Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: nothing special, just wondering  (Read 6739 times)

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
nothing special, just wondering
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 07:04:02 AM »
Yeha, I don't want it transparent; I want it like... half-invisible.  :?

http://crosscreekva.com/chess/kk.gif

Danielle

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 08:44:31 AM »
I did want to note that, if you have a camera, you can always take a picture of a chess piece or pieces (this way you don't run into copyright issues).  In fact, anything you need on a site for a drawing, you could instead go take a picture of that same type of item, then change it in Fireworks and incorporate it into the site.

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 09:03:33 AM »
I thought about that, but:
1. It was late last night, so I couldn't do it immediately, so I gave u.  :)
2. My chess pieces are boring.

heh. I'll see what I can do today though, now that my parents won't kill me for not being asleep  :wink:

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 09:26:30 AM »
Update:

Okay, I took some pics, but now I can't get them off the camera and onto the computer.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 09:32:24 AM »
Quote from: mussavcom
Update:

Okay, I took some pics, but now I can't get them off the camera and onto the computer.

Do you have a cable to connect from the computer to the camera? Or maybe a cardreader that could read the storage card that the camera uses? Have you downloaded pictures before from the camera?
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 10:25:25 AM »
Yeah, sorry, I should've mentioned. It's nothing you guys can help me with, basically the computer we used to use to download pics is shot, and the cable doesn't connect to this computer.

leighsww

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 11:25:36 AM »
Quote from: Danielle
this way you don't run into copyright issues

Thus, to avoid any copyright issues, you look for "royalty free" clipart/images (that's why I specifically mentioned "royalty free" in my earlier posts) because those are permissioned by the owner/artist to be useable without any copyright issues (as long as you don't resell the image. They are solely used for graphic design purposes.  Each royalty free site will state their terms of use).

But, taking photos is a very good idea if you can't find "royalty free" images of your subject (although there are tons of royalty free stuff out there) or for just creating your own image cuz you want to.

I create my own artwork so I can't tell you exactly where is best sites found for royalty free stuff, but type "royalty free" in Google and you should find a bunch.

The chess piece pic you posted mussavcom looks good.  Was that a royalty free image?  Make sure before you use it.  If it is, then I'll give you some ideas how to incorporate it with your site.

Offline p0tter

• Village Idiot
  • Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • My Pixel Addiction
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 04:14:16 PM »
Site looks great mussavcom.  :thumb:
O|||||O

Offline dai

• nekkid me!
  • Jedi
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2004, 04:37:39 PM »
Quote from: mussavcom
My chess pieces are boring.

wha?  i don't think i've actually seen an interesting chess piece..

another way around the copyright issue, one that i've found most useful myself, is a) completely ignore it and hope you never get caught, and b) own nothing in your name, spend any money you have ASAP and partake in poor bodily hygiene so they won't even want the shirt off your back...

i'm  a bit of a business guru as you can tell.... :o

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 04:43:32 PM »
Well, the images I've seen have coolish see-through glass ones that are...cool, and specifically made to sell the image, but I'm not about to go buy some images of chess pieces here.

Offline rpassmore

• Jedi
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 11:18:32 PM »
me likes.

only one suggestion I could think of, forums, everyone likes forums!  don't chess playing guys?   :?  :P
Like Diamonds in the ground, we are waiting to be found.  In silence we are bound, by the wailing wall of sound.

Danielle

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2004, 08:59:10 AM »
Hey leigh, I knew you noted royalty free, but for a lot of people, it is more fulfilling to take a crummy pic of their own stuff and put it online than take something freely provided online.  Call me silly, but if I put flowers other people took on my site and didn't use my own, I wouldn't enjoy what I created as much.  It might be more of a stretch doing it for a chess site, but that is still a legitimate idea to take a picture instead of grabbing someone else's, free though they may be, images  :poke:

Also, I think the site looks good, mussaVcom

leighsww

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2004, 10:10:45 AM »
Quote from: Danielle
Hey leigh, I knew you noted royalty free, but for a lot of people, it is more fulfilling to take a crummy pic of their own stuff and put it online than take something freely provided online.  Call me silly, but if I put flowers other people took on my site and didn't use my own, I wouldn't enjoy what I created as much.  It might be more of a stretch doing it for a chess site, but that is still a legitimate idea to take a picture instead of grabbing someone else's, free though they may be, images  :poke:

No, you're not silly ... I haven't disagreed with you at all about taking own pics. That I totally agree with and understand what you're saying, Miraenda.  I do all my own graphics, as well, but not so much cuz it's more fulfilling for me, it's what I do, I'm an artist, LOL :D

But, I feel that for someone who isn't artistically inclined or doesn't have a camera, or for that matter just won't get around to doing it if they have to do it themselves, then royalty free images are a good way to go :D

In fact, many graphic designers use royalty free (or paid-for) images for their ads, brochures, etc. because sometimes it's just easier and faster to use something already done - gets the job finished in a timely and less expensive manner.

Also, if mussavcom didn't so happen have chess pieces lying around (I don't, so I would have probably used royalty free art for that, cuz it's faster, easier, less expensive than having to create my own - especially for a website like that where "custom" images are not that important), then he'd either have to go out and buy some, or ask a friend, etc. then he may never get around to doing it.

That's also why many people use premade templates for their websites instead of creating their own (or use a software like Dreamweave or  FrontPage instead of hand-coding), cuz their goal and fulfillment is not to have to create a custom site from scratch, but to just get one up, finished fast and looking good.

So, I don't feel that we are disagreeing with each other here, we just have suggestions for people who can utilize any/all of those methods :love:

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:43 AM »
OKAY! sheesh you two.. you're like my sisters  :|  heh

Well, I took some of my own pictures, some of them are cool, some suck. There are 10 of them, and I use sessions so they randomly display on a page and you don't see the same image twice until you've seen all 10. Cool, eh? (These are the pics below the News section.)

I also have a royalty-free one that i used (see above)

leighsww

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2004, 11:29:11 AM »
LOL, and don't you just LOVE your sisters, mussavcom?!  :love: