Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Webalizer stats quit being 'accurate' in January  (Read 3854 times)

Offline greenie

• Spacescooter Operator
Webalizer stats quit being 'accurate' in January
« on: April 12, 2004, 07:32:27 PM »
I know that certain stats will only update when there is server time but this does not seem to be the problem. Webalizer stats for my site on Sirius - partsforindustry.com - have been unbelievable since Jan. 1 this year. Here is what I am seeing for monthly totals:
    ------------------Hits----------Pages-------Visits
    December----507,167-----61,674-----60,899
    January------671,476------15,938-----11,777
    February-----832,209------15,504------4,500
    March--------954,609--------6,758------3,641[/list:u]
    So, my hits are growing, as are the MB served, but my page views and visits are going through the floor. March almost doubled December's hits but has only *~10%* of the page views and *~5%* of the visits!?!? I don't think so. In 2003, all seemed kosher, but 2004 is a statistics disaster with Webalizer.

Since my business has essentially doubled in the last few months, I tend to believe the hits are correct.

Any clues?

Offline skeetley

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 07:45:32 PM »
greenie, webalizer stats and analog stats in cpanel are often wrong.  You should download the raw access logs and run them through a local version of webalizer/analog/some other program.

Also, have you read the Webalizer Quick Help to know what exactly each field represents?

Finally, do you have any other domains on this account?
- Tell them skeetley sent you...

Offline greenie

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:20:31 PM »
Yes. I have read the Webalizer help.

No. There are no other domains on this account.

Do you have a suggestion of a program to handle the raw access logs?

Thanks.

Offline skeetley

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 05:38:13 AM »
Hmm, not sure what is best for you.  If use the search there are many stats programs recommended.  AWstats and such.  Personally I am nice and simple and have a local version of Analog (the beta version not the one CPanel uses).  It does what I need and was a nice and easy install.  If you want you could send me you log, I can send you back the report and then you would know if you like the Analog I have and how much it varies from your webalizer stats in cpanel.  Or you download it yourself as it is pretty simple.
- Tell them skeetley sent you...

Offline greenie

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:34:47 PM »
Thanks. I'll give some of them a try. I appreciate your offer but I'd rather have it local. Installing them should not be a problem.