Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Setting Up a One-Way Announcements List With Mailman  (Read 7509 times)

katrina1

Setting Up a One-Way Announcements List With Mailman
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:25:23 AM »
If you've looked at the Mailman FAQ at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp , you may have noticed you don't have direct access to what they mention. You can, however, setup such a list using the Admin Panel in Mailman.

Setup:

1. Delete the following text from  the General list information page by editing it in your Mailman Admin panel. It's under  Other Administrative Activities - Edit public HTML pages

"To post a message to all the list members, send email to
   <A HREF="mailto:<MM-Posting-Addr>"><MM-Posting-Addr></A>."

2. Under General Options, either turn off the Welcome message and subscribe people manually or add to the welcome message a note that you do not accept posts to the list. Also, turn off include the List-Post: header (at the bottom).

3. Under Privacy Options, Sender Filters, moderate new member postings to yes, reject posts, rejection notice should say something like  "Sorry, you cannot post to this list.", Discard or reject posts from non-members, and don't forward their posts to the moderator.

4. Under Membership Management, Additional Members Tasks,  Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not currently visible to ON and click on Set button. Then go through the membership list there and unset the bit for anyone who is allowed to post such as yourself.

I think that should do it.

Offline satirista

• Spacescooter Operator
    • http://www.elizabethhanes.com
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »
Thank you for this helpful tutorial.  :yey:  A one-way announcement list is exactly what I need.

One remaining problem, though, is the welcome message. I can't figure out a way to edit out the "to post to this list..." section.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

katrina1

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 07:09:24 PM »
Because the Mailman script is not directly accessible by users, you can't edit the welcome message. You can either add a note to the Welcome Message under General Options - "List-specific text prepended to new-subscriber welcome message" to tell people that this is a one-way list and posts are not accepted or you can just turn off the welcome message so that it is not sent. You can always send your own Welcome message by regular email.

Offline walter4

• Spacescooter Operator
Re: Setting Up a One-Way Announcements List With Mailman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:16:09 AM »
This has realy helped me get started, I need to work around some issues that Cube Cart is having with it's mass emailing, I'm trying to use mailman, I've gotten to the point of having just a message sent but I need to get rid if the footer that has a link to the mailing list, each costomer has already joined the mailing list via Cube Cart, I don't want to confuse people, they also have the ability to get off the mailing list from Cube Cart, however Cube cart has current issues that I'm trying to fix, and I need a work around like mail man to give me the ability to send out mass emails through the holidays.

Can anyone tell me how to just send a simple message with out the links at the bottom of the email?

Offline Nippithon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:37:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to just send a simple message with out the links at the bottom of the email?

Just delete the footer. It's in the Mailman administration panel under Non-digest Options. I got rid of mine, too, but I think it was:

%(real_name)s mailing list
%(real_name)s@%(host_name)s
%(web_page_url)slistinfo%(cgiext)s/%(_internal_name)s

Offline cyberfactotum

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:48:52 PM »
WHY is "the Mailman script...not directly accessible by users"? All we would need is access to the directory where the mailman templates are and we could do everything we need to. WHY can't I get to my own mailman directory? What is the logic behind this from Lunarpages POV?

Because the Mailman script is not directly accessible by users, you can't edit the welcome message. You can either add a note to the Welcome Message under General Options - "List-specific text prepended to new-subscriber welcome message" to tell people that this is a one-way list and posts are not accepted or you can just turn off the welcome message so that it is not sent. You can always send your own Welcome message by regular email.

Offline scanman20

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
    • http://www.notonebit.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:48:56 AM »
Or, you could just use the Simple Mailing List found here http://www.notonebit.com/projects/mailinglist/
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
NotOneBit.com
MCSE - MCSA - MCP (<- unused since 2006!)

Offline cyberfactotum

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the link. I may indeed use this redcommended mailing list. I know there are other mailing lists out there, no doubt some of them much better than Mailman.

But, since Mailman IS offered by LunarPages, I still wonder why it is being offered in such a limited fashion. Not being able to change templates that were designed to be changeable doesn't make sense to me. I still wonder why we don't have access to the directories containing our mailman files. What's the reason? Is it because Mailman is tied up as a quick and dirty mailing list solution with the control panel email options?

Offline GMTurner

• Berserker Poster
    • Turner's Lounge
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
My guess is that it is not well designed for a shared hosting environment so those files that could be changed would end up being shared between accounts... it can handle separate "lists" though without a problem, so users can have their own list within the larger system which is shared... not sure if that makes sense, but it might explain things...
The above information may or may not reflect current policy, opinions, or views since it was likely made almost 10 years ago.