Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: nothing special, just wondering  (Read 6606 times)

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
nothing special, just wondering
« on: July 23, 2004, 05:17:04 PM »
http://crosscreekva.com/chess

I made that for a friend at the high school I'm going to next year. Once the chess league starts, he'll put it on a new LunarPages account (so it doesn't use mine ;)). I got the template from OSWD (open-source web design, http://oswd.com) because I'm having trouble in the creativity department but modified it a bit (link colors, added onmouseover/out to navigation, added style to forms). What do you think of this site?

leighsww

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »
Looks GREAT, mussavcom!  :thumb:

Maybe later add an image of a chess piece(s) somewhere on there.  Possibly half-toned in the background of the upper title or such :P

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 07:02:54 PM »
Quote from: leighsww
Looks GREAT, mussavcom!  :thumb:

Like i said..
Quote from: mussavcom
I got the template from OSWD

Don't compliment me, I suck at web design  :(

leighsww

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 07:12:36 PM »
Well, you were asking what we thought of the site, and I KNOW you mentioned it was a template and I thought that template looked great, silly.

Then I added to my post, to possibly add an image later. Sheesh, you silly boy! If you don't want comments, don't ask! Make me waste my breath, why don't you!  :whip:

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 07:13:42 PM »
I'm just an enthusiasm-crusher. r. RR. are. errr. are. R, that's all.

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 07:14:34 PM »
I'll try, but then I'd have to draw a chess piece, and my imaging skillz suck too  :)  :(  :?  8-)  :whip:  :|  :-?  (if only there was 1 icon that mixed those 7)

leighsww

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 07:15:49 PM »
Do you mean "crusher"?  Well, you sure are!  But, that's okay.  I still think that template looks great for your chess theme and I'll still give you kudos for picking that particular template, so there  :poke:

leighsww

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »
I'll try, but then I'd have to draw a chess piece, and my imaging skillz suck too  :)

I'm sure you can find royalty free images of chess pieces somewhere off the Internet.

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 07:18:20 PM »
That's cheating.

leighsww

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 07:28:43 PM »
Why is that cheating?  That's what royalty free images are for, silly!  Especially if you want to use it for something like that website.  But, that's up to you.  If you want to create a chess piece and make it artsy and your own, the more power to you and I say GREAT!

But if you're complaining/whining about not being able to do it (saying that your imaging skills suck), etc. then my solution to you is ... just use a royalty free one.

Either, do your best to create one, or use a premade one and do your best to make it look good on the site.

You're gonna need to become a more positive thinker, mussavcom!  :D

Offline fretnmore

• Grandma Looney
  • Über Jedi
    • Tri Wolf Studios
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 07:37:55 PM »
mussavcom,

I have a picture of an entire chess set inside of a bottle. The bottle is about 4" high about 2" around with about a 1/2" opening in it. You can see it here

http://saw-online.com/Gallery/Picnic/2003%20Illinois/120F.jpg

And, no, I don't know how he got all of that inside that bottle. I don't even know how he cut anything that small! The chess pieces were hand made!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tri-Wolf Studios
Lunarpages Web Hosting
Lunarpages Forums
Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 07:53:03 PM »
um... i found a pic, now how do i make it all transparent? I only have Fireworks (mx 04).

leighsww

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
I'm afraid I don't do much in Fireworks, so that's gonna have to be one for Miraenda to help you with, mussavcom. Sorry.

Show me the image, however, so I can see what can be done with it.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 08:32:58 PM »
um... i found a pic, now how do i make it all transparent? I only have Fireworks (mx 04).

Is it a gif or png file? Only those support transparency.

In FW, go to the Help menu and select Using Fireworks. Do a search for "Making areas transparent"
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

leighsww

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 08:37:37 PM »
Also, when I said "half-toned" that's not the same as the "transparency" that you are thinking about (the kind done to gif and png so that the background is clear).  It's a "layer transparency" that I am referring to.  It will lighten the entire image so that it appears like a watermark.

Again, let me see the image so I can give you my feedback on what may look best.  :D