Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: *email-a-friend* needs  (Read 1991 times)

Offline urantiagate

• Spacescooter Operator
*email-a-friend* needs
« on: May 04, 2004, 05:40:04 AM »
Hi!

I want to set up a form for a "Tell-a-friend" e-mailler. I don't want to use a mailto link. And I don't want to outsource it. It seems that the CPanel/CGI CENTER/CGI Email function is the way to go.

But the 2 forms available don't seem to be what I need.

Specifically, I want to have on my page a "tell-a-friend" link or button which will bring up (pop-up?) a page with a form on it. The form will have fields for friend's email address, user's email address and a place for comments.

When the "submit" button is pushed the form will be automatically emailed to "friend". The email will include my webpage url.

I can outsource this but in spite of assurances, who knows what they will do with the info (or the company who buys them -- always a consideration)?

I don't want to know about *forms* at this point . I need something -- I think -- in the CGI-bin to send the email.

But, of course, something including the form would be great.

I am willing to consider non-CGI methods, but NOT "mailto" (it makes my Mozilla browser load new browsers until I frantically bring up the Process Manager and stop the Mozilla program, which causes me to lose anything I might have unsaved on Mozilla). IE works fine, but I want cross-browser compatibility -- if I have this problem, others do too. Clicking a "mailto" on a friend's Netscape brought up "mail client not installed". That's the kind of thing I want to avoid!

Peter

Offline Bilco105

• http://www.abusedreality.com
*email-a-friend* needs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 07:30:57 AM »
Quote from: urantiagate
Hi!

I want to set up a form for a "Tell-a-friend" e-mailler. I don't want to use a mailto link. And I don't want to outsource it. It seems that the CPanel/CGI CENTER/CGI Email function is the way to go.

But the 2 forms available don't seem to be what I need.

Specifically, I want to have on my page a "tell-a-friend" link or button which will bring up (pop-up?) a page with a form on it. The form will have fields for friend's email address, user's email address and a place for comments.

When the "submit" button is pushed the form will be automatically emailed to "friend". The email will include my webpage url.

I can outsource this but in spite of assurances, who knows what they will do with the info (or the company who buys them -- always a consideration)?

I don't want to know about *forms* at this point . I need something -- I think -- in the CGI-bin to send the email.

But, of course, something including the form would be great.

I am willing to consider non-CGI methods, but NOT "mailto" (it makes my Mozilla browser load new browsers until I frantically bring up the Process Manager and stop the Mozilla program, which causes me to lose anything I might have unsaved on Mozilla). IE works fine, but I want cross-browser compatibility -- if I have this problem, others do too. Clicking a "mailto" on a friend's Netscape brought up "mail client not installed". That's the kind of thing I want to avoid!

Peter
Code: [Select]
http://www.phptell.com/
Has just become free software and seems to do everything you want. You should give it a try.
Kind Regards,
Robert Greenwood

Offline skeetley

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
*email-a-friend* needs
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 07:32:33 AM »
hotscripts.com has many.  I wrote my own in PHP.  I like mine because it logs when, what and who the info was sent to.
- Tell them skeetley sent you...