Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Question about backing up before MOD install  (Read 919 times)

Offline 6T7

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.FORDification.com
Question about backing up before MOD install
« on: July 30, 2004, 06:47:22 PM »
Earlier this evening I installed EasyMOD and used it to install the Country Flags MOD to my phpBB board. I did a full site backup first, which was good because I made an error which messed everything up. I reinstalled the backup and things were back to normal. I tried to reinstall the MOD with EasyMOD and this time it went along without a hitch and works fine.

I then tried to install the State Flags add-on, but got a lot of errors. After contacting the mod author, I learned that this MOD is not EasyMOD-compliant and would have to install manually.

There are a lot of files that need to be edited. Learning from my previous experience, I want to back up the forum files prior to my edits. If I just FTP the entire forum directory from LP to my home computer, can that be used as a backup in case things go bad? All the files in the forum directory are basically just the forum layout, and NOT the database that all the forum posts are stored in, correct? I mean, if I attempt the MOD, mess it up and have to back it up with the FTP backup, I won't lose any actual forum content, will I?

Offline Amy

• Administrator
  • Berserker Poster
Question about backing up before MOD install
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »
When you get a MOD it tells you what files you need to edit. If for example it says to edit index.php then when you are ready to upload the new files just rename the old ones.

Flags mod

Index.php > Index.php.flags
etc

Then if it fails, you can delete the ones you uploaded and rename the .flags back again.

However if the mod requires a database change, you should save the existing database section...

I.e. if the mod changes phpbb_USERS then save a copy to your local hard drive first (Use Myphp from control panel) save data and tables.

No point in uploading the whole forum all over again, with just a few files changed.

You could download your forum, rename its folder, then upload it again, that way you can test it out on a "test forum" before uploading to the working one.

/forum
/backup (Change settings for new location in admin)