Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Who really cares?  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Ripta

• Master Jedi
Who really cares?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2004, 02:54:34 PM »
Quote from: binaryblue
Quote from: leighsww
Hmm... "bashing"? Is that what all the  :whip: and  :evil: in FUN is all about? :D

LOL ... why, yes, my dear!  That is exactly what the  :whip:  :poke:  :evil:  :o  :twisted:  :shock:  are for!

Nice! I can't help but think :evil: is more of a :look-at-me-i'm-so-cute-kind-of-evil:.

:D

And we can do more nesting fun!
GetAFreelancer! (This service is not affiliated with Lunarpages)

leighsww

Who really cares?
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2004, 02:56:30 PM »
Nice! I can't help but think :evil: is more of a :look-at-me-i'm-so-cute-kind-of-evil:.

Hey, it can be anything you want it to be.  It's all in how you use it!  :evil:

leighsww

Who really cares?
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2004, 02:57:29 PM »
Hmm... "bashing"? Is that what all the  :whip: and  :evil: in FUN is all about? :D

LOL ... why, yes, my dear!  That is exactly what the  :whip:  :poke:  :evil:  :o  :twisted:  :shock:  are for!

No, no, please stop that.  That is a no-no and worth 2000  :whip:  :poke:

I'm going to have to scold Ed, Skeetley and whoever else was responsible for that bit of posting.  We got google-eyed :o from that thread!

Offline netmasterbill

• Spaceship Navigator
Who really cares?
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2004, 03:00:04 PM »
Most excellent post,  leighsww.  :yey:
I have to go take my nap now.

Offline Ripta

• Master Jedi
Who really cares?
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2004, 03:03:01 PM »

No, no, please stop that.  That is a no-no and worth 2000  :whip:  :poke:

I'm going to have to scold Ed, Skeetley and whoever else was responsible for that bit of posting.  We got google-eyed :o from that thread!

HAY! I took part in that post as well! :D It was fun :wink:
GetAFreelancer! (This service is not affiliated with Lunarpages)

leighsww

Who really cares?
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2004, 03:16:10 PM »
Aha, so you are already a li'l  :evil: ! LOL!!

(*scold, scold, scold*)  :whip:

Good fun!  :love:

Offline donovanh

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • http://www.designni.com
Who really cares?
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2004, 08:43:42 AM »
Thanks KJones :D No hard feelings.

By the way, i'm glad you like the sites! ;)

Offline azwaldo

• Spacescooter Operator
    • edParadigm
Please DON'T look at my website, unless you mean it.
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »
Surfing on the web, in this way, is similar to channel surfing with a remote:  You can tell in about 0.15 moments if you want to continue seeing what you are looking at.  
As to the "Look at my website" issue, I would take this opportunity to post a link to my website and invite your feedback; but, I have always stopped short of posting a "Look at my website" link, mainly for two reasons mentioned in this thread.
    1) There is a small nagging sense of some "Look at me, look at me" syndrome that
ctcrmcou eluded to[/list:u]
    2) The comments that I see at the "Look at my website" threads at sites such as
SitePoint and FlashKit are overwhelmingly just simple mention of some vague impression, with very few postings that are meant to be constructive.[/list:u]

And yet, I know that I would benefit from feedback after a visit by some experienced eyeballs.  And that is one of the best resources for a newbie.

So, as a relative beginner at web design, and as a programming hobbyist from way back (first 'byte' into the internet was on ARPANet in '77), I would be quite interested in what a veteran developer thought of my designs. I will not post a "Look at my website" reply here, but will now add my homepage URL to my profile and invite your feedback, since I am apparently addressing an intelligent group about design.
(Last previous post on this thread: two weeks ago.  Better late that never)
azwaldo

"Will teach for food."

Offline allscots

• http://www.domination-desires.com
Who really cares?
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2004, 05:33:02 PM »
I think this thread can put people off from sharing new sites they have made.

Everyone was a newbie at one time and well its nice to be nice
xx

Offline Mithrandread

• Galactic Royalty
    • Welcome To Dread's House
Who really cares?
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2004, 11:50:46 PM »
Yes, I'd have to say, the last thing I want is someone trashing my hard work. That's why I haven't added my site here. I'm a newbie, and my web site sucks big time, but I'm no professional, nor do I intend to be. My site is all about me, and my interests, so I don't mind that it looks horrible. What matters to me is the hard work and energy that I've put into it.

Another thing is that people who critcize other people's sites don't realize the circumstances that those people are in. For example, my site has lots of clashing colors and large fonts. Why? Because that's what I can see. I am almost totally blind. I see mostly light, loud colors, and blurs. Most often, I use a screen reader to read, but sometimes, I lose patience, and I just put the book right up to my face. If I'm at the computer, I put my face right on the monitor screen. So, If someone tells me to dump the loud colors on my site, I can do that, but then, I can't see my own site!

The vast majority of the folks here at Lunarpages are really nice, considerate, and helpful people. I've received lots of help from several folks in particular. However, I also know that the majority of people around here would leave my site as soon as they got to it. Oh well, I guess that's how it is...But, here's what makes it all worthwhile: One day, about three weeks ago, I received a call at my home in Colorado from a gentleman from Oslo, Norway. He'd been searching for some pictures of a well-known disability rights activist who has since passed away. He needed them for an article that he was writing about independent living. His search was fruitless until he accidently came across my site. He saw the pics he wanted, and actually phoned me to get my permission to snag them, and use them in his article. We had a good chat, and he told me that it was an honor to speak with someone who knew the activist. I've gotten similar calls and e-mails throughout the six years that my site has been up, so, though I know my site is bad, I also know that on occasion, it has provided inspiration for others, and thats a good reason for me to keep it up.

http://dread1mynproductions.com
Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards?? Easier said than done!

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
Who really cares?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2004, 09:56:41 AM »
Hey fool, everyone here should watch what they're saying.
And anyways, your site sucks.
No offense but from an aesthetic pov it's horrible.
It fits into the leaning that I happen to have of thinking that 99.9% of the websites out there are crap. That just benefits me, as if I even manage to build a mediocre site, then it is already better than 99% of the sites out there.
And I'm glad I'm young, so I have a long time to refine my skills to the point where anything I sneeze out becomes some of the best stuff on the net, and anything I actually work on can make people's heads explode from jealousy.
(By putting in the first sentence irony is meant.)
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

• Jabba the Hutt
Who really cares?
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2004, 10:05:08 AM »
Oh, if you really want to see the level of sites go up, then go to
24-7media.de/forum
organicflash.com
and a few others i can't remember the urls to.
by the way, most anyone that looks at the sites on these sites will realize what utter crap their sites are.
thus humbling us all, encouraging us to all work harder, and deflate our egos.

if it doesn't, then you must just be stupid.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Offline GirlGamerJae

• Galactic Royalty
Who really cares?
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2004, 01:26:52 PM »
Quote from: sharpandpointless
24-7media.de/forum
organicflash.com
and a few others i can't remember the urls to.
by the way, most anyone that looks at the sites on these sites will realize what utter crap their sites are.
thus humbling us all, encouraging us to all work harder, and deflate our egos.

if it doesn't, then you must just be stupid.

As much as I love amazing sites that suit no purpose other than to be full of eye candy and bells and whistles (I can really appreciate the artistry and hard work that goes into them..)  Bells and whistles and eye candy are not the be all and end all to having a good site.  A fully functional site with good layout and information can be just as good a site and the lack of berflash and techno music blaring in the background doesn't make the site a bunch of crap.  I looked at the site you mentioned organicflash and personally I wasn't impressed.  It is just another forum where people can post examples of their artistry and skills with certain programs.. what is so wonderful about that?  The site itself is pretty boring looking.. just another clone of a another forum basically.. was I missing something? Cool webwork on the other forum you mentioned.. nice flash sites, but even with a cable connection I hate waiting for flash to load....but the sites in the works in progress are pretty amazing..

I looked at both of the sites you mentioned and still don't think the site I designed for our band is a bunch of utter crap, and I don't think that should make me labeled as "stupid".  It suits it's purpose and does it's job.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
-quote from Berthold Auerbach, Author

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Who really cares?
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2004, 01:34:03 PM »
Quote from: sharpandpointless
24-7media.de/forum
organicflash.com

I guess it's relative...
The first site had a dark background which made it hard to read... and once I returned to LF, the effect is like going from a dark room to outdoors.

The second one had really light font, which also made it hard to read.

As GirlGamerJae pointed out, those sites are forums like any other.

I can't provide further critique or compliments because the sites are hard on my eyes, so I can't look too long. :(
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

• Jabba the Hutt
Who really cares?
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2004, 02:49:35 PM »
you people cannot interpret correctly or what?
i said look at the sites people post there for sitechecks or coolsites.
most of the non-noob ones (which are the majority, not the minority, unlike places like flashkit and ultrashock) will most likely inspire anyone who has any sort of aesthetic taste.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com