Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: "550 in your email client"  (Read 5961 times)

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
"550 in your email client"
« on: May 03, 2004, 08:02:05 AM »
Well, it's happening again, and I can't see that any solutions have been posted in the seven months since I asked last time, so....

I had been able to send mail on my Lunarpages account. Then suddenly, in the middle of things, having changed nothing, reset nothing, installed nothing, in the middle of a session this morning, I can no longer send mail through Lunarpages. (I could earlier, but when I went to send the next message, having done nothing in the interim but write the next message, suddenly I couldn't send any more.) Instead, I get the error message "550 in your email client", which has something to do with authorization. I haven't messed with any of the settings, and authorization is set up the way Lunarpages wants it.

For now, I'm having to use my local ISP to send my Lunarpages mail. I expect in a few hours or days everything will magically be okay again. But does anybody know what causes this outage? Is there a way of avoiding it, or should I just still with working around it?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 11:57:47 PM »
Have things returned to you being able to send from LP's server? What probably happened was that your ISP disallowed sending from any SMTP server besides its own.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

leighsww

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 12:36:48 AM »
Eliz - you should just stick with sending from your ISP's outgoing.  That's what I do. Is there a reason you prefer sending through LP's SMTP?

I prefer sending from my ISP's outgoing, because when my LP server is down, at least I can still send out email.

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 04:04:06 AM »
TranzNDance: It comes and goes. At the moment, I can send just fine.

leighsww: My local ISPs mail server is less than utterly reliable. Besides, if I'm sending mail "from Purplemath" (my domain), I'd like the IP address to be Purplemath. I dunno; I just do. Is that silly?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 07:54:45 AM »
stapel,

I don't think people really look at IP addresses unless they are concerned that an email message is spam or is infected. If it gets to that point, I don't think you'd want your domain associated with that. :)

Offline ian

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 07:26:14 PM »
I agree with stapel, it's often better for the person who is going to finally get your email not to know the who your local isp is.

There is another reason as well, if you are like me and travel a lot, my email client in my laptop is setup to use LP entirely - I don't have to take any notice where in the world I'm plugged into the internet...

I have the same problem as stapel - the 550 errors come and go - at the moment they are there for 1 of my LP domains, but not another! So it is unlikely to be the local ISP I'm connected to - as surely they would either let both or neither through....

Thoughts anyone? Why does it happen? Bug with windows??

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 07:35:09 PM »
However, the point was if your ISP blocks other SMTP servers, what can you do? It is preferable to use one's domain in that it's easier to remember and the authentication is the same as incoming, but sometimes one has to make do with what's available. :?

I'm running Windows XP Pro, OL 2002, my domain's SMTP and do not encounter that error.

BTW, did you check the setting for outgoing server authentication?

Offline ian

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 08:02:28 PM »
Quote from: TranzNDance
However, the point was if your ISP blocks other SMTP servers, what can you do? It is preferable to use one's domain in that it's easier to remember and the authentication is the same as incoming, but sometimes one has to make do with what's available. :?

Unfortunately so, though I do try and stay away from those local ISP's!

Quote from: TranzNDance
I'm running Windows XP Pro, OL 2002, my domain's SMTP and do not encounter that error.

BTW, did you check the setting for outgoing server authentication?

Yep, checked that. I run windows 2000 on everything (including laptop), with eudora as the email client..  At home (as I am now) I'm connected with a 1.5mb adsl line and I collect email from multiple remote ISP's - including two different accounts (on different servers) with LP.

All the email addresses at LP have the same setup, all of them are receiving email fine, all the ones on one server are sending it fine, the others are getting 550 messages on attempting to send... Usernames and passwords must be OK as they are receiving OK..

This happens every now and again, I've learnt to wait it out. Rebooting my machine and adsl modem makes no difference, as does resetting the password in eudora, or turning off the firewall. I suspect it is something external at either the local ISP or LP.

I'll just try and send mail every now and again, and eventually the problem will just disappear without me doing anything. I'd still like to know what is happening though!!!

On other remote ISP's (not LP) I can always telnet to the mail server and pretend to be the email client at the command prompt - that's normally a very fast way to see what's going on.. :-) But I don't think you can do that with LP (if so, let me know how! as telnet mail.mydomain.com certainly doesn't work..).

Offline gooner

• Space Explorer
    • http://www.hammock-hammockchairs.com
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 01:19:32 PM »
I've been trying to set up Pegasus as my email client today and I'm getting this 550 error when I try to send mail.

The problem as far as I can see ( I don't know much about this stuff) is a difference between what cPanel has as my login IP - 127.0.0.1. and my real login IP.

A quick search on google says this is usually down to server configuration.

Anyone know if this is likely to be the case?

Offline ian

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 07:52:36 PM »
Interesting, I'll keep an eye on the cpanel... After 3 days of 550 arrors on one of my accounts (which happened no matter which computer/client I tried to send email from..), this morning it all worked (no change at my end..).

I'm starting to suspect something at LP - though it could be my local ISP doing strange things... It just can't be me as it happens on multiple machines and fixes itself!!!

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 08:10:33 PM »
Quote from: gooner
I've been trying to set up Pegasus as my email client today and I'm getting this 550 error when I try to send mail.

The problem as far as I can see ( I don't know much about this stuff) is a difference between what cPanel has as my login IP - 127.0.0.1. and my real login IP.

A quick search on google says this is usually down to server configuration.

Anyone know if this is likely to be the case?

That's what cPanel shows as my IP address and I have no problems with my account.

Offline ian

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 09:01:40 PM »
Quote from: ian
Interesting, I'll keep an eye on the cpanel... After 3 days of 550 arrors on one of my accounts (which happened no matter which computer/client I tried to send email from..), this morning it all worked (no change at my end..).

I'm starting to suspect something at LP - though it could be my local ISP doing strange things... It just can't be me as it happens on multiple machines and fixes itself!!!

I've been emailing for weeks with no problem, and a lot today, and it went 550 on me a few minutes ago between sending a few emails. (And the control panel does have my correct tcp/ip address) It can't be my ISP or my email package (eudora), as all the other emails I send through other servers still work...
I suspect there is a problem at the LP end, but I'm not sure it's ever going to be found...

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 09:19:37 PM »
The IP of 127.0.0.1 is the loopback IP address... it's essentially the same as "localhost".

When I've had this type of error before in Eudora, I end up changing the "Secure Settings when Sending" to "Never" on the properties page for the personality, and the error goes away almost immediately. So my guess is that it might have something to do with how the mail client is trying to authorize itself with the SMTP server at LP.

- Marc
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.

Offline ian

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 09:37:27 PM »
Quote from: GMTurner
The IP of 127.0.0.1 is the loopback IP address... it's essentially the same as "localhost".

When I've had this type of error before in Eudora, I end up changing the "Secure Settings when Sending" to "Never" on the properties page for the personality, and the error goes away almost immediately. So my guess is that it might have something to do with how the mail client is trying to authorize itself with the SMTP server at LP.

- Marc

It always has to be "Never" with LP (at least, it always had to be last time I checked..) And yes, 550 is an auth failure - the problem is WHY it is failing...