Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Autoresponders and Spam  (Read 2389 times)

Offline AaronG

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • slowlane.net
Autoresponders and Spam
« on: March 28, 2004, 10:43:55 PM »
I have a particular email account which I have had forever. But it get approx ~70 spam emails a day. So I have given up on it, and created an autoresponder which sends a reply telling the sender (some emails will be from real people) where to find my new email address.

But... if the reply to address is fake (which alot of them are), the autoresponder fails and sends on a "Mail Delivery System" message to my default lunarpages email account. So I am still getting 50 error messages a day. Just to that account.

The question is... how do I stop the autoresponder creating error messages to default account?

Danielle

Autoresponders and Spam
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 10:59:14 PM »
Hi AaronG,

You could do a filter that would put those autoresponder fail messages to trash or something.  Go into your filtering area and select what the failed autoresponder has for some of its components in the fields and filter it.  Alternatively, you coud go into spam assassin and set up a filter there instead.

Thanks

Offline AaronG

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • slowlane.net
Autoresponders and Spam
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 12:24:31 AM »
mmmm filters are good. :+)

Thanks

Offline w98

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://iandouglas.com
Autoresponders and Spam
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 07:57:48 AM »
Sendmail is handy for this. There's actually a configuration option that can be set to forward "double bounce" messages to another mailbox.

When I was running my own hosting server, I had it set to a mailbox alias that simply forwarded to "/dev/null" - essentially deleting the double-bounced message from the system so I didn't have to read them.

Having a "/dev/null" alias on LP would be kind of handy since I still get Email to invalid accounts...