Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Who really cares?  (Read 7676 times)

Offline GirlGamerJae

• Galactic Royalty
Who really cares?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2004, 05:01:45 PM »
Quote from: sharpandpointless
you people cannot interpret correctly or what?
i said look at the sites people post there for sitechecks or coolsites.
most of the non-noob ones (which are the majority, not the minority, unlike places like flashkit and ultrashock) will most likely inspire anyone who has any sort of aesthetic taste.

I did look at them, and as I said there was some awesome work there.  But bells and whistles and ubercool and flash and wizbangs don't always make a great site.  Sometimes a just plain well done simple website that serves the purpose it was designed for and has no glitches or problems is a wonder to behold.  Sometimes simplicity can be an artform in and of itself.  

And as for the "interpret" comment... you obviously didn't read my post as I did go and look at the work and I did admire it, and I was inspired.  But from what you are saying I should feel stupid because I don't think my website is a bunch of hooey after looking at what those sites contained.  I don't feel stupid, or humbled or feel like my work is a bunch of crap.

And besides.. I think most people post their site to have other people check it out to make sure it all works, there aren't problems and if perhaps they can get some insight on a change here or there or some suggestions for improvement.  I don't think most people post in this thread as a "bragging" type thing.

And you know what I care.  I care that people want to post their websites, because you never know what you will see, or learn something new, or get a new perspective, new information..etc.  It isn't that hard to be nice.  If you don't care to look.. don't click.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
-quote from Berthold Auerbach, Author

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Who really cares?
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2004, 05:04:12 PM »
Google.com is a prime example of functionality trumping flashiness.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline GirlGamerJae

• Galactic Royalty
Who really cares?
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2004, 05:06:28 PM »
Quote from: TranzNDance
Google.com is a prime example of functionality trumping flashiness.

Exactly.... that is just so the point. :yey:
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
-quote from Berthold Auerbach, Author

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
Who really cares?
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2004, 06:18:07 PM »
maddox's website is also an example of something that gets traffic.
but is it aethetically pleasing? no.
the guy who runs the site, however, could beat anyone down in almost any argument haha.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline Guldstrand

• Galactic Royalty
    • EgenSida
Who really cares?
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »
Quote from: Ripta
(Disclaimer: This post is not a flame...)

Quote from: ctcrmcou

Now get out there and build some decent sites!

Hmm.. don't you think "decent" is very subjective? I mean... why bother looking at sites you don't enjoy anyway? :( I'm not saying not to stop criticizing. It can help people to do better. But saying "you're really wasting my time with your lowly websites *insert villainous laugh*" won't help either.

If decency is design, many people are just starting out. I think donovanh has brought this up. And, yes, I do believe most "check my site out" posts are posted by (in quotes) newbies. Professional designers may think, "your website sucks!"

If decency is content... lotsa ways to view that. I don't personally like posting my vacation pictures, but I like looking at others'. It's nice to see sunset pictures, beaches, the ocean or just pictures of people laughing and having fun when I'm frustrated with school. That's art to me.

I can remember seeing a photography site that uses "gold" arial fonts over a black background. No, the layout was not particularly great, but the content was awesome. Photography happens to be the site owner's hobby; not web-design.

Shrug. Just my personal thought anyway :D.

Oh, one more thing that is not related to the above:

Quote from: ctcrmcou

Look at kids these days. They are punks and sluts, and all want to be noticed.

I'm proud to be a kid and I say I want to be noticed. "Punk" I can handle; I'm not exactly the most well mannered person around. But slut?

Great post "Ripta"!   :thumb:  

I totaly agree with you..  

Look at kids these days. They are punks and sluts, and all want to be noticed.

ctcrmcou: Do you have some experience of "punks" and "sluts", otherwise take it easy.
::: Guldstrand :::

That i donīt allready know, i really want to learn...

Offline allscots

• http://www.domination-desires.com
Who really cares?
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2004, 01:13:23 AM »
every person is on a learning curve and each web site has a different reason for being on the web.

if someone posts cos they want some positive critique and intend to use that feedback to improve..then thats fab.

To trash a site, offer no positive feedback and then claim how wonderful your own sites are...

its not big and its not clever.

Danielle

Who really cares?
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2004, 01:33:53 AM »
I think, since there are forums created just for people to post about their sites, that it doesn't matter what reason the person had for posting about their site--if it was for feedback to improve, to show off, to have some hits to their site for advertisement, whatever. Basically, this talk is all about judging other people when we usually have no right to do so.  If your site is perfect, feel free to judge other people's reasons for posting about theirs or lack of perfection on their site.  I love to look at new sites. They inspire me and everyone has something unique to share. Their site might look similar to a bunch of others, but it is still their inspiration, their life and story. Leave them alone and focus on your own please.