Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Hobby web site  (Read 1910 times)

Offline JimBrown

• Knowing enough to be dangerous!
  • Jabba the Hutt
    • Radio Control Aircraft Gallery
Hobby web site
« on: June 06, 2004, 07:18:12 PM »
Hi,

Looking for comments, pro and con, on my web site.

The purpose of my site is to display pictures and videos that I have taken to others who participate in my hobby.

Radio Control Aircraft Gallery

Thanks,
...jim

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Hobby web site
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 07:22:49 PM »
I really like the title's reflective look. :thumb:
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
Hobby web site
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 02:22:29 AM »
Taking a look at the moment, I've always wanted to get into RC planes and aircraft (I used to race scale touring cars), but haven't had the time or space to start a project.  That Airtours jumbo jet model is emmense... That really is an achievement, and I'll be the creator(s) are very proud of it.

I'll have to get back to you in a bit with comments on the site, just admiring some of the models at the moment.  :thumb:
<- From the ashes will rise a phoenix ->

Lunarpages Web Hosting || Lunarpages Forums || Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
Hobby web site
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:20:40 AM »
Two solid thumbs up  :thumb:  :thumb:

Nice clear and clean layout.  I like it, and it has made up my mind to make a jet shaped plane at some stage... I'd like an F15 Strike Eagle, or it the model could work an F22 Lightning  :o

Offline JimBrown

• Jabba the Hutt
Hobby web site
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »
Hush,

Ya thought the DC-10 was big? Try this one: http://www.peterdawson.co.uk/bigbuff.html

Or this one http://homepage.eircom.net/~skycam/c17construction-1.htm

:shock:  :shock:

And they are in the UK too!

F-22? No problem. Several flying now, some kits available.

If you'd really like to see what's up in the world of model aviation, try RCUniverse.com. (If you'd like something a bit quieter, but with good info and a Canadian slant, try RCCanada.ca.)

Thanks for the feedback on the site. One of my goals was to have something lean and easy.

I used the JAlbum picture gallery creator as a jumping off point. After tweaking the template files it uses for the galleries, I then used the same look'n'feel for the other pages. I even managed to tweak the cpanel supplied advanced guestbook, which was my first foray into php.  8-)

TranzNDance,

I got the logo from one of those free web graphics places, flamingtext.com if I recall correctly. I tried a bunch of styles until I hit that one. As soon as I saw it, I knew that's what I wanted.  :thumb:

More comments welcome!

Thanks,
...jim

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
Hobby web site
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 09:57:54 AM »
I'll take a look at those sites, the two links at the top, those planes are incredible... Especially the second one... Being big enough to put his baby into  :shock:

I'll have to wait until I move, but I'll have to build something...  :thumb:

Offline JimBrown

• Jabba the Hutt
Hobby web site
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 10:47:17 AM »
Hush,

I forgot to mention, the DC-10 in my gallery is no more. He crashed later that summer. I've got video of that flight, but have not edited it yet. It was a sad sight to see.

...jim

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
Hobby web site
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 11:08:51 AM »
I'll bet he was gutted to see it go down.  It's not nice to see something you've invested so much time in come to an end...

Offline JimBrown

• Jabba the Hutt
Hobby web site
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 07:05:16 AM »
One of the things I learned very early about this hobby is that it is not 'if' you crash, it is 'when' you crash. I've been flying these things since 1990. The oldest plane I have I built in 2000.

As I told the news cameraman as I picked up the pieces of my jet in the middle of a bean field in Ohio last year, "You know what we do when this kind of thing happens? We go out and get another one."

(That quote made the 11 o'clock news that night, as part of a fluff piece on the event.  :shock: )

You can't dwell on it. When a crash happens, you pick up the pieces, figure out what went wrong, learn from it and move on to the next plane.  :)

Anyway, the gentlemen with the big DC-10 has moved on, and I understand he's got another big jet in the works.

Later,
...jim

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
Hobby web site
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 12:23:32 PM »
Fantastic... Some of those jet engines look great  :thumb:

I figure I'd start of with making a basic electric model, styrafoam, that way the first few crashes won't be too expensive... I know all about crashing, the number of race chassis rebuilds I went through was rediculous.

IC next, but to have one of those jet engine setups... Wow... That's where I'd like to end up  :thumb:

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
Hobby web site
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:16 PM »
Only problem with the site is that the navigation does not remain constant on all pages.
When you click on a link you must click on a "home" link every time to go back to the links page.
And in addition to that the home page link is a different size, font, has a different look and is in a different place each time.
Which adds to the confusion.
You might want to think about a static row of buttons for your entire site on each page.
Because people don't like the back button.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com