Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Email not working!  (Read 4673 times)

Offline 20chickens

Email not working!
« on: May 15, 2004, 06:52:44 AM »
:cry:

Hello, can anyone tell me why my email has not worked for two days? Clients are getting "undeliverable messages" and I can't send any mail outbound either.

I clicked on "Server Status" under the "General Server Information" in my control panel and saw two items that seem to be having problems:

"exim (exim-4.34-0_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite_mailman2_mailtrap_exiscan)" is coming up "FAILED" with a blinking red circle

and also

"Server Load" seems to be exceeded.

Would either of these have to do with my email not working?

Please advise.

THANK YOU!

ChRiS

Offline FrankB

Email not working!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 07:08:30 AM »
SAME HERE!!!  What's up???  :whip:  All emails sent are kicking back. I too have to red circle on LOAD.

Priest

Email not working!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 07:10:50 AM »
Hello,

There was an issue on cerga this morning that was causing emails to bounce back.  It should be restored at this time though.  Were you both on cerga on are you on different servers?

Offline 20chickens

Email not working!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 07:17:57 AM »
Yes,

I am on Cerga.

Do you by any chance have an explanation of what happened? Is this something that can happen again? I now have to contact about 10 different clients whos email bounced back and ask them to send emails again- and explain the problem.

And what about my question of the "Server Status" fields that keep coming up as errors?

Thank you.

ChRiS

Priest

Email not working!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 07:31:04 AM »
Hello,

The cPanel doesn't really do an accurate job of detecting when user services and not responding.  When this issue first came in, I had one of the server techs restart exim, as this was the process that was flagged as failed.  It was running fine before the restart and restarted without issue.  Also, the load detector is really inaccurate.  It shows the load somewhere around what it actually is, but it does not take into account there are 4 CPU's instead of just one.

Now for the cause of the outtage.  There was a cronjob on the server that got stuck in an infinite loop.  It has been disabled and the originating user has been notified.  This is something that can always happen in a shared server environment.  To my knowledge (I worked the night shift last evening) email would have only been effected for a couple of hours, possibly around 6.  Issues like this always take a little longer than normal to find as the cause isn't directly apparent.  I apologize that this happened and the inconvenience that it has caused you and since the offending cron job has been disabled, it should not recur.

Offline 20chickens

Email not working!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 07:33:18 AM »
Thank you for your quick response.

Have a good day,

ChRiS

Priest

Email not working!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 07:34:17 AM »
My pleasure, if there is another more we can do for you, please let us know

Offline Kallinan

Email not working!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 10:12:34 AM »
Hi, my email stopped working this morning.  I use mail.monkiewicz.net as my SMTP server, and Mozilla Thunderbird now giving me the following error upon trying to send an email:

"An error occurred while sending mail.  The mail server responded:  Verification failed for <username@mydomain.net>

no such address here

Sender verify failed.  Please verify that your email address is correct in yolur Mail preferences and try again."

My webmail (Horde client) also can not send a test email.  And yes, my account is still there according to the CPanel.   I'll message staff with username and server if that will help.

Offline FrankB

Email not working!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 11:32:19 AM »
Still getting the kick back. Will this clear up soon?

Offline FrankB

Email not working!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 11:41:17 AM »
I guess I am on CHIRON?

Offline StephanieŽ

• Master Jedi
Email not working!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 11:48:42 AM »
Hi,

There was a slight error in the exim config files due to a cpanel upgrade which has now been resolved.
All mail should be functioning normally at this time.
If your mail is still down, please mail us at support@lunarpages.com

Offline Kallinan

Email not working!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 12:02:02 PM »
Quote from: StephanieŽ
There was a slight error in the exim config files due to a cpanel upgrade which has now been resolved.
All mail should be functioning normally at this time.

Everything is working, thank you.

Quote from: StephanieŽ
If your mail is still down, please mail us at support@lunarpages.com

Priceless...   :thumb:

In all seriousness, I realize most people have secondary/backup emails, but it's still funny.

Offline StephanieŽ

• Master Jedi
Email not working!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 11:32:48 PM »
He he,

Yes that's assuming most people have at the least an email account via their ISP or one of the many free ones around.
But yes I see your point kallinan  :P
It's a little like saying your car is broken down and the guy at the garage asking you to drive it over so he can look at it.
Perhaps I should have said "contact" rather than mail. :wink: