDAs, but it applies to dial-up users who could come across the site randomly, too. Even then, my iPaq on DSL is still faster than a desktop on dial-up. There's no way to control it so that only graphic arts people with broadband will see the site unless search engine robots are banned from spidering it.

So how about the first page be more textual with background, experience, etc, and a link that goes to the portfolio?
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline nyforever

• Trekkie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 11:20:28 PM »
search engine robots

that gave me an idea. since it's all images, the search engine bots won't be able to do anything with ur site. so u will not get any referals from google, yahoo, ect. or, make a big list of words on the bottom with black font on black background. so those get picked up or something... and who goes on website 24/7 on a pocket pc??? also, my site is not recommeneded for dial-up users... 27 mb intro.. hahahahaha.. anywayz, i would really like to see that whole site as a flash.
~Fear Factor Constantant

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 01:30:50 AM »
Quote from: nyforever
and who goes on website 24/7 on a pocket pc???

Someone whose desktop PC is hundreds of miles away and needs to take breaks while she packs things to move hundreds of miles away. :poke:

Offline nyforever

• Trekkie
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 10:07:56 AM »
Quote from: TranzNDanceSomeone
whose desktop PC is hundreds of miles away and needs to take breaks while she packs things to move hundreds of miles away. :poke:

y not just buy a tablet pc or laptop...?
~Fear Factor Constantant

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 10:35:06 AM »
On the Abilities page:

The design programs I am familiar with include; Adobe Photosop, Illustrator, ....

Get rid of the semicolon after include.

On your Home page, I would get rid of the quotes around "Portfolio" and "Experience."
Also, you should take out the comma between "Graphic Designer" and your name.

It's kind of weird that the Experience page is the only one where the navigation mile markers are different (.5, 1, 2, 4 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4).

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 10:45:58 AM »
Quote from: nyforever
y not just buy a tablet pc or laptop...?

They don't fit in my purse. Nor would I want to lug them around when I have to use GPS navigation while walking around an unfamiliar town.

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 02:48:56 PM »
You should be able to check the option to fit to screen and the images will all scale down to show correctly - even on a pocket pc.

-
Like everyone else - huge load times but really nice looking design. I've recommend centering the whole graphic in the center so that people with really wide monitors see if bounded by a black box on each side.

- Ed

Offline PrimedDesign

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 12:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the great comments everyone!  Ill go through them and make changes accordingly as soon as ive got some time on my hands.  This is probably simple but ive looked all over for and couldn't figure out how to get my site to center itself in the browser.  Id also like to convert it all to flash but im a total flash newbie.  Is there a good site where i can go to copy some actionscripting?  And the load times are an issue but i figured that the only people looking at the site will be people at design firms and they are all on cable or dsl.  I havent been able to find it on any search engines because of the lack of embedded text.  The only way ppl can find it is through referrals and from the address on my buisiness card.  The grammar corrections are great.  If there are more suggestions in that area please dont hold back.  Im used to critisism, I can take it! Thanks again for the comments.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

leighsww

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 12:22:44 AM »
To center it, you can put the whole thing in a single cell table then center the entire table.