Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Aaryn Ddos attack.  (Read 22123 times)

Offline jsinger

• Spaceship Captain
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2004, 11:29:36 AM »
I see this as the status:
AARYN customers may notice httpd issues while strict firewall rule set is in place to block attack. All other services OK.

However, I can't access web, mail, or anything.

Jeff

Offline Dean_C

• Space Explorer
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2004, 11:32:39 AM »
Well, so much for that 99.9% uptime.

Not only is this causing loss of business revenue for me, but we're losing credibility as well. I had posted a message on my site alerting our customers to the problem and that it had been resolved, and here we are again today dealing with the same crap. Makes me look like a liar.

What is being done to protect those of us on the Aaryn server? I realize that attacks are out of your control, but I would think that there should be something in place to prevent a complete server meltdown. Especially since the same damn thing happened yesterday.

This is why I despise getting roped into prepaying for web hosting.

Offline sdivone

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2004, 11:39:53 AM »
I still can't get to my site or mail as well...

Offline Jester_rm

Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2004, 12:07:13 PM »
Our site on Aaryn is down as well, including the email (as of 1pm).  

www.visitorschoiceusa.com :(

Offline jsinger

• Spaceship Captain
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2004, 12:16:54 PM »
Well, the "45 minutes" I was told two hours ago has gone by :-(

Offline chad

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Cowboy
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2004, 12:20:09 PM »
We do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and assure you we are making changes, and implementing strict rules to help reduce the affects of attempted attacks on our servers.

We have firewalls, and other security measures in place to help prevent this situation, but its much like a "water-resistant" coat, or shoes. Its not going to help much in a hurricane, or typhoon.

Synfloods are full of useless bogus information and tcp/ip hits.  They can last for hours, as we all saw last evening.  The technical staff have been working on this, and have set the strict restrictions on the server to reduce the load, to at least keep the sites active. This particular instance lasted for close to an hour.

Even though our firewall, and routing can help to reduce the overall effects, sometimes these types of attacks are so quick and so brutal that it is impossible to prevent them, and only leaves us the option to resolve the issue at hand.

Not long ago, A major switch for some fairly large companies was hit.  This caused many a company to be unreachable, including the one of the biggest of all... Microsoft. So you can understand with as much security & protection a company like them has, if they can get hit, anyone can.

I assure you things like this instance are not ignored. We have in the past, and will continue to keep our servers as stable as possible. And compared to others, we do a fairly good job.
--Chad Riddle
Lunarpages Web Hosting

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2004, 12:32:11 PM »
Is this an "inside" job? A disgruntled (former) customer? Who outside LP would know about the servers, or know about specific ones? They could find out about them, but it would be an intentional act to hunt down Aaryn, no? Or, would attacks against specific sites on a server appear to be attacks to the server itself?
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »
At this point it appears to be an attack on the server itself.  but since I'm not fully privy to all things technical I can't say for absolute.

Really hard to say what the reasons would be.
I'd say at this point, though, that anything.. is possible these days.  Kinda like those who go "postal".

- Jay

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2004, 12:42:36 PM »
UPDATE:  

According to the SysAdmin staff, Aaryn is back online, fully functional however, you may notice some performance issues with http, due to firewall restrictions while they continue to block the attack.  

We hope to have it fully resolved soon.

- Jay

Offline romch

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • http://www.cutmastermusic.com
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2004, 12:47:54 PM »
nope.. mine's not working yet
www.cutmastermusic.com

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »
your domain is resolving in my webbrowser.

As I mentioned, some performance degradation will occur as the attack is still ongoing, but with the firewall rules filtering legitimate request.  this will result in slow pages and connections.

Offline Dean_C

• Space Explorer
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »
With all due respect, no, the server is not "Fully Functional", otherwise I could reach my site and process my email. This is far more than "some performance issues with http." My site is still completely unreachable. I am getting a "cannot find server" message no matter how many times I try to connect.

Offline jsinger

• Spaceship Captain
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2004, 12:54:31 PM »
Same here... web and mail not working.

Jeff

Offline w5ami

• Trekkie
    • http://www.arksky.org
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »
Mine is not working either.  Website or mail.

Is there any reason some are working, and some not at this point?

BTW, I appreciate the LP folks for doing what they can on this matter.  I am hearing there a lot of hosts down at this time, so take your pick.  Lunarpages is big and well known, so the more likely they are targeted.  I do hope something can be put in place to prevent, or help prevent this in the future on Aaryn.  I moved our site against my brother's wishes two weeks ago.  He doesn't like changes much, and doesn't really understand what goes on with the web.  I just don't want to hear "I told ya so" from him. :?

Brian

Offline jsinger

• Spaceship Captain
Aaryn Ddos attack.
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004, 01:00:38 PM »
So at what point are we going to be moved off aaryn if this is the only server being affected?  This is getting absurd!

Jeff